sonar1234 is offline Banned

Wink How much boxing technics are there in Muay Thai

There is a good Muay Thai school near my house which also have MMA, Shootwrestling, JKD and boxing.

I just started to watch boxing last week, i know this sounds weard i was never a big fan of it before.

I must say that i am very impress with all the combinations, and was wondering if Muay Thai covers a big part of the techics in boxing.

I would be interesed in starting Muay Thai has soon has my back is heeled up, so far so good.

Sta11ion is offline Member
    Muay thai is all technique, It will take you a 2 months just to learn how to walk right. Once you have technique it will never go away. Also you would not need to punch somone ten times to bring him down there are pressure points. But you will have to dedicate yourself for a good year 3 times a week. And apreciate it first as a art.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Sta11ion
    Muay thai is all technique, It will take you a 2 months just to learn how to walk right. Once you have technique it will never go away. Also you would not need to punch somone ten times to bring him down there are pressure points. But you will have to dedicate yourself for a good year 3 times a week. And apreciate it first as a art.
    Thank you very much, first let me say that my stance sucks, its damn does cause i come from a Tae Kwon Do backround, and before that i was flatfoot cause i was in karate (bit of the tank approach).

I have the BAs Rutten workout and the stance there for an mma fighter is a bit hard to catch on, i am use to switch legs all the time cause in TKD its sort of the bread and butter and it confuses the opponent in competition and sparring.

With the basic stance in Bas dvd its more of a boxing stance but a bit wider has he says, one leg in front to block the leg kick and the other in the back like little less exagerated then in the karate stance when you kick the mae geri kick.

I have visited the school and its awsome, they spend a lot of time on the thai pads and punching bags and sparring.

I know i will have to change everything again and make the switch like i did a long time again when i switched from karate to tkd, but muay thai is so much more effective.

I will take the time to learn everything and dont mind putting in 3 times a week to do so, its 2 times on the weekdays and once on saturday where its sparring.

I just cant wait.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Sonar I really wish you like in your training

Box This* is offline Associate Member
    Yes a boxer will stand side on and an mma fighter will stand practicaly face on basicly to protect yourself against and low kicks and takedowns.

I done muay thai for 6 months and what i found was the actual boxing skills wernt great but it is expected as there is alot more to muay thai...if i was to train to fight somone in a street fight i think muay thai would be the best option.

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonar1234
    There is a good Muay Thai school near my house which also have MMA, Shootwrestling, JKD and boxing.

I just started to watch boxing last week, i know this sounds weard i was never a big fan of it before.

I must say that i am very impress with all the combinations, and was wondering if Muay Thai covers a big part of the techics in boxing.

I would be interesed in starting Muay Thai has soon has my back is heeled up, so far so good.
    what are your goals? i mean why are you taking muay thai, to compete in muay thai, or to learn some boxing skills?

realmxofxnoise is offline Junior Member
    Like someone else said, Muay Thai is all technique. This is especially true depending on who your kru is. For instance, my kru is Matee "Dragon Leg" Jedeepitak. He's #1 in the world and 5 time world champion in Muay Thai. He's from Thailand. Anyway - he focuses so much on Technique. Some days he'll focus completely on power, others technique, etc.

Stance is very important and I was working on standing right for two weeks straight. Finally got it down, ha. Anyway, if you get a good kru, you will learn plenty of boxing. If you're looking for a more well rounded martial art, definitely go with Muay Thai. Afterall, you will have more weapons at your disposal.

fino is offline Junior Member
    you can also learn ground work in old style muay thai. if you have a kru he should be able to teach you. i foght muay thai for 3 years. i only train now but its the best form of self defence that i know. the styls take along time to learn. i wouldnt advise 2 try and learn to styls of fighting at the same time beacuse it takes alot of time to get your body used to the style off one type. i did this mistake when i first started i tryed westen boxing 2 days a week with muay thai 3 days and 1 day of mma. it was really hard for me so i desided to stick with muay thai and now i have lernt that im gooin on to mma. western boxing is not that good.

fino is offline Junior Member
    also if you train your hands in boxing just shadow boxing in ur on time like after work ad things like that or if you can just ask ur kur what will help u. because he will be seeing all yor mistakes from a distance so just ask him for some exercise for ur hands what will help u out.

My goals are to get in shape and learn to defend myself of course at 33 and coming slowly from a back injury i dont think competition is in sight for me.

I competed in karate and tkd younger, was quit stressing, when i lost even more.

I just want to have fun this time around, hit pads, sparring, no katas i just hate katas, and get in shape.

Thanks everyone for your feedback been great.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Even a Muay Thai stance has to be different for MMA...it all depends on what you want to do.

Muay Thai is brutal man, not for everyone and especially not for people that do not like to get punched/kicked in the face and most of all very rarely will anyone like the shin kicks.

Shins are brutal..but i love it all. I would love to join a Muay Thai school

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    Even a Muay Thai stance has to be different for MMA...it all depends on what you want to do.

Muay Thai is brutal man, not for everyone and especially not for people that do not like to get punched/kicked in the face and most of all very rarely will anyone like the shin kicks.

Yes but the school that i have found does teach all of this but you gotta have some control in the sparring, and elbows are not allowed but knees are.

Anyways all of this training does make the body stronger, i used to get knocked out on a regular basis when i did kyo kushin karate.

Big Rig is offline Associate Member
    I am into MMA (have a MMA pro card) and I personally love it all! Training is a lot rougher than the fights itself, but it is a high you cant explain. I try not to smile or look happy before I enter the cage or ring but to think about me getting the chance to beat someone up! its great then afterwards we all just hang out like nothing ever happen. So if you can make it through the touch training, your shins being all bulged up and your neck muscles feel like they are going to fall off or your arms are so heavy that you cant even pick up your drink, then if you decided to fight, you will be great. STICK TO IT!

Big Rig is offline Associate Member
    I am sorry but my fiance apparently forgot to log out (this is saturn oops) he is going to kill me! hahahahahah

HWHdancer is offline New Member
    a kru or a good teacher is a must. Although it seems to be harder and harder these days to find a teacher specifically in muay thai that doesnt want to mix it up with a bunch of MMA stuff. If your trying to learn muay thai chao churr, which is pretty much close to the most traditional form, then they do incorporate some grappling, ALOT more advanced footwork, and more "deadly" strikes. Had a chance to talk to a brilliant muay thai/muay lao boxer when i was visiting over there, i wish traditional was easier to find. Combat and ring muay thai is fantastic, but sometimes you just want to get a true "essence" of an art. I think you'll love muay thai though, just be prepared to get the shit kicked out of you constantly.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    the place i train MT, soem of the guys have taking the boxing aspect of MT alone and won very high in boxing tournements

alot is different, and i imagine some schools focus more or less on the boxing as opposed to the legs

it is taught different though at different places

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja

shins , i dont even bother blocking low leg kicks anymore if i dont have shin pads (fearing the shin on shin collision) I'd rather just flex the quad and eat the kick.

Just as a quick reference, in boxing, you lean forward quite considerably -

in Kickboxing, you are more upright, punches are often used defensively to stop the clinching & people who are good at boxing skills, essentially, in kickboxing the goal is to chop the opponents body as much as you can (often through axe kicks).

in MMA you will have 50/50 wieght distribution to protect against takedowns, though it varies between MMA fighers individual styles (i.e. jujitsu fighters lean foward in a crouch position, strikers often adopt a 60/40 wieght distribution to give quick striking advantages)

btw, i never trained in boxing for any length of time, so correct me if i'm wrong

RMBros is offline Junior Member
    To answer the original question, at least as I read it, the MT and western boxing don't share a lot of techniques/styles.

Western boxing has a more "fencing" kind of stance, where you present your off shoulder to the opponent (normally your left shoulder). That's because it's easier to defend both the mid-section and the head that way.

MT seems to have an almost straight ahead stance because you're defending more places from more directions. You have to defend head, legs, and mid-section. That's why you see a more MT-style stance in most MMA situations.

Self-defense or street fight wise, either one is okay, but MT is going to give you more protection against someone with some MA training.

Thread Information