Papi93 is offline AR VET

Self-Defense Techniques for the Street

I just watched Bas Rutten's Lethal Streetfighting Self-Defense DVD. What techniques would you use if you encountered an unavoidable confrontation? Let's say you had to react immediately or a loved one's life would be in danger. I'm very curious as to how the various arts (wrestling, muay thai, jiu-jitsu, etc.) would react and how they would finish the situation. Let's assume its a one-on-one encounter (don't have to worry about his buddies jumping you from behind) with no weapons available. Looking for techniques to compare to Bas's.

yung-priest is offline Associate Member
    haven cn the movie but from experience if u no somethin is gonna happen dont talk jus get the 1st hit n then tackle him to the ground n choke him til he passes out or says he done-if he keeps goin then jus pin him wit ur knees n beat his ass

Therocksbiggestfan is offline Associate Member
    Id, say from my training in martial arts, hit first, right in the nose of your apponent, the stunning pain to his face will let you take complete control of the situation, after that Id say have fun, chop him down with some kicks, and then put him in a choke, untill his lights go out. also make sure before u hit him, u judge distance cut the space for him to work get close and bam!!!!

jmt
    jmt is offline Associate Member
    If he gets in your face, headbutt him. This happened to a buddy of mine not too long ago. He didn't have enough room for an effective punch, so he plowed him right in the nose. The guy fell to his knees, covered in blood.

That's the first time I've ever seen someone get catch a headbutt in person. It seemed to be pretty damn effective.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Put your hands up in a surrendering posture while walking towards your opponent. Sa yhrings like "I don't want to fight. Let's just talk this out." This will confuse or disarm him. Keep talking and walking towards him and once you are within striking distance, put everything you have with your strong hand into his jaw.

At this point either run away, or bash them until they are unable to fight back.

jmt
    jmt is offline Associate Member
    Some might consider that a cheap shot.

I, on the other hand, am just the type of guy to do something like that. Nice one.

LuckyDragon is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    I just watched Bas Rutten's Lethal Streetfighting Self-Defense DVD. What techniques would you use if you encountered an unavoidable confrontation? Let's say you had to react immediately or a loved one's life would be in danger. I'm very curious as to how the various arts (wrestling, muay thai, jiu-jitsu, etc.) would react and how they would finish the situation. Let's assume its a one-on-one encounter (don't have to worry about his buddies jumping you from behind) with no weapons available. Looking for techniques to compare to Bas's.

Number 1 you have to have enough confidence in yourself and your ability before you get involved in street fighting. Moves that have worked in the past have been the guillotine choke, also a left or right hook to the body will stun them for a couple seconds if you throw the first shot. What works for you maybe different.

simm is offline Senior Member
    Judge the distance 1st and then a quick snappy kick to the nuts should line him up for a smack on the chin!!! Just remember to watch his teeth from hittin your knuckles as there are so many diseases around nowadays.........

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    I never understood why people just dont train for the pleasure, i never got into any street fights, i compted a lot younger cause i wanted to be the best, never hold a grudge against anyone.

In a streetfight there is pushing, punching and most of the time you end up on your back lots of groud and pound and thats it.

You can have the best technic around and still get beaten up crazy in a street fight by someone that is on PCP and doesnt feel a thing.

gymnutt is offline Associate Member
    I like a double jab to the nose fter the second jab to the nose I grab the the neck with both forearms lock behind the head at an oblique clinche and start throwing knees to stomach up the middle, then skip knees to the temples then switch back to solar plexus and face. If he pulls his head back.head butt if he blocks your hips.. crucifix, guilitoine, or sprawl and elbow to the back of head. It's worked for me a few times. Of course if he's a tenth degree ninja turtle you'll be up shat creek. What about you stryker, any moves you've used?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by gymnutt
    I like a double jab to the nose fter the second jab to the nose I grab the the neck with both forearms lock behind the head at an oblique clinche and start throwing knees to stomach up the middle, then skip knees to the temples then switch back to solar plexus and face. If he pulls his head back.head butt if he blocks your hips.. crucifix, guilitoine, or sprawl and elbow to the back of head. It's worked for me a few times. Of course if he's a tenth degree ninja turtle you'll be up shat creek. What about you stryker, any moves you've used?
    When I have to fight, usually I take a step back to evaluate my opponent (if the situation allows this). I get a feel if they are an aggressive fighter or a defensive fighter. I try to never underestimate my opponent. You never know what their background is or how dirty they're willing to get (weapons, groin kicks, etc. ). If they're aggressive, I have a long reach so I like to use jab punches or jab kicks to keep them at arms or legs length. If my opponent doesn't have much power, I move in quickly with punches and roundhouse kicks to finish them off . I try to avoid clinching or grappling because you never know what their buddies are going to do. Most guys look for a fight when they have a lot of buddies with them. You rarely see somebody start something when their with only one friend. Where are their grapefruits then?

gymnutt is offline Associate Member
    Most guys look for a fight when they have a lot of buddies with them. You rarely see somebody start something when their with only one friend. Where are their grapefruits then?
    Sadly true..A pack mentality says a lot about those who choose to participate. Although I have known a few crazy bastards who would go solo looking for trouble. I used to know a bunch of meatheads from my gym who would send a little 5'2' wrestler to start up sht with a bunch while the rest of the group hid around the block and wait for the poo to hit the fan. With regards to clinching, yeah its worked great for me so far, but one of these days I might run into something pointy. I'm very careful of where I spend my evenings. Far too many crazies out there, I have to much to lose to put myself in that position. I just try to end sht fast and get away before cops or a crowd show up. Peace

Monkeytown is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmt
    Some might consider that a cheap shot.

I, on the other hand, am just the type of guy to do something like that. Nice one.
    I agree. As far as I'm concerned there are no cheap shots in a street fight. I think you need to apporach a street fight like a life or death situation and use any and all weapons you have, including strikes to the groin, eyes, throat, etc.

Box This* is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown
    I agree. As far as I'm concerned there are no cheap shots in a street fight. I think you need to apporach a street fight like a life or death situation and use any and all weapons you have, including strikes to the groin, eyes, throat, etc.
    No more street fighting...Because in the last 4 weeks ive had a nightmare with my hand..i hit someones teeth out and have had 2 operations and ive just been told i might have to go for another depending on a scan.

Trust me Guys im 29 and im sure alot of you are as old or older and have battered hands...TRY keep fighting on the street to a minimun if its one on one try a choke or kick or punch to the stomach if theres more pick up a weapon and take there ****ing heads off because its not worth it or just as simple walk away.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Box This*
    No more street fighting...Because in the last 4 weeks ive had a nightmare with my hand..i hit someones teeth out and have had 2 operations and ive just been told i might have to go for another depending on a scan.

Trust me Guys im 29 and im sure alot of you are as old or older and have battered hands...TRY keep fighting on the street to a minimun if its one on one try a choke or kick or punch to the stomach if theres more pick up a weapon and take there ****ing heads off because its not worth it or just as simple walk away.
    Could you give me some tips for not injuring my hands if I decide to go to the face. You, from what I have read on this site, are the expert when it comes to hand striking.

Box This* is offline Associate Member
    Could you give me some tips for not injuring my hands if I decide to go to the face. You, from what I have read on this site, are the expert when it comes to hand striking.

Expert ? Dont know about that ... but bones in the head and teeth unfortinatly are alot stronger then bones in your hand and the flesh on your hand.

Like alot of people said kick ' knee ' choke.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Box This*
    Expert ? Dont know about that ... but bones in the head and teeth unfortinatly are alot stronger then bones in your hand and the flesh on your hand.

Like alot of people said kick ' knee ' choke.
    With my long legs, I think I'll stick with kicks, for a reach advantage, and knees, from the clinch. Thanks for the input!
    Last edited by striker93; 09-09-2005 at 08:25 PM.

Unoid is offline Member
    I never worried, I have my CCW and I carry a 9mm with me at all times. I welcome the time I have to whip out my piece and watch some ****er run

I have basic fighting ability, although I doubt it would help muchon the street except for de****g with fight or flight (3rd degree ata tkd, by age 11).

But sadly guns will trumpt even the best ighters unless they're within striking range and you haven't even pulled your gun.

Born Threat is offline Associate Member
    I usually try to knock them out with the first punch, or stun them so bad they just give up because they don't wanna get hit that hard again.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    This same question was posed by John Moses Browning

wand77 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93

I like to punch a pale full of dirt, but you can use pretty much everything, start of with easy punches then as your knuckles start to get caleses you can hit it harder

and for a street fighting, stick with what u know and are good at, dont try something you seen in a video without atleast some practice. for me i like to strike first and if that doesnt go well i will take it to the ground. with even a little ground experience u can beat the majority of guys your size.

wand77 is offline New Member
    also hit with your pointer and middle finger knuckels, there the strongest. so much else i could say, but theres really nothing i can type thats gona make u fight better lol. goodluck

simm is offline Senior Member
    You can train all you like for pleasure or street cofrontations yet look at lee murrays situation..He is a great fighter in octagon/cage and in the street from wat i hear here in england..My honest opinion is try to avoid as much as possible yet if thrown in your face always be prepared by carrying sum kind of weapon..

Hunter is offline Grateful

My two cents

If its a one on one encounter their is a 90% chance(B. Rutten said this) that it will go to the ground. One person chances are is going to be superior standing so if it is one on one I would recommend(coming from a wrestling background) to take it to the ground and gain the superior position. It is not hard to move to side mount with an untrained fighter(most street fighters are) from here it is easy to drop elbows or knees and gain a full mount. He will give his back up and offer you a rear naked choke chances are from here once you gain back control your good. I say bring it to the ground becouse pulling guard in a street fight is not a good idea unless you have a guillotine choke sunk in becouse we all remember what happened to Joe Son's nuts when he pulled guard

Thread Information