ThePump is offline Member

Needing some advice for BJJ

Hey guys i am starting some BJJ classes tonight and i was just wondering if you guys would have any advice for me as far as stretching or changing my workout up or dieting or anything. right now i'm 6'2 220 - 225lbs... and about 8% bf... but i'm not sure if i should change things up or even if you have any advice as far as BJJ itself goes i would rly appreciate it guys. thanx

Grappler13 is offline Productive Member

Be prepared

Quote Originally Posted by ThePump
    Hey guys i am starting some BJJ classes tonight and i was just wondering if you guys would have any advice for me as far as stretching or changing my workout up or dieting or anything. right now i'm 6'2 220 - 225lbs... and about 8% bf... but i'm not sure if i should change things up or even if you have any advice as far as BJJ itself goes i would rly appreciate it guys. thanx
    You'll have to see what works for you with regard to the stress of a BJJ workout. 1st night, the'll typically warm you up with the group for about 30 minutes (which should leave you breathing really hard), then a brown or black will teach you the very basics of the art (mount, side control, guard, arm bar, americano). Then, you may get to roll slowly with a higher belt.

Be prepared to get schooled by small men. It is a wierd art. I wrestled for ever and strength was always an important part of the game, however, BJJ really relies on technique and a good grappler will work you. BJJ requires a lot of dues being paid although I've found the learning curve to be fast. Let us know what you impressions are.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grappler13
    You'll have to see what works for you with regard to the stress of a BJJ workout. 1st night, the'll typically warm you up with the group for about 30 minutes (which should leave you breathing really hard), then a brown or black will teach you the very basics of the art (mount, side control, guard, arm bar, americano). Then, you may get to roll slowly with a higher belt.

Be prepared to get schooled by small men. It is a wierd art. I wrestled for ever and strength was always an important part of the game, however, BJJ really relies on technique and a good grappler will work you. BJJ requires a lot of dues being paid although I've found the learning curve to be fast. Let us know what you impressions are.
    well put

Quote Originally Posted by Grappler13

great thanx man... i rly appreciate it. yeah i'll deff let you know whats up after tonight. if you would like to check out the schools website its http://columbusbjj.bravehost.com/ lemme know wutcha think about it.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Be patient!

Its gotta be in your blood to truly excel at BJJ...you will spend months getting tapped out right and left and you will feel like you are'nt getting anywhere..stick it out and eventually you will get the "feel" of things and will learn how and when to use your weight and you will start finishing people.

As far as diet goes? It is gonna depend on what you end up wanting to do, do you want to train for MMA or Body Building..obviously they are two different worlds.

Most important, HAVE FUN..it is truly a beautiful art and good luck.

A little story:

My friend who is 6'2 225lbs was rolling with Rickson, Rickson is roughly 185-190lbs and 5'10 i guess? Rickson simply had cross side position on him and my bud came close to tapping just from the pressure he was under. I shit you not it feels like a ton of bricks laying on you and you can;t move. If you do manage to move it is because he has transitioned into a submission and you tap.

If you are a big guy plus you know how to use your weight, small guys will hate being on the bottom, i should know..i was always one of the heavier guys.
    Last edited by Panzerfaust; 01-24-2006 at 03:50 PM.

cool thanx muriloninja... so i went to the class and i freakin loved it!!! i never wrestled in high school, so i had never done anything like that but it was so much fun. such a good work out and grappler13 you weren't kidding, those warmups had me feelin pretty bad about where i stand at in cardio wise... lol... but i made it through it and, shit i just don't know how to say it, but it was so much damn fun. i'm going back tomorrow. i'm gonna start doing it 2 days a week right now just because i want to be able to also resistance train. but damn was it ever fun

Quote Originally Posted by ThePump
    cool thanx muriloninja... so i went to the class and i freakin loved it!!! i never wrestled in high school, so i had never done anything like that but it was so much fun. such a good work out and grappler13 you weren't kidding, those warmups had me feelin pretty bad about where i stand at in cardio wise... lol... but i made it through it and, shit i just don't know how to say it, but it was so much damn fun. i'm going back tomorrow. i'm gonna start doing it 2 days a week right now just because i want to be able to also resistance train. but damn was it ever fun
    How did you do as far as grappling against the other students...my first time the instructor asked me if I wanted to grapple as I said yes. So, he calls a brown belt over to me and says to the brown belt "give him the welcome." He tapped me out like three times in 5 minutes...it was alot of fun though. You will learn so much, so fast!

they just put me up with some newbies just like me... and i got them in 2 different choke holds that they showed us and i kept going for an arm bar but i think i was just a hair too slow. yeah it's an amazing time... plus it'll make me more confident in the end and that's what i'm kinda going for too along with a great new work out and something to look forward to.

Grappler13 is offline Productive Member

Take your time!

Don't get too aggressive. When I first started, I tried to bulldoze this purple belt (just for the hell of it I figured I'd see who ended up in control). Long story short, it wasn't me and I hyperextended my knee. Roll slowly, when someone has you in an armbar, let it hurt and stretch before you tap and most importantly, NEVER tap unless you have to. Yeah, I know, a knee in the chest or barely being abel to breath sucks but you'll learn to survive on less and less oxygen. Don't hurt yourself but make it hurt (like in the weight room).

Keep us posted: let us know when you tap a blue or throw a perfect armbar!

yeah i deff will... i can't wait till i can throw my first perfect armbar!

Thread Information