Papi93 is offline AR VET

Set-Up for Spinning Wheel Kick

Does anyone have a good set-up for a spinning wheel kick? That is one of my better kicks and I need something to create an opening for it.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    With a right leg spinning wheel kick, you spin to the right (for about 360 degrees) and snap your foot through the opponents head. Contact is made with the outer part (blade of foot) of the right foot. Sorry if the description sucks, it's the best one I could think of.

Zomboo is offline New Member
    There is no real "GOOD" set-up for a Spin Long Wheel kick... especially since you have to turn your back to bring it around. Almost anyone will see it coming a mile away and just step back.

Personally, I use it more as a "defensive" move. Much like if someone is jamming you or likes to come straight in with punches... just as they come in, you spin to the side and catch them in the back of the head.

Not sure if it can really be set-up. I just dont see someone walking into it.

Maybe start something that will get them to advance on you, then throw it. Maybe something simple like a high / low Double Roundhouse, then as you bring your foot down, you turn and throw it. Who knows, it might catch someone off gaurd thinking that the roundhouse was all you were going to do
    Last edited by Zomboo; 08-24-2005 at 10:02 AM.

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Stiker 93 you practice tae kwon do right??? in your classes you should get plenty of set ups for that kick, feints and more that will set up the kick.

Kicking someone in the mid section couple of times then going for the head, that is always a perfect set up cause the opponent will think since you kicked twice in the mid section the third or fourth time you will do the same and bang good head kick.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I practice the Olympic-style of Tae Kwon Do. They have shown set-ups for numerous kicks but not one, as far as I can remember, for the spinning wheel kick. I threw it for the first time, in sparring last week, and I almost connected with shorter black belts head. If he was a little taller, I would have done some damage. His eyes were huge as the kick flew over his head. I have been practicing my aim this week in preparation. I do remember another instructor saying that you could use it in close range as Zomboo said.

Are you starting TKD or are you advanced, lots of the techics get interesting when you are green, blue belt.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by sonar1234
    Are you starting TKD or are you advanced, lots of the techics get interesting when you are green, blue belt.
    I just got my green belt with blue stripe. Our school wouldn't even let us spar until we earned a green belt. We cover the basic techniques for sparring: back leg roundhouse, spin kick, switch roundhouse. I've always been a good kicker and like to use more than just the basics.
    As a side note, I have a red belt in traditional TKD (includes weapons training). That was back in my elementary school years, though. We started sparring a white belt.

Yeah i started sparring at yellow belt.

You will learn a lot by sparring a lot too, we usually sparred each class at the end of the class for 20 minutes plus saturday for 3 hours, the class was a sparring class.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    In class, today, we covered a combination. Two-step in roundhouse/spinning wheel kick.

TestTubeBaby is offline Associate Member
    ur best bet is to stay away from any kick/strike that involves turning ur back to ur opponent(like they said) thats a damn good way for u to get ur ass kicked.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I just sparred against a defensive fighter (likes to wait quite some time and then will strike, briefly) yesterday. I tried as hard as hell to hit him with my spinning wheel kick but he kept so far away from me, I didn't have much success. From my experiences, it looks like it will be more successful against a fighter who likes to bang.

gaza is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    I just sparred against a defensive fighter (likes to wait quite some time and then will strike, briefly) yesterday. I tried as hard as hell to hit him with my spinning wheel kick but he kept so far away from me, I didn't have much success. From my experiences, it looks like it will be more successful against a fighter who likes to bang.
    been doing TKD for 25 years.......

Simple rule, never use a spinning kick as your first kick, it is too slow and a good fighter will hit you before you are half way round.

You need to get your oponent on to their back foot, moving away.

Set them up with a jab, but as you can kick use your front leg as the jab. A couple of front kicks or turning kicks off lead leg moving forward, and then let the kick go.

As for the kick, get your head round before you lift the leg. The leg will actually travell less than 90 degrees in the air.

beuleux is offline Banned
    Absolutely agree gaza, I find it best to get any spinning kick in after a solid strike with a more conventional kick, front stop kick being my favourite, as youre working off the front leg the distance is correct for a spinning kick, off the back leg and youd be too close.

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    i only ever seen the spinning wheel kick connect once...and it was on some kid who didnt know shiat about fighting. totally cleaned his clock but, personally i wouldnt dare leave the ground against a good fighter.

gaza is offline New Member
    I have used it a few times. Stopped a Kicking Boxing Champion dead in his tracks with a lovely spin kick to the head.

I will say dont bother in full contact or MMA but in the continuous mat fighting it can work.

Another way to use it is as a counter kick ........

face opponent both left leg in front, he is going to kick round house off front (Left) leg. Anticipate the move and spin into your kick as his leg starts to lift and bang - got him.

He is unable to back off cos he is stood on one leg, which also means he falls over easier.

This move can be used with any spin kick

gaza congrat man 25 years of practice that is quit amazing.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by gaza
    I have used it a few times. Stopped a Kicking Boxing Champion dead in his tracks with a lovely spin kick to the head.

I will say dont bother in full contact or MMA but in the continuous mat fighting it can work.

Another way to use it is as a counter kick ........

face opponent both left leg in front, he is going to kick round house off front (Left) leg. Anticipate the move and spin into your kick as his leg starts to lift and bang - got him.

He is unable to back off cos he is stood on one leg, which also means he falls over easier.

This move can be used with any spin kick
    Thanks for the advice; I've been waiting for a good set-up for some time now. I'll give a shot, during sparring.

I have been out for 10 years did practice TKD for a long long time LOL.

I really cant wait to get back in action.

Thread Information