Thread: coming back...

Streetprince is offline New Member

coming back...

well whats up every body this is my situation. I used to take tai kwon do (however you spell it) as a child. I quit. Then when i got about 15 i started taking tang soo do. I quit. it seems that lately i have been getting itno street scuffles with people who dont like me cause im from NY( i live in ga now). but any how ive been taking hits that i realy didnt have too because i had alredy learned some sort of technique to counter it. but i am rusty now at the age of 18. i wont tell you another reason ive been wanting to get back into martial arts/maybe kickboxing but, can any one reccomend a style of self- defense for me that is of more the "street type"?(hence the sn)

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    As far as DVD's go, Bas Rutten has a DVD out for streetfighting self-defense. It's the subject of a thread in this forum.

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    I doubt people don't like you simply because you are from New York, you should look at your attitude. What brings you to a steroid forum to talk about martial arts anyway? Anyhow tkd and tsd are almost the same, and they arent bad; though a lot of kicking. If all you like doing is fighting random people on the street you should just join a boxing gym and fight people there. It's cheaper than court, trust me.

i am just now realizing this is a forum for steroids .... but actualy they do try to fight me cause of that reason. I am the type of person that minds his business anywhere I go. The people down here hear you talk and then they ask where you are from after that they say you are lying and im like whatever. then they uslay say if your from NY you would know how to fight. there is a bad stereo type about new york in the south.they think its like on TV and in the movies.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Muay Thai. Get proficent in that and you'll be a mean motherfvcker. And stop thinking of "self defence", I hate that term. Think of it as going into the attack mode. How you can turn the tables on your aggressor., and go from 0 to 100mph in 0.5seconds. Thats what win's street fights.

I read somewhere, and tend to believe it having been a bouncer for over 15 years now, that most street fights are won and lost in the first 3 seconds.

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetprince
    i am just now realizing this is a forum for steroids .... but actualy they do try to fight me cause of that reason. I am the type of person that minds his business anywhere I go. The people down here hear you talk and then they ask where you are from after that they say you are lying and im like whatever. then they uslay say if your from NY you would know how to fight. there is a bad stereo type about new york in the south.they think its like on TV and in the movies.
    Bro, I dunno what to tell you other than it's not worth it. I used to feel compelled to fight if i didn't like what someone said to me or if they hinted at a challenge. Martial arts changed the way I reason about fighting, maybe thats what you need.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    When you have streetfights, what strikes do the Georgians use? Most of the population is untrained and likes to throw a baseball pitch punch. By the time their wide lopping punch comes to you; you could have several strikes in. A lot of the time, they are probably drunk and will not be very accurate with their punches. A trained boxer would destroy these untrained idiots. So if you're facing untrained bar room brawlers, I would say boxing.

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Has much has i add fun doing TKD for 7 years i would never recommend the art either it be for self defense or street fighting. There is only one punch in TKD and the rest are kicks, when you get close there is nothing you can do to defend yourself.

I also did some kyo kushin karate which is full contact, and of course Muay Thai is another great art for street fighting.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Muay Thai. Get proficent in that and you'll be a mean motherfvcker. And stop thinking of "self defence", I hate that term. Think of it as going into the attack mode. How you can turn the tables on your aggressor., and go from 0 to 100mph in 0.5seconds. Thats what win's street fights.

I read somewhere, and tend to believe it having been a bouncer for over 15 years now, that most street fights are won and lost in the first 3 seconds.
    yeah muay-thai... and learn how to choke people out, it just makes life easier

good luck on fighting a fight club!

crag is offline New Member
    QUOTE=BOUNCER]Muay Thai. Get proficent in that and you'll be a mean motherfvcker. And stop thinking of "self defence", I hate that term. Think of it as going into the attack mode. How you can turn the tables on your aggressor., and go from 0 to 100mph in 0.5seconds. Thats what win's street fights.

I read somewhere, and tend to believe it having been a bouncer for over 15 years now, that most street fights are won and lost in the first 3 seconds.[/QUOTE]

Also agree 100%.
    Streetprice with Muay thai, or another full contact sport you will do three things.

Learn to conquer fear.
    Learn to fight.
    Lose 90% of your interest in streetfighting as a result.

ok thanks il have to look some of these up. and its not that im so intrested in street fighting ,im looking for another hobby as well, even though i have way too many.skateboarding,inline,bmx,fixing up cars,music it goes on and on I ghuess ill just throw it in the mix!

Gorgoroth_ is offline Associate Member
    He's not lying. I remember back in highschool, there was this substitute teacher at my school.... most of the kids hated her because she had a real thick, sterotypical New yorker accent. One time, someone took a piss in her tea or orange juice... I honestly forgot what it was... she sipped it and freaked out... I didn't actually witness this, my friends did and it got all over school quick. She almost quit over it.. another time... this dude put a used condom on her desk ... she flipped... she wouldn't go back into the room until the school cop came into the room... the woman wasn't mean or anything, but down here some people think the Civil war is still going on or some shit.

well atleast somone understands me.and dude i like your av!

Thread Information