Thread: JKD opinions

MiZongMaster is offline Associate Member

JKD opinions

Hey guys.. just wanted to get some opinions on the effectiveness of JKD out of the ring..

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Quote Originally Posted by MiZongMaster
    Hey guys.. just wanted to get some opinions on the effectiveness of JKD out of the ring..
    Its not a style a philosphy so you need to go train and utilize the philoshpy of his

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    Crap

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Muay Thai, mma school near my house teaches JKD, there is a lot of pad work and more, its all base on the principle of what works and everything else is thrown out the window.

I think it kinda looks cool.

goose is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    Crap

why crap?

It's just all a bunch of shit....from TKD to karate in most forms and JKD....they're pretty much useless and hardly competitive even in its own form.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    they vary, no JKD is theoretically the same (prob not true)

where Im at, a guy I know that teaches it, its basically MT + BJJ, thats the way he trains it.

i imagine there are some that really suck though

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    With, JKD, if a move doesn't work for you, don't use it... That is one of the concepts of JKD, and no, I don't think it is total crap. JKD is hard to learn cause there are very few qualified instructors... I guess it depends on what you want to do and how well you want to do it...

Monsteronjuice is offline Associate Member
    no art is crab, except for ti boe... billy blanks is a dusch

Quote Originally Posted by Monsteronjuice
    no art is crab, except for ti boe... billy blanks is a dusch

When it comes time to use them in the real world a lot of them prove to be crap...I think TKD is king of them and gaining a black belt is a joke since they give them out like candy.

MiZongMaster is offline Associate Member
    When it comes time to use them in the real world a lot of them prove to be crap...I think TKD is king of them and gaining a black belt is a joke since they give them out like candy.
    I am asking about JKD, not TKD.. JKD was built from using strong points of many arts, like bjj, MT, american boxing, wing chun, etc..

sonar1234 is offline Banned

Wink

Could not have said it better myself, i practiced TKD for 7 years, was a blue belt, at that time i didnt have money to pay for my belts but the people who add money would be black belt withing a year, JOKE.

TKD gives you a lot of feints, and the back kick is unbeatable but the rest is like you say CRAP.

We add mix competition against Kyo Kushin guys and always lost, third degree black belt would get kocked out so fast against Kyo kushin this is why i respect this traditional karate.

But TKD is the art that is most practiced around the world.

Watching back i would never get back in tkd, but then again back in 1987-1990 we did not have MMA, Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu classes and schools.

We only add fag shotokan that did not kick to the head, boxing school was too far away, tkd was new so cool to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by MiZongMaster
    I am asking about JKD, not TKD.. JKD was built from using strong points of many arts, like bjj, MT, american boxing, wing chun, etc..
    JKD varies all the time...you'll never really find a place that trains the same as any other place because its a BS art thats just a money maker. Like TKD. See the similarity?

DwinsChamps is offline Associate Member
    Excuse my ignorance, but what does "JKD" stand for?? I have a black belt in TKD, and everyone who says they give away blacks belts like candy IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. During my black belt test, a girl couldn't break her brick after nearly 10 tries. She broke down into tears and never even broke the f-ing thing. Of course, she got a black belt. However, I dunno anyone who's gotten a black belt in TKD after a single year's training. I trained nearly 4 hours a day for five years before I got mine...

Monsteronjuice is offline Associate Member
    JKD stands for Jeet Kune Do. This is the art bruce lee made up

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsteronjuice
    JKD stands for Jeet Kune Do. This is the art bruce lee made up
    Its a philosphy Bruce Lee made up. He said to take the best from each art and apply in a why that works for you. That said his fear became a reality when people started teaching it as in art. People are right it is mostly crap if your being taught it becouse what ever mcdojo instructor feels are the strong points of what ever martial art he wants to use says "this is JKD". So in freestyle fighter who takes the best from his decided martial arts could be considered a JKD fighter.

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    JKD is the original MMA, its a concept, find what works for you from any and all styles, but i dont beleive you can learn it at a JKD school, then you would be learning what works for the instructor

Thread Information