Hunter is offline Grateful

Alistair Overeems move to Heavyweight

I think this is a great move for him. I know alot of stiff comp without a doubt at this division but I think it help his gas tank out alot to and now he can focus on that and not so much cutting(if that his part of the gas tank problem). Great striker with a wicked Guillotine choke. What do you guys think about his move up?

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    It definately will not hinder him and his 6'5 frame any thats for sure, i am still not convinced cutting to 205lbs is the cause of his suspect cardio? We shall see.

One thing to note is that Overeem does not seem to have any guys in his gym that push him and set the pace, he dictates the pace. His brother is there and a handful of other guys but Herring left and is now in Vegas.

When he fights and the other person pressures him and sets the pace, he gasses rather quickly. The Shogun fight is a good example, Shogun does not stop..once he had Overeem down he immediately is working to pass and immediately upon passing is hitting Allister with knees to the head etc...Don't get me wrong, Overeem was doing well at first but when Shogun kept coming you see him slowly fading.

It is draining as shit to fight someone like that, you burn yourself out playing defense.
    Last edited by Panzerfaust; 01-31-2006 at 01:49 PM.

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    It definately will not hinder him and his 6'5 frame any thats for sure, i am still not convinced cutting to 205lbs is the cause of his suspect cardio? We shall see.

One thing to note is that Overeem does not seem to have any guys in his gym that push him and set the pace, he dictates the pace. His brother is there and a handful of other guys but Herring left and is now in Vegas.

When he fights and the other person pressures him and sets the pace, he gasses rather quickly. The Shogun fight is a good example, Shogun does not stop..once he had Overeem down he immediately is working to pass and immediately upon passing is hitting Allister with knees to the head etc...Don't get me wrong, Overeem was doing well at first but when Shogun kept coming you see him slowly fading.

It is draining as shit to fight someone like that, you burn yourself out playing defense.
    And you know Sergei is gonna do the exact same thing cuz Kharitonov seems to totally push the pace of his fights.

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Good move lets see what he can do in the heavyweights division

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    This should be interesting as we have not seen Kharitonov fight anyone with good knees (Rizzo is not big on knees and Ninja was overweight)...he might get caught but my instict says he will put on a boxing clinic.

Should be good nonetheless.

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    so its kharitonov vs overeem? thats gonna be a good fight imo, i see lotsa striking.

Tedbear981 is offline Member
    He got knocked out by Lidell at 200 lbs..not a good idea with his suspect chin to be getting hit by heavyweights.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedbear981
    He got knocked out by Lidell at 200 lbs..not a good idea with his suspect chin to be getting hit by heavyweights.
    I find it funny for people to question his chin. He has had 2 KO losses (not tko) in his pro career going on 7 years and 27 fights.

If you get hit in the jaw in the right way anyone is going to go down.

He has a medium build so I don't think he can hold more than 220-225. Not sure, does anyone know what is his natural weight?

I am going to go re-watch his first pro fight with Fleet and see if they show his weight at that time.

For anyone interested I made a pretty comprehensive HL of him that is hosted at www.subfighter.com. Free account signup and you can DL about 450 fighter highlights for free once you sign up.
    Last edited by sp9; 01-31-2006 at 06:27 PM.

Tedbear981 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sp9
    I find it funny for people to question his chin. He has had 2 KO losses (not tko) in his pro career going on 7 years and 27 fights.

If you get hit in the jaw in the right way anyone is going to go down.

He has a medium build so I don't think he can hold more than 220-225. Not sure, does anyone know what is his natural weight?

I am going to go re-watch his first pro fight with Fleet and see if they show his weight at that time.

For anyone interested I made a pretty comprehensive HL of him that is hosted at www.subfighter.com. Free account signup and you can DL about 450 fighter highlights for free once you sign up.
    not to argue with you bro, but he was rocked by Rua, knocked out by Lidell, even buzzed by Nogueira(watch the fight) i was just saying if he's getting rocked by 200 pounders, he shouldnt move up IMO.

sp9
    For his 4th fight at 2H2H - 1 - March 3, 2000 he weighed in at 214.5lbs (97.5kg)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alistair Overeems move to Heavyweight-aovereem.jpg  

sp9
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedbear981
    not to argue with you bro, but he was rocked by Rua, knocked out by Lidell, even buzzed by Nogueira(watch the fight) i was just saying if he's getting rocked by 200 pounders, he shouldnt move up IMO.
    No problem. I just get to wonder when people are critical of a pro fighter, how much of their career have they actually watched? Everyone has bad nights.

Me, I have seen 26 of his 27 fights and the one I have not seen in full, I have seen highlights (Rings Holland-There Can Only Be One Champion).

Lots of the newer fans have only seen the newer fights or the ones that Pride is broadcasting on free tv.

I hear people bad mouth Miletich all the time, and I would agree, if you only saw his last few fights you might think he is boring or not that great. The overwhelming evidence after seeing his full career is that he was way ahead of his time and extrememly exciting to watch. But then again, most people don't have access to watch mma event like Battle of the Masters or Brawl at the Ball Park.

sonar1234 is offline Banned

Red face

I hear people bad mouth Miletich all the time, and I would agree, if you only saw his last few fights you might think he is boring or not that great. The overwhelming evidence after seeing his full career is that he was way ahead of his time and extrememly exciting to watch. But then again, most people don't have access to watch mma event like Battle of the Masters or Brawl at the Ball Park. [/QUOTE]

Thats where the real MMA fan is losing, shedog got some underground dvds but not all of them, sucks. Even K-1 holds out on the ppv dvd events but why.

Miletich was suppose to have signed with TKO here in Canada for one fight but that never happened, same thing has Robbie Lawler was suppose to fight Patrick Cote, that never happened either, i think that even if we have TKO mma here its sucks, last event most of the fighters that where suppose to be on hands where not, main event was Hominick which is very good against a Pancrase guy very good but the whole card was headlined by a 139 pounds fighters main event.

sp9
    Quote Originally Posted by sonar1234
    Miletich was suppose to have signed with TKO here in Canada for one fight but that never happened, same thing has Robbie Lawler was suppose to fight Patrick Cote, that never happened either, i think that even if we have TKO mma here its sucks, last event most of the fighters that where suppose to be on hands where not, main event was Hominick which is very good against a Pancrase guy very good but the whole card was headlined by a 139 pounds fighters main event.
    k1 releases event dvd's very fast. ZST, Shooto, Deep are pretty good at releasing best of DVD's. Problem is most of them are released in Japan, region 2 NTSC. You just need a dvd player that plays all region and both PAL and NTSC. ww.budovideos.com gets them imported to the US for you and then will ship them out from there anywhere. Another problem is the currency conversion. You are looking at 55-60 dollars US to buy a vid released in japan.

Thread Information