Thread: Knees vs Elbows

Hunter is offline Grateful

Knees vs Elbows

We all know with Muay Thia the use of elbows is taught and promoted. We also know elbows can be devasting standing up(the crow vs Riveria) as well on the ground or against the cage(Couture vs Belfort 3). We also know that they can end a fight due to a cut when we would like to see it continue and the person cut maybe winning. The cut in these cases seem to end the fight prematurally (Kenflo vs Leben). Now knees seem knock people out more when used standing and do not cut as much when used on the ground even if thrown to the head. Now I will get to my point the UFC allows elbows while Pride doesn't but Pride allows knees on the ground while the UFC doesn't. I am wondering your guys opinion on this, would you rather see knees allowed in the UFC on the ground and to see Elbows allowed in pride. I was thinking pride should allow elbows while standing since it seems the majority of cuts ending fights prematurally are on the ground. I think the UFC should if allowed by the athelitic commision should allow sidemount knees to the body. What do you guys think I would just like to hear some other opinions on the Knee's vs Elbows

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    i dont like elbows at all for the reasons you gave which is it cuts and thats all it does. It doesnt knock people out it doesnt even seriously hurt people. Knees on the other hand are great. I like the 4 point rule and it should be adopted by the UFC.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    x2..

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I'd prefer if they took elbows out too. Moves us further and further away from MMA being seen as a sport, and more a bloodied freak show.

I agree as a whole Elbows should be taken out. I hate seeing a cut end a fight prematurally. I think to a point it depends on the nature of the person throughing the Elbow also, I do not believe Kenney Florian throws his elbows with the same intent that the Crow throws his, I do agree they should be taken out or even modified to only used standing in the UFC or better yet as stated earlier the UFC should adopt the 4 point rule but I doubt the athelitic commision would allow that.

dingobite is offline Associate Member
    Cuts blow ufc doesnt really train to use elbows like over seas fights way to little control over what they do.

Id still watch a fight if elbows werent allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by dingobite
    Cuts blow ufc doesnt really train to use elbows like over seas fights way to little control over what they do.

what???

davinci191 is offline Junior Member
    I would like to see knees in UFC! because when a fighter gets in northsouth hes to limited, and its not fair! He won the sprawl, He should be able to take advantage of it. elbows dont play a major factor for fighters like headbuts did back in the day. when they took those out it messed up a bunch of fighters game. so adding knees will do some good for the sport, and make ground defense better.

david louseu's (sp) play a huge factor in the game cuz that's all he does is throw elbows and cuts people.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    i dont like elbows at all for the reasons you gave which is it cuts and thats all it does. It doesnt knock people out it doesnt even seriously hurt people. Knees on the other hand are great. I like the 4 point rule and it should be adopted by the UFC.

I agree..UFC fighters go in the with shitty attitude of "I wanna cut him so i can win"....

It is legal so i guess you cannot blame them but i still think it is shitty.

Pride is where its at anyway....UFC is a watered down version of Pride IMO.

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Well didnt George St-Pierre break Sherk nose with an elbow smash??????

Matt Hugues is another one that has deadly elbow blows.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by dingobite

The crow does not throw elbows to win on a cut. Look at Tanners face it was not a cut those elbows did more the cosmetic damage. Still I think they should be taken out

Thats all the crow does is throw elbows in his fights and his fight with tanner was stopped because of the cuts he gave in tanners face. There is no such thing as cosmetic damage when there is a gash on someones head.

Tanner had a fractured orbital bone from those elbows. He said that on interview on sherdog(written not video) so it was more then just cuts. I love the crow but I still think Elbows his biggest weapon should be taken out

ahh i didnt know about the fractured orbital bone..........take em out anyway

dingobite is offline Associate Member
    I guess i should have said that better.

Most the guys train elbows like any other boxing move it not like they all have been training with them martial art wise where you have alot more control over them. Elbow is a elbow i guess though.

Elbow Cuts blow during fights. << reason i havent respected a few ufc fighters that ground and pound blindly forearms and uppercuts. Nasty.

Red Monster is offline Associate Member
    I love elbow striking...

and knee striking.

Allow em both!

realmxofxnoise is offline Junior Member
    Like everyone else is saying, elbows cut way too easy. It's different in a Muay Thai fight because it's a striking fight, not a ground fight. In a ground fight, defending against elbows isn't as easy as defending again foot stomps and knees.

Take elbows out, leave kicks and knees on the ground in !

Thread Information