Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sharky72 is offline Associate Member

Matt Hughs vs Royce Gracie.Done deal

Its all good and dandy and I look foward to watching it BUT, why not put Rickson Gracie in there with the cocky mofo and see what happens? I know Royce is a master grappler but I personally would rather see the best of the Gracies take on the best of the welter weights in the UFC.. I still hope Matts gets choked out

Box This* is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky72
    Its all good and dandy and I look foward to watching it BUT, why not put Rickson Gracie in there with the cocky mofo and see what happens? I know Royce is a master grappler but I personally would rather see the best of the Gracies take on the best of the welter weights in the UFC.. I still hope Matts gets choked out
    If this fight takes place matt hughes is going to enter a totaly different fight to his usual...gracie as you say choke within the early first round.

Ide love to see rickson jump in there as you say

copenhagen is offline Member
    i have to disagree, i don't really think that royce gracie knows what he is getting into, hughes trains hard and is 120% focused. you can tell in that dudes eyes that he is lookin to really fuk royce gracie up. it will be a good match, never count matt hughes out...just ask frank trigg.

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member

Rickson Gracie is nothing but a myth not to mention he is closing in on 50 years old. He never beat ANY top guys and actually never even fought a top guy. Sakuraba challenged him and Bas Rutten challenged him and he turned both fights down. Only person he has fought is an EXTREMELY out of prime Funaki.

I want to see the rules of this fight as I'm betting Royce is asking for no time limit.

KODE is offline Junior Member

i want to see.....

i want to see the original champ fight hughes again. my coach, and personal friend, BJ Penn was the reigning champ until the title was stripped away by the ufc because he fought in pride while under contract with the ufc. i really would like to see some competition against hughes rather than these crappy fights that hughes dominates in every one..

simm is offline Senior Member
    USfighterFC is very right in wat he said bout rickson and the time limit question..My opinion..Royce will pull out due to damage being inflicted on him..He is getting old too!!! Also hughes may keep this 1 standing as all gracies have VERY questionable striking abilities..

soo2bhuge is offline Senior Member
    Matt Hughes is going to destroy Royce Gracie. I understand the point behind this fight...but this is a walkthough for Matt. Royce can't match Matt's strength, he can't match his stand up, he won't take him down unless Matt decides to go down...Matt was right in saying he has more ways to win. I think there will be special rules for this match, such as no time limit, otherwise this is strictly for ratings and money. which is fine with me because i remember watching Royce in the very first UFC...so i'm all for it.

XxElitexX is offline Senior Member
    i say hughes wins.

Quote Originally Posted by KODE
    i want to see the original champ fight hughes again. my coach, and personal friend, BJ Penn was the reigning champ until the title was stripped away by the ufc because he fought in pride while under contract with the ufc. i really would like to see some competition against hughes rather than these crappy fights that hughes dominates in every one..

BJ Penn never fought in Pride.

Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    Rickson Gracie is nothing but a myth not to mention he is closing in on 50 years old. He never beat ANY top guys and actually never even fought a top guy. Sakuraba challenged him and Bas Rutten challenged him and he turned both fights down. Only person he has fought is an EXTREMELY out of prime Funaki.
    Bro, I got 1 thing to say about the Myth statement.. 500 wins 0 loses
    The Gracies like them or not, are the most influencial fighting family in history.. And Matt will probably win, but how can you ever count on a Gracie losing?

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    USfighterFC has a very strong point here and its true, i have the whole Bas Rutten dvd fight career and he did challenge in house Rickson Gracie but the fight never happened, i remember tha saku also challenged him and we never eard any of it afterwards.

I cannot take nothing away from Rickson either cause the fights i saw him in where all great, he is a techicien and a great submission artist.

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    When is this fight and I have my money on Royce.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soo2bhuge
    , he won't take him down unless Matt decides to go down...
    how do you figure that hughes cannot be taken down by gracie? he got dan severn on the ground.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    The Gracies like them or not, are the most influencial fighting family in history.. And Matt will probably win, but how can you ever count on a Gracie losing?

thats actually a supposed 400

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    how old is royce now anyways

Gotta be in his 40's. Hughs still better not make a mistake

Box This* is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatman51
    how old is royce now anyways
    Just turned 39.

http://groups.msn.com/CHINESEBOXINGR...iesrecord.msnw

According to this his fight career was 188 fights and 185 wins 2 were exibition

thats one hell of of a record

Anyone have the rickson gracie v zulu ?

First off its 400 and this is a bullshit number in itself. Who were these "supposed" 400 people? What events were these? Underground Brazilian fights for sure and I can easily say I've got 1,000 wins under my belt with no losses. How can I prove it to you? I can't just like Rickson can't, but hey I guess you gotta take my word for it. He ran from Sakuraba and Rutten who were legitimate threats to him. He fought nobodies, he beat nobodies and there is no documented evidence that any of his 400 fights even took place. I'm sure he had his share but yeah 400-0 is a total bullshit lie.

And Matt will probably win, but how can you ever count on a Gracie losing?

What about Renzo or Royler or Ryan or Rodrigo or Crosley or Daniel or Ralph and his 10 second match with Gomi, they have all lost and almost all of them have folded every match against top competition.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah didn't bj penn beat like 3 gracies in a row last year?

I dont even know but Sakuraba beat every Gracie he faced.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    I dont even know but Sakuraba beat every Gracie he faced.
    Yup, he wanted to fight rickson but the family wouldn't allow it

Quote Originally Posted by J.S.N.
    how do you figure that hughes cannot be taken down by gracie? he got dan severn on the ground.
    first of, hughes is shorter and if u watch his stance, there's no way Royce will take down a Division I wrestler who stays low to the ground like Matt. I wouldn't be surprised if Matt decided to change his stance for the fight, simply because Royce is no threat standing up and there's no way Royce will take down Matt by shooting at him.
    i think i remember Royce fighting Severn and if i'm not mistaken, he did one of his trademark kicks to Severn knees and then jumped in. watch any of Royce's old fights and you'll see he uses the same technique. In fact, most Gracies do. He did it to shamrock, he did it to severn, along with many others. he uses the kick to force the opponent to back up...once they do, he shoots in. this will not be the case, especially with someone like Matt Hughes who even if he backs up, will stay low to the ground. just watch his fights against GSP, Sherk or anyone else. the guy was an amazing wrestler for a reason. He will not be taken down, nor will he go to the ground unless he wants to and I don't know if he would against someone who enjoys being on his back more than any fighter in the mma.

I think at some point in the fight Hughes will be in Royces guard during the fight.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    I bet Royce asks for no time limits and will they let him fight with his Gi? Also Rickson Gracie is a myth like everyone says. I see Matt winning this and may even look to keep it standing at times. Royce's BJJ is behind the times espicially if he can't wear his Gi. I respect Royce alot but he is behind the times as matt said.

I think at some point in the fight Hughes will be in Royces guard during the fight.
    i don't doubt it at all. i think Matt Hughes will win by brutal G&P.

Quote Originally Posted by mn_fighter
    I bet Royce asks for no time limits and will they let him fight with his Gi? Also Rickson Gracie is a myth like everyone says. I see Matt winning this and may even look to keep it standing at times. Royce's BJJ is behind the times espicially if he can't wear his Gi. I respect Royce alot but he is behind the times as matt said.
    i don't think he can ask for no time limit. UFC is sanctioned by Nevada state athletic commission and this is not exactly Japan. i don't think they would just bend the rules like that.

I have that gracie documenty choke. where it talks about his 500 wins no losses, but who has he fought? I sure never saw more than 10 fights hes been in and they were with pretty much amatuers.

he has fought many fights and i'm sure he's fought 500 if not more. when his brother opened the first gracie jiu-jitsu gym in the late 80's, they used to fight other disciplines to prove bjj was the best. they also fought for money and for respect. my buddy is brazilian and he says fights like this are an every day thing in brazil, especially between different schools. these fights happen on the street or at schools but the fact that he had beaten over 500 people is probably true. u're talking about an art that was not known in the U.S. until mid-90's. when u watched the first few UFC's and saw Gracie tapping everybody out, most people didn't know what a submission was. i happened to do sambo for many years in the 80's and early 90's, but in sambo u don't really fight off your back, so even to me that was odd. for somebody to be on top of another person (even in a street fight) seems as though he's winning, whereas at any point the person on the bottom can do a kimura or a triangle choke and the other person or people around wouldn't even know what happened. i think that was the case with the Gracies and before bjj became famous just for that.

KODE is offline Junior Member

oops...

BJ Penn never fought in Pride.
    im sorry, i meant K-1...i get these 2 japanese venues mixed up all the time..

Quote Originally Posted by soo2bhuge
    he has fought many fights and i'm sure he's fought 500 if not more. when his brother opened the first gracie jiu-jitsu gym in the late 80's, they used to fight other disciplines to prove bjj was the best. they also fought for money and for respect. my buddy is brazilian and he says fights like this are an every day thing in brazil, especially between different schools. these fights happen on the street or at schools but the fact that he had beaten over 500 people is probably true. u're talking about an art that was not known in the U.S. until mid-90's. when u watched the first few UFC's and saw Gracie tapping everybody out, most people didn't know what a submission was. i happened to do sambo for many years in the 80's and early 90's, but in sambo u don't really fight off your back, so even to me that was odd. for somebody to be on top of another person (even in a street fight) seems as though he's winning, whereas at any point the person on the bottom can do a kimura or a triangle choke and the other person or people around wouldn't even know what happened. i think that was the case with the Gracies and before bjj became famous just for that.

Yeah but this is such a total bullshit statement by the gracies. I've probably done 1,000 matches in Sambo since the age of 8 years old and won more than a lions share but I dont go bragging that I've got such and such wins under my belt when so many of these matches are garbage.

Tedbear981 is offline Member
    I say Hughes in an easy win..

Yeah but this is such a total bullshit statement by the gracies. I've probably done 1,000 matches in Sambo since the age of 8 years old and won more than a lions share but I dont go bragging that I've got such and such wins under my belt when so many of these matches are garbage.
    i agree, but i think their whole idea of making such statements is that those were fights with more than one discipline. those were pretty much street fights or fights inside gyms which were unregulated or without referrees.
    that's why the Gracies started the UFC to show that bjj beats all other martial arts.

Gracie took everyone by surpirse back in the beginning of the UFC, when it was one style against another.

In 1993 there where no real MMA mixing muay thai with Jiu Jitsu and boxing, wrestling.

The karate guys got taken down easy, the boxer has well, the kung fu fighter.

But today The Gracie's have a lot of competition.

I think that Renzo Gracie stinks to high heavens, all of is matches go to decision and he did lose many mma fights, Royce has well.

I got the Bushido 1 dvd and the gracies add a hard time putting away there opposition, most of the fights went to the decision.

Royce deserve is title has a legend of the sport has Ken does cause they where the first ones in but has far has talent today goes they are surpased.

I would put my money on Matt Hugues, he is more powerful then Gracie and will put him against the fence and rain down some elbows on him.

Matt by TKO

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Hoyce has never fought a fierce striker like Hughes in my book, back in the day those guys strking abilities did not even compare to the sic elbows throw today. I cant wait for St. Pierre to fight Hughes although the Gracie annoucement caught me off guard.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuns101
    Hoyce has never fought a fierce striker like Hughes in my book, back in the day those guys strking abilities did not even compare to the sic elbows throw today. I cant wait for St. Pierre to fight Hughes although the Gracie annoucement caught me off guard.
    George St_pierre time is now, i still cant beleive he got to fight BJ Penn for a number one spot.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by sonar1234
    George St_pierre time is now, i still cant beleive he got to fight BJ Penn for a number one spot.
    Seems like Dana was postponing the inevitable.

I have seen GSP fight since is very first bout in UCC that became now TKO, i have talked to the guy couple of times at events and he is a great guy, one hell of a fighter too.

Dana needs to wake up, GSP is that type of fighter that could do very well in Pride.

He is young and in great shape and very close to be a master of is game, standing and on the ground.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Quote Originally Posted by sonar1234
    I have seen GSP fight since is very first bout in UCC that became now TKO, i have talked to the guy couple of times at events and he is a great guy, one hell of a fighter too.

Dana needs to wake up, GSP is that type of fighter that could do very well in Pride.

He is young and in great shape and very close to be a master of is game, standing and on the ground.
    He is good but to call him a master is going overboard. He didn't make it out of the first round with Hughes nothing to judge him on but he is by far from a master of the game

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information