Thread: Punch Opinion?

210-6foot is offline Junior Member

Punch Opinion?

What's the best way to punch? I always threw my back/body into it instead of a clean front push punch. Which one seems to be the most effective?

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    remember, only a 1/3 of punches you throw will land cleanly

i'm not sure how to answer that question except for you have to wait for openings

Box This* is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 210-6foot
    What's the best way to punch? I always threw my back/body into it instead of a clean front push punch. Which one seems to be the most effective?
    Your hips create most of the power to your shoulders...then the wieght will transfer.

With no gloves on i would probably say a hook would be most effective reason being a the hook is 95% of a chance going to hit the person to the side of the face...then ouce you hit the temple its game over in most cases.

With gloves on an upercut because the wieght your throwing the punch...and with the leaverage it should cause an upset.

Reason being i say hook with no gloves and upercut with gloves with the uppercut with no gloves on theres a big chance you could hurt your hands.

Knuckles to the temple always the best
    Last edited by Box This*; 01-23-2006 at 01:50 PM.

Monsteronjuice is offline Associate Member
    if every puch you throw your back and body into, most likely you will leave yourself open... thats why quick jabs are efficent and when he's stunned thats when you throw your body and back and its game over

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    If your throwing your bodyweight into a punch then its totally the wrong way. You shouldnt be pushing anyone with a punch. Punches should have snap on them. Its the snap that does the damage. Hips is the key to a punch like box this said.

Timm1704 is offline Anabolic Member
    exactly, you wont always have the opportunity to throw your whole body into a punch. but if the way is clear, go for it, me myself aim for the jaw, and again, with no gloves ive had the most success with hooks. knocks them right out

See I try to look this up and I can't find it anywhere. Is there any links that yous read up on? So when you throw a punch you put your hip into it, either a jab or a whole body shot? I like temples shots the most. I heard the most effective or the first should be a gut shot? Not sure I always stay focused in a fight no matter what. Sometimes I do get "agressive" real bad, but that's only when I am mad. I find this stuff interesting, thanks for the help.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    If your throwing your bodyweight into a punch then its totally the wrong way. You shouldnt be pushing anyone with a punch. Punches should have snap on them. Its the snap that does the damage. Hips is the key to a punch like box this said.
    Another "school-of-thought" from Chuck Liddel is to throw 100% into all your punches (this means predominantly double-wieghting yourself, dangerous in MMA) - but this is a MMA-only school-of-thought, as the padding to the knuckles can garnish a significant amount more damage than those of boxing gloves.

(the idea being, one clean 100% blow will end a fight)

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GQ-Bouncer
    Another "school-of-thought" from Chuck Liddel is to throw 100% into all your punches (this means predominantly double-wieghting yourself, dangerous in MMA) - but this is a MMA-only school-of-thought, as the padding to the knuckles can garnish a significant amount more damage than those of boxing gloves.

Bas rutten said the same thing....i honestly dont know if i agree

How do you double weight your punches?

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Box this comes closest to it. With a ring (or left) cross you rotate through your hips, this is were the torque is going to come from. With a job concentrate on getting it out and back in very fast. A hook is the same principle as the cross, your power is going to come from your hips. We call it 'dropping into' the hook here.

Either way you won't learn here. You'll have to get proper coaching.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by GQ-Bouncer

Hackleman works with Chuck on that as they pretty focus on power and not so much technique as evident in Chuck's striking style. There is a video somewhere where Hackleman addresses this question. They are all about power.

There are so many techniques but power comes from the hip and also sitting down on your punches.

sitting down on your punches?

uppercut, get in tight step with same foot as throwing hand rotate your hips and snap up. Most effective everytime I spar.

Quote Originally Posted by 210-6foot
    sitting down on your punches?

Sitting down on your punches means getting a good base and having your feet planted solid. Watch a pro boxer as opposed to an amateur...you will see the difference.

A good MMA fight i would recommend if you wanna see someone sitting down on their punches would be Lil Nog vs Saku at Pride Shockwave 2003

Don Frye is also commenting on Rogerio's technique...nice fight. Funy because now Rogerio is a National Boxing Champion.

Learning the logic behind a punch is awesome. Thanks for the help so far.

Thread Information