Papi93 is offline AR VET

What Style of Left Hook?

My instructors keep getting me to try to change the style of my left hook. They want my left hook to start as a left jab and then snap it through. This way, they say, you keep everything tighter and more compact. Bas Rutten has you come with a left hook much further out. I prefer this style because it gives you much more power. How do you guys throw your left hook?

1819 is offline Senior Member
    short and compact as possible and getting back to the ready position as quick as you can. looping punches, in an attempt to get more power, leaves you vulnerable. being able to snap a quick short hook is what every fighter tries to perfect.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by 1819
    short and compact as possible and getting back to the ready position as quick as you can. looping punches, in an attempt to get more power, leaves you vulnerable. being able to snap a quick short hook is what every fighter tries to perfect.

What he said. Plus a long range looping hook often requires you to drop your hand to get extra leverage behind the hook leaving you open unless you have that chin tucked right down behind your shoulder.

Box This* is offline Associate Member
    I love my long wide left hook..it kinda dips around but slightly up...not a better felling when when that baby connects...woohooo

I am a southpaw so the power is there
    Last edited by Box This*; 08-24-2005 at 07:27 PM.

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    My instructors keep getting me to try to change the style of my left hook. They want my left hook to start as a left jab and then snap it through. This way, they say, you keep everything tighter and more compact. Bas Rutten has you come with a left hook much further out. I prefer this style because it gives you much more power. How do you guys throw your left hook?
    Maybe I'm not imagining your tecnique correctly. But if you were to start out as a jab, it would require a forward motion followed by an immidiate outward motion, and then and inward motion back in to a hook. It seems to me that the outward motion and the inward motion that would be required for this hook starting out as a jab would cancle out a lot of force. I mean by the time you are done moving what starts out as a jab outward to come in for the hook, you are already half way to the point of contact. This means you only have half the distance to get your force up for the hook instead of the whole distance covered by the punch. IMO you are not going to get knock down power from what seems to be an atempt at throwing a deceptive hook.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Box This*
    I love my long wide left hook..it kinda dips around but slightly up...not a better felling when when that baby connects...woohooo

I noticed, while watching boxers, they seem to have wider left hooks than traditional martial artists. Aren't boxers considered the best hand strikers? Why not follow their lead? I'm still with you bro!

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    So am I hearing you right, or am I not understanding you?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron
    So am I hearing you right, or am I not understanding you?
    I was just trying to explain that the punch first starts out like a straight line punch and then you snap the hook through your opponent. I'm sorry about the poor verbal description. Actually, I'm not sure if this one is any better? With either style I will still be loading the hips properly so that I can transfer power to the punch. It's not that I can't generate power with either one but it seems there is much more power with wider hook version.

1819 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Box This*

you're talking about a different punch though. if you are a lefty then you dont have a left hook, you're throwin a left cross so of course you would loop it a bit more. i am assuming your right hook is much more compact. i assumed when striker was asking about his left hook that he is an orthodox fighter so his left should be thrown properly, not looping. his right hand is where he can get away with the loop as long as its not hangin out there too long.

crag is offline New Member
    The cross originally was actually a different punch again. Where the other guys throws first, like a jab, and you come over it with a knockout punch, while slipping his shot at the same time. The arms cross one another in slow mo.
    And because he is coming forward, the power goes off the scale-it is the most powerful setup in boxing.

As to hooks, it comes down to individual body type how wide your hooks are. As long as the lead foot is turning with the hooking hand, and the back foot and hips are pivoting, that is what counts.

Some hook wide, some just turn the shoulder on the jab which sounds like what striker is trying to describe. If he is a long limbed upright fighting dude, this style would suit.

The best way to develope the natural hook is to practice the three shot combo. Left jab, straight right, hook.Then do it moving forward on every punch.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by crag

The best way to develope the natural hook is to practice the three shot combo. Left jab, straight right, hook.Then do it moving forward on every punch.
    I do what Bas Rutten recommends. Call out a combination and then hit the bag, shadow box, etc. For example, have someone call out 3 (jab, cross, left hook).

Box This* is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1819
    you're talking about a different punch though. if you are a lefty then you dont have a left hook, you're throwin a left cross so of course you would loop it a bit more. i am assuming your right hook is much more compact. i assumed when striker was asking about his left hook that he is an orthodox fighter so his left should be thrown properly, not looping. his right hand is where he can get away with the loop as long as its not hangin out there too long.
    True...its the only punch i can get away with being a southpaw against a good Jabber the left comes round so quick and instant power

Thread Information