BJJ Instructionals videos??

What are some good ones?

I was looking at Mario Sperry's Submission Grappling.

I want to buy just one at the moment and focus on guard passes.

Anyone have opinions?

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    sherdog.com they have a tone of instructional there, ask the guys on the forum there they should be able to help you out.

Mario Sperry is a great choice he is a great fighter

Thanks

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    dig your elbows into their inner-thigh - that will break the closed guard
    once broken, fight out one of the legs and try to get your knee passed his inner-thigh

also, you could try just standing up - allthough, as you know this is very dangerous - once you stand, immediatly take one of his legs to keep him grounded (his closed guard will immediatly break)
    - if he keeps closed, pick him up by his gui or clasp your hands to the back of his head and slam him

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    look up mmatracker

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GQ-Bouncer
    once broken, fight out one of the legs and try to get your knee passed his inner-thigh

also, you could try just standing up - allthough, as you know this is very dangerous - once you stand, immediatly take one of his legs to keep him grounded (his closed guard will immediatly break)
    - if he keeps closed, pick him up by his gui or clasp your hands to the back of his head and slam him

Trying to stand up in a closed guard is very difficult and very very stupid since it opens up a plethora of submissions on you. Slamming someone is also much hard than it looks. If you got your hands behind is head you may as well just try to get him in a neck crank.

Digging your elbow into his inner thigh is very dangerous to do as well but the safer route. This opens you up for a text book triangle.

Quote Originally Posted by GQ-Bouncer
    That is what I was doing...it works pretty well, you just have to be cautious and try not to use too much energy. I was wanting to find more, it is really hard to pass a guard. I usually bust my ass trying to pass a guard and then once I finally get it (side mount), the person just regains guard and it is very frustrating. I guess it is ok though, as long as I am not getting submitted or swept.

Quote Originally Posted by catabolic kid
    That is what I was doing...it works pretty well, you just have to be cautious and try not to use too much energy. I was wanting to find more, it is really hard to pass a guard. I usually bust my ass trying to pass a guard and then once I finally get it (side mount), the person just regains guard and it is very frustrating. I guess it is ok though, as long as I am not getting submitted or swept.

Next time when you try to pass guard go for the half guard and cross your feet to lock up his leg. Side mount is a little harder to do anything if your not doing any striking and your still in the learning phases. If your trying to push your elbow into HIS left thigh and he opens guard put your right leg over his left leg and seperate his legs between yours "half guard"....try to lock the leg up because he will immediately try pushing his left arm down on your right thigh to pull his left leg out to attain guard once again.

It takes time to learn how to pass the guard so dont worry the busting your ass part is natural

Thanks for the advice, I can say that the BJJ school I am going to is a great one and I cannot wait to see how much progress I can make. I would roll for 6 hours a day if I had the oppotunity...it is a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by catabolic kid
    Thanks for the advice, I can say that the BJJ school I am going to is a great one and I cannot wait to see how much progress I can make. I would roll for 6 hours a day if I had the oppotunity...it is a lot of fun!

It def is a lot of fun. I've rolled with plenty of BJJ guys and I find it fun to compare out diff styles to each others.

Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    It def is a lot of fun. I've rolled with plenty of BJJ guys and I find it fun to compare out diff styles to each others.
    Yeah, I would like to get into Sambo...but there really is not any Sambo schools anywhere.

Thread Information