Papi93 is offline AR VET

Jump-In Jab Sidekick to the Head

When sparring I like to use my jump-in jab sidekick to the body. I have long legs so it really gives me a reach advantage over my opponent. Also, my body is turned sideways so they don't have many openings for striking. After jabbing them to the body with this kick; I would think I might be able to get to their head. My question is, does anyone think a jump-in jab sidekick to the head is effective? Bas Rutten said he doesn't know many people that are successful with side kicks to the head.
    Last edited by striker93; 08-24-2005 at 02:18 PM.

Zomboo is offline New Member
    It depends on your situation I think.

If you're point-fighting (punch/kick) or TKD; then yes, it's fine. Most tourneys you only have to get close enough to "score" a hit. So I don't think there is anything wrong with using it.
    but
    If you're Cage / Street / BJJ; then it's probably not very effective. As I'm sure you know, most cage/BJJ fights use low roundhouses and that's about it for kicks.
    To be honest, there's really no use going for the head with a kick unless you're extremely FAST... But you could always follow in a jab sidekick with a backfist or an elbow of some type. Heck, if you hit the low sidekick, maybe follow it up with a high sidekick... *SHRUG* Guess it all depends on your personal style.

** One trick you can try... right off the start, you throw the jump-in sidekick and follow it with the opposite leg back kick. Meaning : if you jump-in with the Right leg then as the right leg comes down, you pivot and throw the back kick with the left leg.
    It's also a quick way to drive your opponent right out of the ring. LOL!!

HEY! Might be a lead-in for your spin long wheel kick.
    Jump in side followed by an opposite wheel kick. HMMmmm.
    Try it. See if one of those works for ya!!!

(Are Sonar and I the only ones responding to these? LOL!!)
    Last edited by Zomboo; 08-24-2005 at 02:25 PM.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomboo
    It depends on your situation I think.

If you're point-fighting (punch/kick) or TKD; then yes, it's fine. Most tourneys you only have to get close enough to "score" a hit. So I don't think there is anything wrong with using it.
    but
    If you're Cage / Street / BJJ; then it's probably not very effective. As I'm sure you know, most cage/BJJ fights use low roundhouses and that's about it for kicks.
    To be honest, there's really no use going for the head with a kick unless you're extremely FAST... But you could always follow in a jab sidekick with a backfist or an elbow of some type. Heck, if you hit the low sidekick, maybe follow it up with a high sidekick... *SHRUG* Guess it all depends on your personal style.

** One trick you can try... right off the start, you throw the jump-in sidekick and follow it with the opposite leg back kick. Meaning : if you jump-in with the Right leg then as the right leg comes down, you pivot and throw the back kick with the left leg.
    It's also a quick way to drive your opponent right out of the ring. LOL!!

HEY! Might be a lead-in for your spin long wheel kick.
    Jump in side followed by an opposite wheel kick. HMMmmm.
    Try it. See if one of those works for ya!!!

(Are Sonar and I the only ones responding to these? LOL!!)
    Thanks for the advice! I wish more people would post questions that are related to the title of this forum. It seems that there are too many posts about pro-wrestling (I am a fan though), pro-boxing, etc. Members could learn more from the informative answers you guys provide. Just my two cents.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    If anyone needs a better visual, it looks like a superkick in pro-wrestling. Better yet, sweet chin music by Shawn Micheals.

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Sticker do you have an pics of the kicks you mention would be cool to see thoses kicks in action.

I never eard of the jab side kick??? sounds pertty cool tought

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by sonar1234
    Sticker do you have an pics of the kicks you mention would be cool to see thoses kicks in action.

I never eard of the jab side kick??? sounds pertty cool tought
    No, unfortunately, I don't have any pics. Just been learning them in class and sometimes I modify them to make them more effective. I know that you watch pro-wrestling on occasion, check out Shawn Micheals sweet chin music and that's the style I'm talking about. What I really wanted to practice was Muay Thai but there are no gyms where I live. The TKD studio is only a mile from where I live. I do have to give credit to TKD for making my more athletic. I think that'll be an advantage when I go to a Muay Thai gym.

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    TKD is flashy maybe too much, Muay Thai is down to earth and a lot more lethal then TKD, with thoses knees and elbows and leg kick.

TKD is simply not that good for street fighting, its really cool to do.

The only advantage that i could see would be the high kicks but even then, spinning back kicks, and all the flashy kicks are great in movies but on the street its another story.

Thread Information