Raven8264 is offline Junior Member

Just watched K-1 Fighting, won't watch again

I saw K-1 on INHD (High-Def) and thought I'd give it a try since I'm a huge UFC fan (or was until recently). A couple good fights and then something happened.

Apparently they go with the old UFC style tournament rules where you win a match, and then continue on to fight again until there's a winner. The rules seemed easy to pick up..all stand-up, no grappling, use hands and kicks.

Well one of the fighters grabbed a guy from behind the neck, locked his hands, and yanked his head down as he jumped up with a knee right to the guy's nose, breaking it. Blood everywhere and they had to stop the fight immediately.

The announcers made it clear that it was a blatant illegal move (you cannot grapple like that in K-1) and they were wondering what would happen since it looked like the guy who's nose was broken wouldn't be able to continue. They speculated that he would win by disqualification, but what would happen since it's tourney style and a fighter usually advances?

After about 5 minutes the judges made their decision. They called it an unintentional foul. In the case of an unintentional foul, if the hurt fighter cannot continue, they invoke the "Survivor" rule. That rule states that whichever of the two fighters that can continue in the tourney, does. So basically the guy who broke the guys nose in a very intentional and illegal move gets to advance.

I wanted to throw my remote at the TV at this point I was fuming so bad. These guys go through hell to get where they are, and to have such a screwed up set of rules AWARD the guy who used an illegal move to take out his opponent, to be able to continue is beyond F'd up. And let me say through countless replays, it was very obvious it was an intentional move. The injured fighter's corner was furious. BTW he wanted to continue and stated so repeatedly, but the doctor wouldn't allow it. Needless to say, I immediately turned the channel and will never watch another K-1 match until they get their sh** turned around.
    Last edited by Raven8264; 10-12-2005 at 12:44 AM.

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    that sucks, i dont watch much k-1, they do have some decent fighters though

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    K-1 is kickboxing and not MMA????? you have the K-1 MMA version that has some very good fights.

I bought the only dvd i could find from k-1 the 2002 finals and it was quit good, you add Ernesto Hoost who fought Bob Sapp, Peter Aerts, Mark Hunt, Jerome Lebanner.

All thoses are great fighters.

Last couple of K1 events where very good kickboxing events, they have the right to give some kicks to the leg, no elbows, i think that knee strikes are permitted has long has you dont grab the opponant.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    you train to win, - fouling happens ALL THE TIME

Anytime someone wants to lock up in a clinch personally, I ALWAYS go for a headbutt (and then the infamous headgrind), why? because it looks un-intentional

fighting is fighting

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Yes but you need to keep in mind that this is kickboxing, and k1 has some big money for the winner of the fight, if you get disqualified then you lose the $$$$.

K1 has strict rules, and fighters will not get away with tricks like that.

nalbano34 is offline Member
    saw a fight in the same fashion and the alternate won....only had to fight once!!!! what about the tired bastard that was there the whole time and LOST....very gay!

ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~
    Bummer, I really enjoy watching the K1 events...

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by GQ-Bouncer
    you train to win, - fouling happens ALL THE TIME

Anytime someone wants to lock up in a clinch personally, I ALWAYS go for a headbutt (and then the infamous headgrind), why? because it looks un-intentional

fighting is fighting
    i know what you're talking about, but holding and hitting from the thai clinch (hands wrapped around back of opponents head) is almost a whole SYSTEM of fighting in thai, a huge part of the game that is blatantly illegal in k1. it would be like using an RNC in a collegiate wrestling match.

Thread Information