JerzeyBoy is offline Member

Putting your weight in a punch

I have a serious problem putting my weight into a punch. I can't punch threw...so all the punches I throw are weak even though they shouldn't be. I've always had this problem...I don't know how to properly hit...

Is this something you just gotta have, or can this be taught?? Are they're any tricks to hit harder??

Thanks for your feedback

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    imo there are natural born punchers. you know, those guys who never took any fight training but still knock people the fack out. but that doesnt mean it cant be learned either. dont forget to put your hips into it, twisting motion. take boxing if your really serious.

ManOnSwole is offline Junior Member
    hips hips hips hips, power will come from proper body mechanics. IMO alot of people try to totally arm their punches, while it works for some people you can get alot more power out of using your entire body with the punch. The first thing my boxing coach ever taught me was footwork, from there it was punches. Proper ring/footwork will lead to even greater power and effectiveness in your punches.

here is a website with some decent info.
    http://www.boxing4free.com/basicpunches.html

1819 is offline Senior Member
    good advice by manonswole and godkilla, also make sure you are in range. you dont want to be reaching to hit someone. make sure you are in close enough to hit through your target.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    The pivoting of the hips is what really put power into my punches. Make sure the hips are "loaded" before you strike or you'll be arm punching (heavy bag). Next, you'll need to work on footwork or you'll feel slow and flat footed when going after a moving target (focus mitts). I would search out a qualified boxing instructor, if your finances allow it. They will be able to spot flaws in your technique, that an instructional video can't.

gymnutt is offline Associate Member
    All these guys are on target..body mechanics are key; hip movement coupled with body/foot rotation in sync with jab/hook/straight/uppercut/elbow. I feel like moving around with a partner with focus pads is very helpful. Lets me judge my distance and the crack of leather on leather gives you a good way to judge your power when on the move. I like to work a bannana bag for power, but moving around with focus or thai pads I feel lets you develop power without jamming up or overextending. Good luck.

gaza is offline New Member
    I guess we are talking right cross here .... the punch comes from the ground up, push through the legs, rotate through the hip, then the shulder and finally snap the arm out ensuring the arm rotates to end palm down.

Common faults and fixes -
    stance is too long so you dont punch through - ensure rear foot slides forward as hip rotates

no body weight going forward - over exagerate in practice by pushing your face so far forward you are trying to kiss the bag or mit holder.

Dave321 is offline AR's Salad Tossing Connoisseur
    These guys have it right... I find it mostly in the hips... only 10-20% of my punch comes from the upper body... the rotation is where power is generated.

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    i wouldnt suggest trying to move your foot while punching, pivoting on it to help the twisting of the hips helps though.

diezell is offline Senior Member
    get mad enough and im sure youll hit hard enough

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    ManOnSwole thanks for the link great website

simm is offline Senior Member
    look at the leg and hip power of tyson...leg and hip power interwined into twisting speed/power = fakin severe snappy punches! Remember that the snap of the punch is what causes the ko....Just work on it..repetition after repetition in that 1 area will make you better 2 sum degree..Body mechanics depending...obviously not every1 is built like tyson...lol

gaza is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godkilla
    i wouldnt suggest trying to move your foot while punching, pivoting on it to help the twisting of the hips helps though.
    As you throw the right cross the right foot will have to slide forward to allow the hips to rotate fully.

Remember it is a slide not a step, allow the right foot to drag forward as the hips pull it.

If not, the punch ends up short.

The objective is to punch through your target not up to it

ManOnSwole is offline Junior Member
    If you practice hitting a heavy bag with the a right cross or hook combo your punch should be felt through your entire body. If you only feel it in your shoulder/bicep area you're using too much arm.

beuleux is offline Banned
    bag work is certainly the solution...try not to think about the physics of body mechanics too much, punching when you are exhausted will force you CNS to find the most economical way to punch, try ten three min rounds with 30 secs rest, if youve nowhere to hang a bag then join a boxing club. In a couple of months youll be pounding em out like Tyson.

safe steroid uk is offline Junior Member
    hahaha that is true yes yeh thats some info that your going to punch like mike now keep up the good boxing info

for that guy email me at [email protected] i show you how il get back 2morow with some stuff

Box This* is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerzeyBoy
    I have a serious problem putting my weight into a punch. I can't punch threw...so all the punches I throw are weak even though they shouldn't be. I've always had this problem...I don't know how to properly hit...

Is this something you just gotta have, or can this be taught?? Are they're any tricks to hit harder??

Thanks for your feedback
    Plant your feet and twist through with your hips.

Natural power is somthing you cant learn...you iether have it or you dont !

Thread Information