Papi93 is offline AR VET

An Opponent That Likes To Crowd You.

In Tae Kwon Do, we can only use punches and kicks as our strikes. I have a fairly long reach with my legs and it puts the majority of my opponents at a disadvantage. As a result, they like to crowd me and then throw their techniques. I use jab kicks and punches to keep opponents off. There are times when they break this defense. I've found giving my opponent a little pushoff helps but the instructors frown upon this. Another technique that seems to work is a jumping spin kick. Does anyone have a techique that they find effective? Thanks for the help!

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    I was taught jumping was a quick way to get knocked on your ass. As a fellow tall guy, I find the best way to keep my reach advantage is to use my reach advantage.

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Counter back kick worked fine for me, in the clinch when the guy was coming pertty close i would punch them in the protective gear.

I am 5 feet 10 and i pertty much did the 45 angle side side when i fought taller guys.

The drop axe kick works pertty good too for a tall guy.

ez2plz_1 is offline New Member
    i had this problem also. my answer to you is to cross train into boxing. if you want to up your level of fighting you have to cross train. im not getting off the subject and i understand your problem but just give me a moment if you will. tkd amd american karate are good sports and a great self defence as well. but when it comes to sparing you have to have a better game than the other guy. now i dont know if you are talking about point fighting or just a 2 or 3 minute fight but what i learned is you need a big bag of tricks. as far as the guy crowding you, that is a good one, these boys think they have your # by closing the gap on you what you need to do is learn some boxing comboes an mix them with yout tkd. when you catch these guys with a 3 or 4 shot hand combo and then a round house to the head when they are retreating, get as good look at their face. you cant go wrong mixing styles boxing, tkd, bjj, make your game the best only ignorant people think that their style and their style only is dominant

by the way ax kicks and spin head kicks are once in a while shots, the only work once in a while, but you might find yourself flat on your as* with someone who is worth a sh*t.

This is why you have to time them, i agree with you that spin kicks are very hard to hit but back kick can be very lethal when well placed.

Of course this is related to TKD fighting and not MMA no even full contact Kyo Kushin fighting.

i do agree sonar timing is every thing. hey sonar. i read a post of yours in another thread about a cycle you did to get shreded. i am looking to start another but i do not want my bjj to suffer. i would like to talk to you further on your results

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by sonar1234
    Counter back kick worked fine for me, in the clinch when the guy was coming pertty close i would punch them in the protective gear.

I am 5 feet 10 and i pertty much did the 45 angle side side when i fought taller guys.

The drop axe kick works pertty good too for a tall guy.
    What style of TKD did you practice, Olympic-style or traditional?

Striker93 WTF was my style for 7 years.

ez2plz_1 has i said i am no expert i did a simple 8 weeks masteron came in vials the winstrol was in a bottle and the deca in vials has well (FAKE) for sure.

Lets just say i add veins popping out of no where do to the masteron, its pertty toxic and if you tend to lose your hair (Like i do GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR), its gonna make it a bit worst.

I am no expert on this you might wanna ask the big boys on the AR they will help you out more then me.

Good luck

crag is offline New Member
    As someone said get some boxing lessons.Preferabbly with a trainer who trains pros, as he will teach you to go 'side to side' and 'step around' when crowded or charged. The othey guy has to stop and change direction to follow you, and you gain time.

The natural reaction for being crowded is to step back in a straight line.
    Its something a boxer should learn in his first year-there are two other directions to go than straight back if crowded, and how to punch while moving there.

Kickboxers and MMA are chronic for stepping straight back. They end up going back in a straight line all the way to the ropes half the time and gaining no space. So get a boxing coach once again, pref a pro trainer , as amatuer boxing is a bit slack on it too.

It takes a lot of practice and devotion but is a great skill if you nail it.

Karl.
    Last edited by crag; 08-20-2005 at 06:40 AM.

TTT crag.

sonar.. i will do that thanks

World Tae Kwon Do Federation WTF sounds a lot like you know what LOL....

There was alos a federation called ITF Interational TKD Federtion but there fights where point system and they add some katas. Not interested.

Div1Wrestler is offline Junior Member
    The Push kick

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I'll give the push kick a try. Also, for those that practice TKD, a push punch might work as well.

coalkick is offline New Member
    Get em' before he gets that close....front/round combo would work...low side step ridge hand....

take em down choke em out

Thread Information