Papi93 is offline AR VET

Roundhouse Kick - Shin or Top of Foot?

In TKD, the roundhouse kick uses the top of the foot. Muay Thai uses the shin, from what I have read. Do they use the flat part of the tibia or the anterior tibialis muscle to land the kick? When hitting the heavy bag, I've found you can really generate a lot of power when using the instep. Of the various arts, what technique for the roundhouse kick is the most effective?
    Thanks!

billy_ba is offline Associate Member
    using the instep can generate more power but it can also rish you breaking your ankle. If you dont believe me, kick a heavy bag with your instep and notice how much your foot bends back your ankle. On a harder kick you can hurt yourself pretty bad. I have done this before when I was a newb at upfighting. Also if someone blocks the kick with their elbow, you can break the little bones on the top of your foot. This is why I always try to hit with the lower part of the shin on headkicks.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by billy_ba
    using the instep can generate more power but it can also rish you breaking your ankle. If you dont believe me, kick a heavy bag with your instep and notice how much your foot bends back your ankle. On a harder kick you can hurt yourself pretty bad. I have done this before when I was a newb at upfighting. Also if someone blocks the kick with their elbow, you can break the little bones on the top of your foot. This is why I always try to hit with the lower part of the shin on headkicks.
    Thanks for the info! Are you hitting with flat lower part of the tibia?

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Chin, top of the foot dont really do nothing

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by sonar1234
    Chin, top of the foot dont really do nothing
    Chin? I'm assuming you meant shin. That's with the lower flat part of the tibia bone, correct?

Heavy bag work would be the best way of toughening the shin, wouldn't it?
    Last edited by striker93; 08-16-2005 at 09:14 PM.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    it will hurt more if you connect with the shin,

personally, in sparring, I typically always land with the top of my foot due to the distancing

and yes, bagwork is the best way to toughen your shins

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I go along with what Billy Ba says, he rarely makes a mistake here.

Speaking personally I prefer the lower end of my shin for all kicks. As for toughing my shin's, I really don't bother with any particular technique as lots of sparring will do it. Plus my shins take a battering in Judo too.

ez2plz_1 is offline New Member

roundhouse kick

There is more than one way to do a roundhouse kick. lead leg (defensive) or rear leg (offensive) depending on your combination pattern, your footing, and your opponents positioning all of that has do do with what type of roundhouse kick you are going to apply. If i were going to throw a kick to the leg or stomach i would use the lower part of my shin. if i were in a position to have my opponent moving at angle and away from me when i was on the offinsive i would go to the head and use my instep. Im sure someone could wright a book or at least a long chapter on the various uses of a R.h. kick and the application therof.
    Last edited by ez2plz_1; 08-17-2005 at 02:50 PM.

coalkick is offline New Member
    Top of the foot for a "proper" RH...to toughen shins...wack at a sandbag. That will do the trick.

Zomboo is offline New Member

Toughening shin

Another cheap trick to toughen your shin...

Take an empty PLASTIC coke bottle (with a lid)

Rub the bottle up and down your shin applying pressure as desired.

It sounds gh3y, but it works.

simm is offline Senior Member
    The only reason i use the instep is b'cause using the shin means being closer 2 your opponent and therefore increasing the chance of gettin caught wiv straight right or overhand looper...Saying that,i am increasing my chances with foot injuries as mentioned earlier in this discussion....Foot injury is better than being sparked out in my opinion!!!

Thread Information