Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Only one fighting style. The most effective.

Brohim is offline Senior Member
    How long does it take to become semi adequate if you train MT? With no prior training.

BBrian is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brohim View Post
    How long does it take to become semi adequate if you train MT? With no prior training.
    I started with American Kickboxing, which essentially is a combination of Muai Thai and Western Boxing. I could go on about the contrasting differences in individuals, but will settle to say that with no prior training, I'd expect one to be semi-adequate within a mere four months of training, granted the practitioner gives dedicated training around three times per week. I trained for nearly a year before entering my first amateur bout, and was so overcome with "stage fright" my first time that I practically forgot how to fight! After that initial shock, however, I never lost another match. Nor did I lose any matches in boxing, nor karate. I'll mention, too, that I had an incredible coach when I started. He taught me kickboxing, boxing, and muai thai. He was a Vietnam era Marine with shins like concrete who had the chance to train both in America as well as in Japan. The stories he would tell...

Gsxr84 is offline Junior Member
    I would go with Muay Thai just because i think having a solid stand up is the way to go, although all i have trained was boxing and bjj for years. I figured i'd get the basics of striking down path then develop good ground,

txnhb is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brohim
    That's kind of a silly question. I'm not trying to offend you. It's different for everybody really. I've seen guys train for years that suck an I've seen guys train for 1 and are bad ass. One things for sure though. The most important thing is ring experience. Things start to get better like vision and being comfortable the more you get in the ring and fight.
    The problem is mma has gotten so big that there are a lot of shitty trainers out there that think they know what they're doing and people that don't know any better who are eating that shit up.

Personally in the world of mma wrestling has to be the best base to have. Then bjj followed by dutch style muay thai I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by scaredycat
    Most wrestlers put BJJ guys right were they want to be.
    Mma is evolving to where you don't want to be on your back even if you are a bjj guy. Everybody know ground defense nowadays.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by txnhb View Post
    Mma is evolving to where you don't want to be on your back even if you are a bjj guy. Everybody know ground defense nowadays.
    if you are fighting now. you cant just be great in one style. Years ago you could. Now fighters are to well versed and you will get crushed
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

^^^^^ yep

sjamal1023 is offline Junior Member
    i myself have been training in different fighting styles for just about 6 years now. black belt in tkd. not the greatest fighting style because it only works with certain body types. (lanky) after i received my black belt in tkd i trained in bjj for 4 years (still going too) i absolutely love it. having these grappling skills will allow you to defeat any opponent regardless of their size. (this is why jiu jitsu was created in the first place.) for the past year, i've also been training in Muay Thai. This fighting style is absolutely brutal. kicks, when delivered properly, can easily shatter ribs, seperate tendons in the leg, and knockout out anyone who was unfortunate enough to let you kick them in the head.
    i personally think they both have their own places and cant really be compared but both are very dangerous.
    bjj can teach you to break bones at joints, stop blood circulation from going to the head, or even dislocate limbs.
    muay thai is just brutal striking.
    i think one should know a little bit of both.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I briefly studied Kung Fu and then spent several years studying Tae kwon do. Even boxed some in the army. What I know to be true, what ever style you feel you know, is this…..

…hit the sunofabich first, and make damn sure it counts!

"Roman's Rule to live by"

Cafe is offline New Member
    Boxing or wrestling

G Lock is offline Banned
    If you only had to pick one fighting style I would go with the *****! They have the best fighting style, Nobody can beat them or land a hit! When they run its like no other! You can win against brock lesnar with that fighting style! Anderson silva can't even touch you. You don't lose either technically speaking it will be a tie! Think about it if you tied in a fight with anderson silva thats good right! If they somehow catch up to you then that means only one thing...They also know or learned the ***** fighting style how else could they have caught you!
    Remember the ***** is the way to go, when you here guys talk about IM GETTING SOME ***** TONIGHT, they wernt talking about girls dummy..they were talking about fighting lessons duh why else do so many people know and use this fighting style in real life fights BECUASE IT WORKS!!!
    The best part is anyone can learn it but not everyone can master it! So punch anderson silva in the mouth and run! Yes technically you never lost because it would be a tie!

Obviously this is a joke if you were planning on doing this though it will work!

G Lock is offline Banned
    Wrestling and not the kind where you dry hump them on the ground for 30 minutes. I'm talking about anything that will teach wrestling and let you be on top of someone while punching there face is good. Would you rather be fighting someone standing up and they are beating your azz or would you rather have them on top of you beating your azz. Point is you can't use bodyweight if someone is on top of you and if they are a good striker now they arn't....until they get back up but point is not every throw is a KO punch so if you can take a hit or aint afraid I would learn something that has some wrestling in it.
    Did you ever see the fight with Thiago Silva VS Brandon Verra? Brandon verra got destroyed and couldn't get off the ground that whole match. He got a pretty bad if not the worst nose break I've ever seen and he was getting literlly BitchSlapped over and over thats how bad he got destroyed.

Any good wrestler will win if they don't get caught in a submission or somehow lucky KO on the ground which I doubt will happen.

paleocaveman is offline New Member
    If I had to choose one, it would have to be jiu jitsu. It's easier taking someone down and submitting them than knocking someone out. A pure jiu jitsu player can make it a lot further in the UFC than a pure striker.

swolestriker3 is offline New Member
    In a average street fight? kickboxing imo, but muay thai's up there to

t-dogg is offline Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredycat
    If someone were to only learn 1 fighting style, what would it be?.....
    Karate
    Muy Thai
    BJJ
    Wrestling
    Ninjutsu if war was broke out. Thats overall the best art/arts.

But it also depends what your goal is.

anabolic andrew is offline New Member
    The most practical street fighting and real life situation fighting martial art is called wing chung. Look it up. I have a group of friends who have been doing it for years, there's techniques for hand vs hand, hand vs knife, hand vs blunt object, etc. It covers a whole range of scenarios and possibilities most martial arts do not consider.

Sieg_kyle is offline New Member
    I've been training BJJ and MT for a few years. In the few physical altercations I have been in during that time having good hands and a solid double has done the trick.

Fcastle357 is offline Senior Member
    There is no better style only superior fighters. All this wing Chung is the best or bjj is the best or kravmaga all bs. The fighter determines the outcome not the style.

t-dogg is offline Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by Fcastle357
    There is no better style only superior fighters. All this wing Chung is the best or bjj is the best or kravmaga all bs. The fighter determines the outcome not the style.

Every art is best for what it was designed for.

Think about that statement guys.

Quote Originally Posted by t-dogg

Every art is best for what it was designed for.

Think about that statement guys.
    I agree to a point. Different arts were designed for what was best at the time circumstance and situations even the body type of the people doing the art. However they were all designed for one thing to defeat your opponent. It doesn't mater if it means killing your opponent submitting or just escape. The individual will determine how when or if that happens. If one man is trained to submit another man and the other man is trained to kill the better man will win not the style.

Reiid13 is offline Member
    If you go out on the razz and end up in a fight , its guaranteed it will go to the ground and most likely one of you will be In a headlock .... So bjj ... But if you do MT ... When the fight is starting you can kick the other guys head off or bukkle his knee cap ... Prevention is better than cure , MT !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reiid13 View Post
    If you go out on the razz and end up in a fight , its guaranteed it will go to the ground and most likely one of you will be In a headlock .... So bjj ... But if you do MT ... When the fight is starting you can kick the other guys head off or bukkle his knee cap ... Prevention is better than cure , MT !!!
    Welcome. Not trying to be a dick. You said the fight is guaranteed to go to the ground. After that a headlock. All this of course unless you know MT. Then it can be prevented. Well than why bother with bjj? Just learn MT. Makes no sense at all. Then what about the question "well what if I learn both. I will be unstoppable!" Not if your training mind and body is weak. Not the art! Its the artist. You can give anyone a race car but if you cant drive, the person in the Volvo is still gonna win.

squatsfordays is offline New Member
    I mean no matter what style you have 5 guys attacking you I think your sol anyways haha but if you can mastee takedowns in bjj then its extremely effective

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    wrestling and BJJ for me. I try to avoid getting knocked in the mouth or eye, I really need my eyes and teeth. So if I can bring you down before you hit me, then that's where I am most comfortable. on...the ground.

MT would be awesome to learn though, karate is a waste of time for me. I learned it and its useless in a street fight.

Quote Originally Posted by chadcuz1985 View Post
    wrestling and BJJ for me. I try to avoid getting knocked in the mouth or eye, I really need my eyes and teeth. So if I can bring you down before you hit me, then that's where I am most comfortable. on...the ground.

MT would be awesome to learn though, karate is a waste of time for me. I learned it and its useless in a street fight.

Karate is a waste of time lol. You learned it? How long did you study it? If you are unable to apply it to self-defense then you did not learn it!

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Fcastle357 View Post
    Karate is a waste of time lol. You learned it? How long did you study it? If you are unable to apply it to self-defense then you did not learn it!
    couple years, I was a red 3 about to go for my black belt. I had one more tournament and I would have been first degree black. I was just a teenager at the time, it might have been different now, but I don't think it would be much.

Quote Originally Posted by chadcuz1985 View Post

couple years, I was a red 3 about to go for my black belt. I had one more tournament and I would have been first degree black. I was just a teenager at the time, it might have been different now, but I don't think it would be much.
    A lot has to do with age. Also intent (what your trying to get out of it) and the school. If you were awarded belts for a tournament then thats a big problem right there. I assure you that karate alone is a great art for self defense as are most the arts. Again it's the artist not the art.

NigerREHSAB is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    I prefer muay thai as I think standup is the best way to fight. It's arguable that BJJ would be better. Each of them have their place and depend on the opponent though. If I had to only learn one to defend myself I would pick Muay Thai for sure.
    Coy Lay Fut

This is the most effective and brutal system ever developed. Quoted by Bruce Lee.

I have studied a few forms of martial arts, and trust me, this is very effective and it caters for all kinds of people, shapes, and sizes.

Frank egg white is offline Junior Member
    Impossible to answer. Besides, i'm a lover...

CaptainSuperAwesome is offline Junior Member
    Atemi - the art of pressure points. Needs lots of practice and lots of learning, however when you are able to disable people simply with a pinch or good poke...really helps. MT. is damn good. Also Cannot forget Krav Maga

treant is offline Junior Member
    Muay Thai. It will harden your shins and learn ya how to kick and punch, elbow and headbut (sometimes) and it can be used against multiple opponents. Wrestling cant be used against multiple opponents.. for obvious reasons..

jitzer is offline New Member
    Boxing is the best for knocking someone out with your fist. BJJ is a must study hands down or your gonna get your arm broken or choked out quickly if you're fighting someone experienced in BJJ. Freestyle wrestling is great for controlling opponent on the ground and taking you're opponent down. Also a skilled wrestler can be VERY difficult to take down due to his ability to sprawl and parry. Best advice, get a base in BJJ, then learn wresting and boxing. MT and Krav Maga will round out your skills well. Also, if you're gonna get in a fight with someone and his ears look like chewed bubble gum, walk the other way.

test_cyp is offline Associate Member
    I believe the best is BJJ. If you train at a school that emphasizes self-defense vs competition you'll find it covers many different aspects. BJJ teaches you stand-up, take downs, fight from the top and the bottom. Plus I think many people have a punchers chance where-as if it goes to the ground you will be helpless if you are untrained.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    One quick note on Krav Magra,

If you are attacked and use Krav Magra the way most instruct you to in a street fight and wind up in court, you would be better off if you just pulled a pistol and shot the guy in the thigh....just sayin:-)

While the above is a stretch, I can not believe people sending their kids to Krav Magra classes.

blake702 is offline Junior Member
    MMA =p Separating them is just isn't realistic anymore. I mean why limit yourself by not knowing grappling (which is all judo, jiu jitsu, wrestling, sambo ect are fancy words for grappling) and not striking or striking without jiu jitsu? Look up reviews on a local mma gym and you'll learn it all. Hope that helps!

That said... jiu jitsu gyms seem to have good teachers here in the U.S.

blake702 is offline Junior Member
    Krav Magra is great for weapon defense/self defense, but you have to be weary. I've went to 3 gyms and 2 of them had instructors who obviously weren't as qualified as they'd have you believe. Jiu jitsu or mma is great because you get to roll/spar with a live opponent and try your best with real situations. Some jiu jitsu gyms also teach weapon defense.

Mitch535 is offline Junior Member
    I'm on the same boat with Krav Maga. I've trained Muay Thai for years and would alllllllllmost be on that train, but Muay Thai is still adapted for a combat sport, while Krav Maga is entirely designed around the concept of disabling your opponent as soon as possible in a real world combat scenario.

And I agree, Blake, finding a real qualified Krav Maga instructor in the United States is pretty damn hard, despite what they would like you to believe.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    KM is not a sport. it is hand to hand combat drills for troops. It has marketing behind it currently. MT or any sport that has rules will automatically be defeated by combat with no rules.

I enjoy KM and take classes in Hong Kong and Beijing. Both are about what basic training will teach you but the key to KM or any self defense is to practice speed and muscle memory. Being around people to practice with is a big deal

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    First thing anyone need to learn in first world countries is

1. When attacked say out loud, Please do not make me defend myself.

2. On second attack say...I do not want to hurt you but I have to defend myself.

Anyone testifying that hears this automatically turns into your witness. My Personal record is 5/5 in court won. Speaking calmly and precisely is an indication you are under control and attempting to do the minimum to protect yourself. Judges typically look for this in domestic violence or assault cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    One quick note on Krav Magra,

If you are attacked and use Krav Magra the way most instruct you to in a street fight and wind up in court, you would be better off if you just pulled a pistol and shot the guy in the thigh....just sayin:-)

While the above is a stretch, I can not believe people sending their kids to Krav Magra classes.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information