Hunter is offline Grateful

MMA's underachievers

First of all this is not a bashing thread on fighters. Simply thoughts on fighters who have not lived up to their potential. I dont want people to say so and so sucks but why you think they never lived up to their potential

Kevin Randleman-He has strength,explosiveness and great wrestling. Never lived up to what I thought he would do. I think he still could make a comeback if he transferred out of hammerhouse to a different camp. I was think team quest which would work his wrestling and sub defense.

Vitor Belfort. He has the weapons but it seems mediocore training camps, the disappearance of his sister and supposed use of steriods (his strength coach died in 2000 from complications of steriod use) have taken their toll on him. He is young 27 I believe and still could make a comeback.

Mark Kerr-As Rutten said in the smashing machine "the first wrestler that wants to learn it all". He had tools but drug use and I may get flammed but steriod use took their toll on his body. Not to mention his co-dependent girlfriend.His comeback was less then impressive in his 27 sec knock out. I wish more then anything he could have beaten the demons that ended his MMA career prematurally.
    I really would like to hear your guy's opinions on MMA underachievers and if any of them could turn their careers around.

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    Kevin Randleman is king of the list...Truly a remarkable athlete and THE MOST explosive athlete i ever saw. Just cant learn sub defense for shit. Robbie Lawler seems to be another one on the list. Mark Kerr just shit it up himself so I really dont have sympathy for him even tho he is a nice guy. Belfort needs to get his head together. If the fight doesnt go his way it seems that he becomes disillusioned. He's been training with BTT and he still came back and lost against tito.

Tell me more about the boxing coach that died of complications from steroids .

This will be a controversial one but I will Say Igor Vovchanchyn...amazing striker with the heaviest hands the game....whipped Kerr's ass, amazingly strong, has some decent sub defense, but seems to be on the decline of late even tho he is 33. He's getting schooled by light heavy weights when he shouldnt be.

I heard about it on sherdog awhile ago 2 years ago maybe. His liver just shut down. I agree abot Igor should have stayed at heavyweight. I agree I dont have sympathy for Kerr at all. I was thinking Travis Fulton to, I fight for his organization. I can't stand the guy very racist. He has talent but never took training seriously enough and would rather waste his time fighting D level fighters in small shows. Also thanks for not bashing anyone I didn't want that at all. I love Belfort and will always root for him. I dont think we will ever see him back to the Vitor of old. I mean when he took that huge shot from Chuck and it just put him on his ass. Sooo much talent with him, I would love to see him return to the top.

Ricco belongs on this list to

he was an achiever but then he just got fat.

davinci191 is offline Junior Member
    Kevin Randleman! I love the guy. He has amazing strength, if he could just seal the deal on the ground he would be the man!

davinci191 is offline Junior Member
    Igor Vovchanchyn has the tools to be a champ IMO! but its just heart breaking to see him get caught in that guillotine with overeem. should not have happened. and I think him dropping weight was a good move much faster! with that punching power, equals a knock out!

Quote Originally Posted by davinci191
    Igor Vovchanchyn has the tools to be a champ IMO! but its just heart breaking to see him get caught in that guillotine with overeem. should not have happened. and I think him dropping weight was a good move much faster! with that punching power, equals a knock out!
    It would seem that way but he had much better success at heavyweight. Some guys just dont excell when they do drop down. I will always love the guy.

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Randelman like most wrestlers have no finish when they are on the ground, its just basic control and some ground and pound, pertty much like Coleman, man where is submission weard, but he could takedown anyone.

With all theses years they have been around Randleman, Coleman and Kerr the Hammer house team should have learned a lot more submission.

Coleman add learned some great stand up and i was very impressed by him at the Pride 2000 GP man he could boxe.

Randleman should get into serious training learn new stuff then make a comeback, some muay thai and submissions, a comeback like this would be amazing from is part.

Quote Originally Posted by sonar1234
    Randelman like most wrestlers have no finish when they are on the ground, its just basic control and some ground and pound, pertty much like Coleman, man where is submission weard, but he could takedown anyone.

With all theses years they have been around Randleman, Coleman and Kerr the Hammer house team should have learned a lot more submission.

Coleman add learned some great stand up and i was very impressed by him at the Pride 2000 GP man he could boxe.

Randleman should get into serious training learn new stuff then make a comeback, some muay thai and submissions, a comeback like this would be amazing from is part.
    Rutten said on the sherdog forum that he believed if Radleman trained with him he could be a top three fighter. So much talent but thats what happens when you train two weeks before fights

After reading the Hughes vs Liddell match. Dennis Hallman so much skill but poor cardio. He looked awful in his last fight against Riveria. dangerous for the first 3 min then he fades
    Last edited by Hunter; 12-29-2005 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    Kevin Randleman is king of the list...Truly a remarkable athlete and THE MOST explosive athlete i ever saw. Just cant learn sub defense for shit. Robbie Lawler seems to be another one on the list. Mark Kerr just shit it up himself so I really dont have sympathy for him even tho he is a nice guy. Belfort needs to get his head together. If the fight doesnt go his way it seems that he becomes disillusioned. He's been training with BTT and he still came back and lost against tito.
    I have agrred with a lot if the things you have said.

I just wanted to say that kevin Randleman may not be as talented for MMA as you would think. Yes, I agree that he is the best all around athlete in the game.

But, that is not what it takes. You have to have other qualities than being able to run fast or jump high. Look at all of the greatest MMA fighters of all time...they all have one thing in Common. Most of them look like average people, but they are cerrebral fighters with great technique.

If you saw Fedor, Couture, Rutten, Lidell, Noguierra, or many of the other great fighters you would think that they were just average guys in good shape.

You could say that Bob Sapp was the biggest underachiever of all time if you are just talking about raw athletes.

Vitor belfort, I love his style he could be damn good if he got his shit together. He either came in to big and got winded or just never had his head in it. Hes a gracie black belt and wasnt he on the olympic team for boxing? Definitly the quickest hands in the ufc.

Thread Information