Thread: Back Bridging

Papi93 is offline AR VET

Back Bridging

Does anyone perform the back bridge by Matt Furey. I was able to do it back in 2004 but took it out of my program when I focused on strength training with free weights. I still stretched on a consistent basis but when I came back to the bridge this week - . I couldn't even get my nose to touch the floor without standing on the tips of my toes. It took me a while to be able to bridge the first time, so I just have to have patience. Anyone else have a similar experience?

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    I add started to do the bridging by matt furey, the hindu push ups and the hindu squats. You know that i am cought with back pain.

I was able to do 25 hindu push ups, 100 hindu squats and hold the bridge for about 1 minute after a week of practice, did not touch my nose but my forhead.

I came to a sudden stop when i ordered a dvd for my back pain that seems to be working fine for now.

I add to stop bootcamp and even tae bo, pertty much anything that will work in anyway my quads muscle, chest muscle and front deltoid.

I found out that my pain is caused by muscle imbalance which means that the tight muscles are pulling on the weak muscles thoses being my hamstrings, lower abs and upper back.

I have various streches to perform each day some up to 5 times a day for my quads, chest and front deltoid.

Plus i am back in the gym training with close grip pulley rows, hammer seated rows, leg curls and seated leg curls, reverse peck deck for rear deltoids with of course the classic bent lateral raise.

At night i use the elastic bands to simulate close grip rows but i attach the bands to a door, and i perform another exercice that works the rear deltoid.

I have to say that i am a strong beleiver of theses 3 exercices, and remember doing lots of bodyweight squats and push ups when i was doing kyo kushin karate.

The bridging is also a great exercice and even bas rutten has it in is training dvd and cds.

simm is offline Senior Member
    I can bury my nose into mat 4 3mins whilst in back bridge.Always fold arms across chest too,better for balance!!! Could only hold for 1min when i started out..Stick with it as i think it strengthens the spine too..I always feel dizzy and bunged up for days afterwards tho like there is a marble behind my right eye/pushing eye out...lol

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by simm
    I can bury my nose into mat 4 3mins whilst in back bridge.Always fold arms across chest too,better for balance!!! Could only hold for 1min when i started out..Stick with it as i think it strengthens the spine too..I always feel dizzy and bunged up for days afterwards tho like there is a marble behind my right eye/pushing eye out...lol
    That's awesome, bro! I remember holding for a little over a minute and thinking my neck would snap if I took it longer. My neck is strong as a bull but my flexibility sucks. That's why it puts the stress on my neck. I am performing hindu pushups and wall walking, in an effort to help with flexibility issues.
    Are you flexible in the core or do you just have a strong neck?

I am prety flexible in the bridging exercises and i suppose moderately strong too....Head harness weights are a good idea...Variety is the best tool...I have done 1100 bodyweight squats in 1 set.... 100 cat stretches in 1 set too,yet i am not so strong on free weights....lol

ManOnSwole is offline Junior Member
    Just stay with it and you'll be amazed at how fast your neck can develop. In high school my coach was furious at us for an incident that happened, made us do bridges on a basketball court for 15 minutes. You can do it!

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    can someone explain the back bridge or post a pic of it?
    signed; pencil neck

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    thanks sonar

To be quit honest all 3 exercices on that website are really good to do.

http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch22.html

Wink Thats impressive

I am prety flexible in the bridging exercises and i suppose moderately strong too....Head harness weights are a good idea...Variety is the best tool...I have done 1100 bodyweight squats in 1 set.... 100 cat stretches in 1 set too,yet i am not so strong on free weights....lol
    Man i add a hard time doing 100, that is quit impressive Simm

Believe me,i had 2 bust my balls 2 finish them..It is so easy 2 give up..Never set a specific number of reps,just go for it and count as doing them.Good luck

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    At the end of week one, I can rock back and touch my nose, with my heels raised. I have a lot more muscle in my back, from a cycle, this time around. I think it will be harder to get into a full bridge this time. Well, tommorow starts my 2nd week. Damn, I wish I had more patience .

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I have finally gotten into a full back bridge ! I only held it for 10 seconds but that will improve soon. I have held it for a full minute in the past and this is what I want to achieve again. I still need to get more flexibility in my trunk. The wall walking exercise seems to be helping. I'm trying the wall walk/gymnastic bridge exercise to increase ROM further.

Try rocking back and forth from crown of head 2 nose burying in2 mat 4 1 min....Bet you can hold bridge 4 nearly 2 mins then..After 1 week..You must gradually roll further back 2 your forehead each time tho..Best of luck!!!

BOBBY D is offline Member
    i wrestled for 6 years (4yrs highschool varsity) & bridging was like night & day for me back then. i recently started doing them after my workouts for a few minutes & its amazing how much my head hurts when i do them. a few years back i could be able to bridge for a good 15mins without thought. i will gradually start to do them again & it reallly develops ur neck & gets it strong.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Try rocking back and forth from crown of head 2 nose burying in2 mat 4 1 min....Bet you can hold bridge 4 nearly 2 mins then..After 1 week..You must gradually roll further back 2 your forehead each time tho..Best of luck!!!
    Thanks for the tip, Simm ! I will experiment with your technique and post how it went at a later date.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Do you keep your feet planted, like on the bridge or do you go up onto the balls of the feet?

I always have feet planted flat on floor for better balance...Going up onto toes makes my neck feel more vunerable at breaking from side 2 side..If you catch my drift..lol

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I always have feet planted flat on floor for better balance...Going up onto toes makes my neck feel more vunerable at breaking from side 2 side..If you catch my drift..lol
    I tried your exercise on Friday but did it from my toes. I thought I would be able to get better ROM. Then I rethought it and figured that it didn't mimic bridging as closely as if I had done it with my feet flat. On Monday, I give it a shot. Yeah, I know what you're talking about when you say breaking. By the way, I call the exercise "The Simm" .

That's great thanx..lol..and good luck on trying it on monday...Work through the lactic acid part..'Determination' is a key word in these exercises...Take care and ask questions whenever you need too!!!

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    My time on the back bridge is slowly going up. I'm taking it slow with this exercise. Hey Simm, have you ever tried Walking Walking (a Matt Furey exercise). It is a difficult exercise to master, at first time, but when mastered is an excellent exercise in flexibility? I got bored with it so I incorporated "The Simm" as a replacement. They appear to offer similar flexibility benefits. Yours being more specific, of course.

lol...thanx alot...The only other exercise of matt fureys i use is wall walking ''i think that is the exercise you wrote''correct me if i'm wrong!! Very strenuous exercise indeed..good for suplexing and ab strength..

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    lol...thanx alot...The only other exercise of matt fureys i use is wall walking ''i think that is the exercise you wrote''correct me if i'm wrong!! Very strenuous exercise indeed..good for suplexing and ab strength..
    Yeah, that's the one. Kick ass exercise.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I've built up to about 30s in the Back Bridge. Yeah, I know, it has taken forever. When I stood up my head started to feel stuffy, for some reason. Anyone know why this is?

I have the exact same problem after bridging..Do not know why this is..Anybody else have an answer to this?? Thanx

Also papi the difference b'tween your first 10seconds and the recent 30seconds in bridge is excellent..It all takes time!! Well done

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Also papi the difference b'tween your first 10seconds and the recent 30seconds in bridge is excellent..It all takes time!! Well done
    Thanks. With this exercise, I wanted to take baby steps. Bump for the head stuffiness.

Thread Information