Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By nycdave
  • 1 Post By djgreen

Thread: Wrestled competitively my whole life until R. Shoulder(torn labrum/tore both Rot. Cuf

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries

Wrestled competitively my whole life until R. Shoulder(torn labrum/tore both Rot. Cuf

Hello to all,
    I've recently been thinkin of comin back on the wrestling/Greco Roman scene...

I'm Male; 30yrs old; 181lbs; BF% 8%(give/take .5%)

I tore my labrum(in half and in another 3 spots) due to a dislocated shoulder... Have had 3 surgeries w/screws and my own R. Biceps tendon to replace labrum ... This happened June 6 2000 in High school! Now I'm gonna need total reverse joint replacement! It took me forever to get back to where I'm at and def don't want to hinder that as I am a Personal Trainer as well ...

Any advice or opinions will be much appreciated, thank you!!

blake702 is offline Junior Member
    Man that's rough. Keep us updated on how it goes! it would be hard grapple without worrying about re-injury.

nycdave is offline Junior Member
    Man sorry to hear this. I just had rotator cuff surgery on May 5. Am back to close to normal strength in repaired shoulder. I'm 49, I worry that I may blow my shoulder out again after going through the lengthy rehab process. I'm sure you will feel the same way after replacement.

My only advice is to get guidance from a top sports medicine doc about wrestling post the surgery. I can recommend Chris Geary who heads sports medicine at Tufts in Boston and only does shoulder repair. Good luck with the process and pm me if I can help in any way.
    NACH3 likes this.

djgreen is offline Senior Member
    just be really careful bro I placed 2nd in states heavy weight in high school my senor year and made it to states every year except 2 in middle school and It sure can be rough on the shoulders im sure you already know. man that brings back good memories
    Last edited by djgreen; 08-17-2015 at 07:20 PM.
    NACH3 likes this.

infidel007 is offline New Member
    Yeah man, I totally understand. I'm 39 years old. I wrestled through hs and college then 10 years in mma. I've torn both biceps brachialis tendons at the shoulder, seperated both ac joints and torn deltoids and strained rotator cuffs dozens of times it seems. Wrestling has absolutely no mercy on shoulders, then start playing around with mma and joint locks. I took several years off. Just got back in the gym 5 months ago. The shoulders are definitely my biggest struggle. The ACL in my right knee is from a cadaver. Also from wrestling. Thars not an issue though. Good luck man.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Thx fellas - I've erred on the side of caution as my R shoulder from training True HIT has also put things in perspective much more... I'd rather stick to BBing and the more I train this way the more I realize we need to really cycle our training to be most effective... I pushed on too long w/out a pullback and I'm paying for it now - still on a long pullback to get RCs and posterior deltoid strengthened moreso! So... As much as I'd like to get back out there I don't want to risk injury and or hold anyone else back - doesn't seem fair at all - If I can get it much stronger I may reconsider, but ATM I'm focusing on my BBing!

Thx all for posting your experiences and injuries(as we all have em, unfortunately!

Thread Information