MMA and weight training

For those of you who train in Martial Arts do you still lift weights on a consistant basis? I recently started training Kickboxing\freestyle wrestling. I am doing this 3 nights a week and have cut back weights to 4 nights from 6. Plus i work a labour job as a carpenter so it is real taxing on my body, there is little to no time to recover. How do you do it?

Timm1704 is offline Anabolic Member
    i would say you can get away with it and still have the energy to function, AND grow from your weight training. to do this is all diet-based, and you would need to be consuming one hell of alot of calories every day. its more of a case of being able to eat that much. from a scientific standpoint, if your diet is giving you enough, there is no reason why you cannot do this. anyone have a different opinion?

Timm1704 is offline Anabolic Member
    oh and ofcourse, a good sleep of atleast 8 hours every night is needed

Muscle_4_Hire is offline Associate Member
    I have this question too... I know that compound movements like squats can help wrestlers develop strength but if you have mainly fast twitch fibers, its not gonna help you dancing around in the ring if you are trying to be a boxer. Thats slow twitch baby...

WHOADY4SHOADY is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanMachine2000
    For those of you who train in Martial Arts do you still lift weights on a consistant basis? I recently started training Kickboxing\freestyle wrestling. I am doing this 3 nights a week and have cut back weights to 4 nights from 6. Plus i work a labour job as a carpenter so it is real taxing on my body, there is little to no time to recover. How do you do it?
    Give your body about 2 months with the new training, and then you can slowly try to add an extra day back to your weight training. Eventually your body should become acostomed to the new stress you are putting it under. Just give it time, with lots of rest and nutrtion.

Phildude is offline Junior Member
    good luck with training.

Thread Information