Thread: KO Kick

Papi93 is offline AR VET

KO Kick

When throwing a right rear-leg roundhouse kick, do you aim for behind the ear? I've read that's most effective for a KO. Or do you aim just for the head?

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    If I'm going high with it its just for the head. I'd rather punch to the head and body and kick to the legs.

simm is offline Senior Member
    I aim for the side of the head,whether it hits the head or neck is all good..even hitting flush on the ear can cause unconciousness...shin is better for the neck and top of foot is good for on the ear/side of head....rather punch though.....lol..

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Its pertty hard to aim the ear or anything else, when i kicked head i just plain hit the head.

Look at CRO COP the kick lands where it lands and he never misses the KO

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    come up, and then down on the neck (slight downward angle). if you miss and hit temple or anywhere on jawline, it will do a lot of damage, but even fighters with really hard heads will go down from a neck shot. watch some MT matches, they're really slick with it.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by MMA
    come up, and then down on the neck (slight downward angle). if you miss and hit temple or anywhere on jawline, it will do a lot of damage, but even fighters with really hard heads will go down from a neck shot. watch some MT matches, they're really slick with it.
    Interesting post! MT=Muay Thai? The individual, from Black Belt Magazine, that recommended kicking behind the ear practiced Muay Thai.

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    the gym i trained at was run by by a guy from Sityodtong, and he would swear by the neck kick. maybe other camps trained it different, but thats what this guy taught. you would get kicked in the head fairly often, but the neck was the primary target if you had the flexibility. it's tougher, because you actually have to go higher than the head, and then come down, but it's harder to defend (if the hand is at all low, it will go right over). the shock to blood in the carotid artery goes straight to the brain, and it can easily drop you. a lot of guys have "iron chins", but nobody has an "iron carotid".

note i've seen guys dropped by roundhouse to chin, and gary goodrige was dropped by a beautiful upswing temple shot (both are good targets and will drop a fighter) but i was always taught that the neck shot was the best - harder to defend and harder to take.
    Last edited by MMA; 08-23-2005 at 10:01 PM.

crazydick is offline Junior Member

head kicking

I am an MMA instructor. In real world, alive fighting if you attempt to kick to a specific part of the head, I would guess that you are aiming too hard and will get knocked the **** out trying to hit a specific location on your opponent.

Things to consider:

Only kick to the head if you have superior timing to your opponent, or he is in a compimised position, or if he sucks and you feel like kicking some sense into him for being stupid enough to enter the cage with you!

Timing Timing Timing - your opponent is moving, and if he is worth a shit he will see your kick and atleast move somewhat making the idea of kicking him just right difficult.

Kicking to the head is a good way to get taken down so again timing timing timing.

I, like bouncer prefer to hit to the head and kick to the legs and body, but I will kick you in the head if you give me the shot. Kicking is an important element to master, kicks to the thigh in particuler hurt like hell and **** up the function of your opponents leg, which ****s up his timing. It also doubles the area he needs to defend. Alot of fighters fail to defend or dodge leg kicks, which sets them up for getting knocked out or taken down by slowing their movement.

Word of advice if you try to kick me in the head you will find yourself slammed on the matt, I'll either make you miss and shoot, or shoot into clench, nulifying your pretty looking high kick. Next I will begin to pound the shit out of your kidneys and face. If you stay awake long enough I will break your arm or choke you out. I am humble and respectful of all opponents, its just hard not to talk shit when you are so ****ing good, **** there I go again with my cocky bullshit, sorry for my ego Turrets, I am sure you are a great fighter and worthy opponent.

Thread Information