sonar1234 is offline Banned

Unhappy What fighting sport is the worst for injuries

Following the sad news about Leavander Johnson that died at 35 years old, i was wondring which sport is the worst to end up injured and even cause death.

Seems to me that there has been no deaths in MMA has of yet, i am talking about major shows not indies. But in boxing that seems to be quit common that a boxer experiments some type of brain damage after a long career.

But then again a guy being on the ground and hit to the head with knees by a Heath Herring must have consecences too does it not????

Or getting ground and pounded on a regular base?

I know it comes with the game many will say but still.

ManOnSwole is offline Junior Member
    I vote Rugby....anybody that says it's not a fighting sport gets a knee to the face. .

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    marriage

simm is offline Senior Member
    I do have 2 disagree....Rugby has caused only a few people gettin serious paralysis in england...Not any deaths if i am correct/i maybe wrong!!! Boxing has had more than it's fair share of injuries and deaths in the past/and modern times.....Anybody know what that game like rugby is called in only 1 town of italy? It is a mixture of bare knuckle fighting and rugby!!

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by simm
    It is a mixture of bare knuckle fighting and rugby!!

Sounds like closing time in an Irish pub!.

BigRandy is offline Associate Member
    id say the worst fighting sport for death/serious injuries is boxing. second imo would be muay thai

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Sounds like closing time in an Irish pub!.
    LOL.........

In my experience of boxing, kickboxing and Judo I'd have to say that I've had more injuries through Judo training than anything else.

As a heavy weight I hardly get through a couple of weeks without either a new injury occuring or an old one raring its ugly head again.

colossus1 is offline Member
    Boxing...due to the total number of punches to the head. MMA....its 1/4 the number of hits of a entire boxing match.

Box This* is offline Associate Member
    I do have 2 disagree....Rugby has caused only a few people gettin serious paralysis in england...Not any deaths if i am correct/i maybe wrong!!! Boxing has had more than it's fair share of injuries and deaths in the past/and modern times.....Anybody know what that game like rugby is called in only 1 town of italy? It is a mixture of bare knuckle fighting and rugby!!
    There is a game that used to go on in scotland between too towns where they would have a medicine ball...and the too towns would have a goal each and the first town to cross the line would win...they say the game would go on for days somtimes weeks

Quote Originally Posted by colossus1
    Boxing...due to the total number of punches to the head. MMA....its 1/4 the number of hits of a entire boxing match.
    When hitting someone with bareknuckle its a crack wich will concuss somone straight away then they come around and all is ok.

With boxing you got to remember and most who do box will agree its is hard to knock somone out...but by hitting someone a great number of times gives you continuous concusion wich is worse because your brain is trying to do one thing and your body is doing another wich makes the staggering affect...anyone who does boxing and has also had some street fights will know what i mean.

So if its a long term injusry then ide think a boxer would be about the sport tking in account of hand injurys...eye injurys...any facial injurys...rib injurys.

If it was all sports ide say extreme sports like bmxing...skate boarding..motorcross and so on

simm is offline Senior Member
    That sounds like the same game they play in Italy...Thanks Box This

Cuttup is offline Senior Member
    Boxing is #1 as far as mental and brain damage,..Football #2 as far as physical damage,.though several football players after retireing suffer from slight brain damage as boxers do from head blows

Guys forget football etc, the title of the thread says ''Fighting''!.

In that case we could make the case that more fishermen are killed then any other sportsmen, by drowning!.

Gmill13 is offline Associate Member
    I hyper extend my leg alot during randori. (in Judo)

Kickboxing gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by AnatomicallyBlessed
    Kickboxing gets my vote.

Really?. Worse injury I've had kickboxing was a torn hamstring. Otherwise its been pretty much plain sailing. I often try to get the guys from my kickboxing club to come to Judo to toughen them up alittle. I'm really surprised someone would say kickboxing, do you practice anyother style?.

No, I don't practice kickboxing, but I have done some boxing.

My vote is based on observation alone. ei. K1, UFC

That sounds like the same game they play in Italy...Thanks Box This
    Could be italy m8...just had in my mind scotland.

Done a search but nothing come up...would be good to get the name of it.

Travis0810 is offline New Member
    Boxing for sure Bro. MMA fighting with either wrapped or bare fist causes more bone fractures, black eyes, broken noses that type of thing, but the brain dosn't get nearly as rattled as by a boxing glove. The fist is smaller and harder so it actually may hurt more but isn't causing the brain trama that a glove is. Brain damage and concussions are caused by the brain pushing through it's protective membrain and striking the inside of the skull, this is much easier to do with a boxing glove than a fist just because of the weight difference. Boxing=Less pain,more brain damage. MMA=more physical pain, less brain damage.

Good to see alot of you guys agree with Ken Shamrocks opinion of light 4oz MMA gloves over their heavier boxing glove, in so far as in MMA fights are more likely to be stopped through superficial cuts and bruises thereby avoid the brain damage that the heavier boxing glove can cause.

i would love to see boxing gloves go down a couple of ozs maybe there would be alot less punch drink boxers out there..to tell the tails of there yrs of boxing

Thread Information