Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Times Roman
  • 1 Post By Times Roman

Thread: Training for Boxing

fitizens_united is offline New Member

Training for Boxing

I just hung a 100 lb heavy bag in my garage that I got from an old friend and I wanted to start using it. I'm undecided on whether or not I'd ever be interested in actual sparring and fighting, but I would like to build up my endurance and punching power, if I ever wanted more than that I'd probably start going to the place down the street.

Are there any really good resources for drills and in-depth help on getting started? I don't know much about footwork or working the bag.

Also, should I be using this before or after my trips to the gym? I'm guessing after so that I don't fatigue any muscles before a workout.

Jgrizz is offline New Member
    As a boxer/MMA fighter I would suggest that you do this in place of cardio. Youtube has a few boxing footwork tutorials that are good.

Estoy is offline New Member
    Jgrizz,

I totally disagree with you.

A big big mistake that you can make is ''just box on the bag'' with super bad technique. Since your technique is very bad, you will create bad habits that are very very hard to ''unlearn''. In fact, you can better do another sport until you joined a real gym than just boxing on a heavybag at home(if your desire is to be a decent boxer, if you just want to do some cardio then hitting a heavybag with intervals can benefit you).

Punching power doesn't come from just hitting the bag, adding punching power comes from (Speed*Mass=Force), but also from TECHNIQUE. Forget hitting effective if your technique is poor, you will never be able to reach your max potential.

If your goal is to ONLY have cardio benefits(you stated different in the OP), then yes, just hit the bag but with intervals.

It is your choice, but I would not recommend just hitting the heavy bag because you definetly will create bad habits.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    IF YOU want to box, learn it from a boxing coach. learning on your own is like when I was a kid trying to learn martial arts out of a book when I was 9

until then, jump rope and get a speed bag
    j3374 likes this.

yettibecsuse is offline Associate Member
    Hit the bag enjoy it, use it as part of your training. If you enjoy it, and it makes you feel good, and you think you want to do more then find a coach. Boxing is one those sports where you really need a mentor, coach, and the competition; just ask my nose (haha) but even at 40 I still enjoy it and I started at 10; be careful you my get addicted

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I've been taking my daughter to the new boxing gym these last few weeks. She REALLY enjoys it, and I love watching her...

...you live through your children, and for about 4+ years, I was always down at the gym right after school for a few hours (Tae Kwon Do, not the same thing)

So watching my daughter is pleasurable for me, and it don't hurt they play all that good FUNK from the 70's while we are there! =)
    j3374 likes this.

j3374 is offline Associate Member
    I'd say, just give it a go. You already said that you know you have access to a place where you can get legitimate training if you decide you want to learn the actual sport for sparring or competing (it's great for self defense also).

I focused on boxing for a year and a half after I knew some basics from JKD and Muay Thai training. I didn't have great skills by amateur boxing standards, but ended up with great hands by amateur MMA and self defense standards, I guess. I was just fine with that skill level for my specific needs. If you're just wanting some cross training on the bag, why not?

Try focusing on one theme at a time and watch the youtube instructionals for that. One week, work on your punching mechanics. Another week, try out some head movement styles. Try footwork and level changing drills. If you're not competing, why worry about meeting a specific level of competence as you just start out?

Try the youtube channel, "expertboxing" for some really well explained basics. I like this channel myself.

davesah1 is offline Member
    I too would love to learn proper techniques from a cocah, well kickboxing since its more versatile in real life. Never wanted to commit to the cardio, just have wanted to have the tools under my belt and hope a few good hits is all I'll need for self defense. Not that people ever fvck me with but you never know.

davesah1 is offline Member

just saw this episode the other day. hahaha
    Be careful guys.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    check out ross boxing and ross training............just google mate.

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    Striking is all technique. All power comes from the hips whether you are kicking or punching. I 1000% agree ESTOY that if you start going full force with bad technique you are going to end up with tendonitis in your shoulders or elbows and your wrists are going to hurt. Also stay relaxed. People have a tendency to tense up when throwing and this causes injury and burns yo out faster. It was always a huge issue for me when sparring. I would tire out so fast cause I was not relaxed.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    I see a few things mentioned....

versitile in real life....

The number one best "real life" martial art in my opinion is aikido. None come close but if there was a second it would be arimis (stick fighting). Good luck landing a punch or a kick on an intermediate trained aikido person...not going to happen unless it is a sucker punch in the middle of a power failure.

ANYTHING will do over your drunk Joe Blow drinking next to you...it is the Marine you piss off you do not know is a Marine you need to worry about. If you think MMA is anything like a real life fight then here is an education. First week in any "security force" training (Military police, Marines etc) is about landing the first punch. Third week is aikido training (disarming and attack avoidance). MMA is based on a set of rules..there is no "you can't do that" or a ref to stop if you go limp...no tapping out. Next the most available weapon in the real world is a stick. Broom, Mop, table leg, etc. Also these weapons do not take striking power from the waist and legs. I can break your wrist with a 30% power downward motion and you lost 60% of your ability to fight..just from a stick.

In this world if you are going to be prepared and not carry a gun.... aikido and aramis are the go to tools.

Also you can self train about 40% of aramis due to the nature of the motions. You will never get good unless you are praticing day in and out but that is how it is with any "art". Aikido is no need to self train. You learn 70% of what there is to learn over 10-14 weeks....the rest is pratice in falling and redirecting. A lot of people diss Seagal over him being a chubb nugget now...check out his vids when he was just back from Japan after becoming a master. He can shut you down with two of your fingers only.

Audiofreak37 is offline Junior Member
    I boxed for a year or so, I'm no expert. I plan on going back sometime soon

Anyway, my trainer had an interesting concept when it came to training. He says explosive push, strong pull. When you look at the great old school boxers, they aren't benching heavy ass weight. Pattern overloads can really **** up your functionality. A tennis player doesn't go in the gym and mimic a swing, does he? Well he shouldn't, he should be training the reverse in the gym.

New boxers try to PUSH as explosively as possible, and sometimes add bands to further the response. A strong PULL is where you can add weight to your frame.
    Last edited by Audiofreak37; 08-17-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fitizens_united View Post
    I just hung a 100 lb heavy bag in my garage that I got from an old friend and I wanted to start using it. I'm undecided on whether or not I'd ever be interested in actual sparring and fighting, but I would like to build up my endurance and punching power, if I ever wanted more than that I'd probably start going to the place down the street.

Are there any really good resources for drills and in-depth help on getting started? I don't know much about footwork or working the bag.

Also, should I be using this before or after my trips to the gym? I'm guessing after so that I don't fatigue any muscles before a workout.

Take 2.5 lbs weights and practice combination with them to improve punching speed

ocman is offline Junior Member
    On youtube try, "expert boxing" channel, it's pretty good.

peace

fastman9 is offline Junior Member
    Learn correctly: TITLE BOXING - YouTube

yettibecsuse is offline Associate Member
    I box and spar/heavy bag/pad work before go to the gym; but this is because I am lazy and won't do the hard stuff last; if ur focus is resistance training you should train weights first. There are thousands of drills online but if your just starting out and you want to not to fight and your focus is increasing cardiovascular limits then always 3min on 30 sec break aim for 10 rounds increase volume of punches in one round and hit harder in another (for the 3min) even try sprints in between rounds; the hardest cardiovascular workout in boxing is actually sparring; take your time, build up intensity; most importantly let it rip and have fun

Fatburgler is offline New Member
    Fran Sands Myboxingcoach.com

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    A gym I used to go to had a couple heavy bags, I would use them after my workout for cardio. I never planned on becoming a boxer, just loved banging the bag. I did it for a while until I moved away, then hung a bag in my garage and would hit it once in a while. I would suggest getting some sort of wrist wrap at the beginning, I would turn my wrists over a lot when they would get tired. I ended up using an MMA style glove with a tensor strap for the wrist, worked pretty good. I had major bruising on my hands, and my calves felt like they were torn to shite from planting and driving through the hips. I enjoyed it, wish the gym I'm at now had some, I have planted the bug, maybe we will get a couple some day.

Thread Information