Muscle_4_Hire is offline Associate Member

Motivation to Fight

I've been sitting on the sidelines for about 3 months, watching UFC on Spike TV, Pride fights online, going to sherdog.net... I'm trying to decide if I want to start mixed martial arts fighting... I mean I love watching it, the submission holds, combination strikes, etc etc... its more about the fight than the knockouts. I've done powerlifting/bodybuilding for about 3 years now and I've gotten as hardcore as somebody can get (think getting kicked out for doing huge deadlifts and puking on a consistent basis on my compound lifts.) I like it intense. However, MMA is so fuvckin hardcore sh-- and its all new to me so I'm overwhelmed...
    If I ever did MMA, I wouldn't want to give up my powerlifting/bodybuilding, I would want my weight training to supplement my MMA training. So, I'm going on a cycle from Feb to April and was thinking of starting MMA in May. But as for now I'm still really thinking long and hard if this is something I want to do or not.

So... what started you guys on MMA and what motivated you at first to go do it? What keeps you goin?

I am in the same situation you are in, except I have been doing a little jiu jitsu. I will tell you that through bodybuilding I have gotten really strong muscles and really weak joints...in other words the weightlifting has made me injury prone...fukin shoulders are a big problem for me. To avoid injuries you would really have to modify your training. What are your stats?

As of 1-29-06, I'm 200 lbs @ 13.8 % bodyfat with 27.9 my BMI. I've had a hairline fracture in my left arm so only done lower body in the past 4 weeks but its 99% healed up so I can start my cycle this coming Monday. I do mainly heavy compounds, so this actually works out to strengthen my joints.

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle_4_Hire
    As of 1-29-06, I'm 200 lbs @ 13.8 % bodyfat with 27.9 my BMI. I've had a hairline fracture in my left arm so only done lower body in the past 4 weeks but its 99% healed up so I can start my cycle this coming Monday. I do mainly heavy compounds, so this actually works out to strengthen my joints.
    You may not have problems but, lifting barbells and dumbells does not give you the stability...we probably do the same workouts. Anyways, Murilloninja will give you a good straight forward answer when he gets on. It sounds like you want to compete, this would require a lot of work and time dedicated to training that alot of people do not have.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    It might help if you told us your age and if you have any combat sports background? I mean if you have wrestled thats great will compliment your BJJ in takedowns. Any Sambo,Judo,boxing,Muay Thia backgroud to?. I will tell you its alot of work and your right very intense you will get banged up in Muay Thia practive i know I mean Rich Franklin didn't start till he was 21 I believe. You can start now and if you are serious become good standards wise(smaller shows). Really its up to you and how much time your willing to put in and of course check your ego at the door

Sharky72 is offline Associate Member
    Bro everyone is different. If you really think you got what it takes to get in the ring and risk having your face contorted, bones snapped and knocked the f*ck out cold with your feet shaking 6 inches off the mat.. Then I say WTF, do something about it and find yourself a well rounded school. And I'm not talking bout Ying's dojo Lol.. there are plenty of good schools that incorporate stand up as well as a much needed ground game... I curious as to how many fights youve actually been in, if you dont mind??

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    "If I ever did MMA, I wouldn't want to give up my powerlifting/bodybuilding,"

then it probally will never happen for you if you wanted to be serious about it

your making it too difficult. you dont just wake up and say you are an MMA fighter and go step in the ring..shit takes years of training (if you want to actually be good) and its not like a lifelong commitment or something, you seem to be really putting it up on a high pedestal and making it a difficult desision when its not..just like deciding to go to a bar..hey decide to go train some bjj tonight...big deal

just take 1 thing and start off with that. take up like MT, judo, boxing, bjj..just 1 and try it out..if you dont like it..oh well..least you know

I'm 5' 11", 200 lbs, 21 years old. Right now, I would just want an intro to MMA. I probably wouldn't want to compete or anything unless I loved it. My whole philosophy right now is that I have muscle size and strength but what function does it serve but to pose. I'd like to know how to take care of myself. I'm thinking right now of 3 days weight training and 3 days MMA, like a Mon-Wed-Fri mix. I basically want to know how to fight well but I don't want to make a career out of it... thats what I'm going to college for.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    Honestly dude?

I started cuz i thought fighting was cool, but i stay because of the close relationships that are formed within the fight club.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Goddamnit! I posted a long ass reply but somehow it got erased.

Anyways now to make it short and sweet. First thing i would tell you is to take that AAS and throw it out the window. Find a BJJ school nearby and take an intro class (which is free most of the time) and then see what you think. Be ready to get your ass kicked for awhile by smaller guys as well as "out of shape" guys, possibly even some girls.

Then you need to find a Muay Thai school, if getting your joints and neck twisted on a daily basis is'nt enough for you then Muay Thai will test your will to be an MMA fighter. One thing you need to ask yourself is if you are ready not only to give a punch but to recieve punches? Not to many people like to take punches and kicks and knees..its has to be in your blood and if you are doing this for any other reason you are wasting your time and your muscle. Why muscle you ask, well MMA training would have you running 5+ miles a day, swimming along with BJJ and Muay Thai training, special training/drills mixed in and this my friend is not going to be good for a guy with a bodybuilding background, i am sure you also know the diet is gonna have to change as well.

Here are some BJJ schools in NC:

Chapel Hill

Millennium Health and Fitness
    6118 Farrington Road, Suite F
    Chapel Hill, NC 27514
    Instructor: Greg Thompson
    919-401-2959

Charlotte

Alliance Jiu Jitsu of Charlotte
    1607-G Montford Drive
    Charlotte, NC 28209
    Instructors: José Luís "Sucuri" Togno & Paulino "Mushu" Elssimani 704-477-8552

Concord

Joe Hurst Jiu-Jitsu Academy
    125 S. Union St.
    Concord, NC 28025
    Instructor: Joe Hurst
    704-857-9001

Dallas

Ormaza's Family Karate
    Dallas Towne Plaza
    171 West Trade St.
    Dallas, NC 28016
    Instructor: Alex Ormaza
    704-922-5022

Greenville

All-American Martial Arts Academy
    Extreme Gym
    821 Dickinson Ave
    Greenville, NC
    Instructors: Chris Mann & James Speight
    252-341-6872

Wake Forest

Brazilian JiuJitsu North Carolina
    Cornerstone Karate
    1241 S. Main St.
    Wake Forest, NC 27587
    Instructors: Guy Pendergrass & Rob Pendergrass
    919-528-0950

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I cannot stress enough the importance of finding a BJJ school that does No-Gi training and some Vale Tudo classes. If you are truly wanting to be a MMA fighter than forget the Gi. You might have people tell you that you must train in the Gi to become good at No-Gi, this is bullshit. The Gi gives you many grips and some fancy submissions but they mean nothing once the Gi comes off and you got a fist in your face. When rolling No-Gi you will have to get accustomed to your game being more fluid and fast since niether you or your opponent have collars, sleeves to hold onto.

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    I cannot stress enough the importance of finding a BJJ school that does No-Gi training and some Vale Tudo classes. If you are truly wanting to be a MMA fighter than forget the Gi. You might have people tell you that you must train in the Gi to become good at No-Gi, this is bullshit. The Gi gives you many grips and some fancy submissions but they mean nothing once the Gi comes off and you got a fist in your face. When rolling No-Gi you will have to get accustomed to your game being more fluid and fast since niether you or your opponent have collars, sleeves to hold onto.

Thanks for the contacts... check these out:

Champion Karate & Kickboxing Center
    Kickboxing, Jiu Jitsu, Miletich Fighting Systems
    Marketplace Mall, 127 S. College Rd., Wilmington
    (910) 792-1131

Raleigh Institute of Martial Arts/Team ROC (Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu)
    1017 E Whitaker Mill Rd, Raleigh, N.C.
    Primary Instructors: Jason Culbreth, Jeff Wooten
    Instructors Ranking: Jason (brown), Jeff (blue) both in RGJJ
    An evening BJJ class is taught here Monday thru Thursday
    Phone: (919) 828-4447

I'm working in Philadelphia right now until July but will be going back to North Carolina for college in August... The first one "Champion Karate and Kickboxing Center" I'm really excited about because its going to be right by main campus in Wilmington (UNCW) and it employs Miletich Fighting Systems, which I've heard good things about.

Thread Information