ManOnSwole is offline Junior Member

Martial Arts vs Martial Sport.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this topic. There is that constant everlong debate on Martial Art Vs Martial Sport. I consider wrestling a martial art and a martial sport, many people wouldn't even put wrestling in either class. What are your thoughts on this topic?

juiced101 is offline New Member
    Having a knowledge of wrestling is a great help in full contact fighting. I train in MMA, also I would have to say it's how one can transition there wrestling knowledge into ground fighting. It has been from my experience that most wrestlers tend to give up there back frequently which is a very bad thing to do. Back to fully answer your question I wouldn't consider it a martial art.

What exactly constitutes a "martial art"? That is the bigger question? Wrestling has developed in almost every culture around the world from Asia to Europe. Take chinese Shuai Chiao for example, a form of wrestling that predated most of china's systems of kung-fu. Only bad wrestlers give their backs

juiced101 is offline New Member
    Yea, I understand what you're trying to get @. Tough question, do you do any training? If so what do you train in? Always nice to have someone to talk to that understands the art of fighting... Thanks bro

I do train, currently I do 3 nights a week of boxing, and 3 of Muay Thai/Brazilian jiu jitsu. Before I started wrestling in high school I did 8 years of karate, but I really don't count that anymore. It gave me alot of discipline and focus for an energetic brat.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOnSwole
    Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this topic. There is that constant everlong debate on Martial Art Vs Martial Sport. I consider wrestling a martial art and a martial sport, many people wouldn't even put wrestling in either class. What are your thoughts on this topic?
    I consider the art is what we practice through our various styles in the gym or Dojo and the sport is putting that practice into action. And yes, I consider wrestling and even boxing as both martial arts and a sport.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    I consider the art is what we practice through our various styles in the gym or Dojo and the sport is putting that practice into action. And yes, I consider wrestling and even boxing as both martial arts and a sport.
    consider that second'd

beuleux is offline Banned
    Interesting thread, I have the utmost respect for all forms of combat sports, arts and thier exponents, Its quite possible we can consider all of them martial arts. The dictionary definition of the word "martial" as an adjective is "Of or relating to, or characteristics of war, soldiers or the military life". So then any sport or combat style that involves fighting of any kind can be considered a martial art. However, the same dictionary defintion of the phrase "martial arts" is "Any of variuos philosiphies of self defense and techniques of single combat, such as judo or karate originating in the far east". So then boxing couldnt be cosidered a martial art because it originated in England, although considerd by many as the science of punching and being adopted by many eastern arts, JKD for example, by virtue of geography it escapes the literal definition.

Your thoughts please.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    art is in the dojo
    sport is in the ring competing the art

well said, and nice avatar.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Here's an interesting articule I found on www.judoinfo.com

ART -V- SPORT (click here)

Thread Information