Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member

Dana sez: Poirier-McGregor III coming this summer

More evidence that UFC rankings are meaningless. McRapist is ranked #6 in a weight class with an absentee champion, so it's obvious that Dana is chasing the PPVs by bypassing fights to clarify the top of the division rankings by giving these guys their threepete.

And I'll bet my favorite coon dog that if Poirier beats him again, McRapist will retire from MMA. Again. Hopefully forever this time.
    Last edited by Beetlegeuse; 02-14-2021 at 01:10 AM.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Is this going to be for the belt?

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by redz View Post
    Is this going to be for the belt?
    I believe it is

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I don’t mind watching McGregor lose again it always brings me joy for some reason. I think McGregor is done winning any meaningful fights.

It remains to be seen how long Nurmagomedov can drag out his deliberation (as to whether to fight again) before Dana strips him of the belt. I don't see it happening so long as Khabib makes DW believe he might come back.

McGregor always will be a danger because a puncher always has a puncher's chance. But I don't think he would have ever become so (in)famous in the first place without the 13-second knockout over Aldo. That spectacular win -- and over such a credentialed fighter -- put him firmly on the map.

Unless you're fighting creampuffs you don't get many 13-second knockouts without considerable luck. But Aldo is a seriously well-rounded fighter; a 13-second knock-out over him takes a shit-ton of luck. In fact that's the onliest fight Aldo has ever lost in the first round.

In comparison, the man I would argue is the most ferocious puncher ever to lace up gloves -- Iron Mike Tyson -- only won eight of his 56 pro fights in the first minute of the first round, and none of them in less than 30 seconds.

And you'll note that Jose never got a rematch. Whenever McRapist loses he immediately starts boo-hoo-ing for a rematch. Where the fuck was Aldo's rematch? I agree redz, but Dana is still going to put him on the top of the marquee because every time McGregor is on the card, he makes enough to buy each of his three kids their own luxury automobile.

McGregor isn't getting the rematch out of any sense of "sportsmanship," or because he's a legitimate title contender, he's getting the rematch because the UFC will make the long green off it. I don't think Poirier-McGregor III will be a title fight, nor should it be. McGregor doesn't rate a title shot (then again, neither did Bisping when he took the title from Rockhold). But Dana knows that if McGregor lucks out and wins the title again, then so long as he can hold on to it, every defense of the belt probably will be good for 2+ million PPVs. At the current rate, that's what, $120 million in PPVs alone?

Hughinn is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    It remains to be seen how long Nurmagomedov can drag out his deliberation (as to whether to fight again) before Dana strips him of the belt. I don't see it happening so long as Khabib makes DW believe he might come back.

McGregor always will be a danger because a puncher always has a puncher's chance. But I don't think he would have ever become so (in)famous in the first place without the 13-second knockout over Aldo. That spectacular win -- and over such a credentialed fighter -- put him firmly on the map.

Unless you're fighting creampuffs you don't get many 13-second knockouts without considerable luck. But Aldo is a seriously well-rounded fighter; a 13-second knock-out over him takes a shit-ton of luck. In fact that's the onliest fight Aldo has ever lost in the first round.

In comparison, the man I would argue is the most ferocious puncher ever to lace up gloves -- Iron Mike Tyson -- only won eight of his 56 pro fights in the first minute of the first round, and none of them in less than 30 seconds.

And you'll note that Jose never got a rematch. Whenever McRapist loses he immediately starts boo-hoo-ing for a rematch. Where the fuck was Aldo's rematch? I agree redz, but Dana is still going to put him on the top of the marquee because every time McGregor is on the card, he makes enough to buy each of his three kids their own luxury automobile.

McGregor isn't getting the rematch out of any sense of "sportsmanship," or because he's a legitimate title contender, he's getting the rematch because the UFC will make the long green off it. I don't think Poirier-McGregor III will be a title fight, nor should it be. McGregor doesn't rate a title shot (then again, neither did Bisping when he took the title from Rockhold). But Dana knows that if McGregor lucks out and wins the title again, then so long as he can hold on to it, every defense of the belt probably will be good for 2+ million PPVs. At the current rate, that's what, $120 million in PPVs alone?
    I agree that mcgregor doesn't deserve a title fight.

But Dustin poirier does.

And a rematch with mcgregor is likely to play out the same way.

Nurmagomedov says Poirier deserves to be champ.

AwareXx is offline Junior Member
    It is interesting to hear all your thoughts on this. Great forum indeed.

Hughinn is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AwareXx View Post
    It is interesting to hear all your thoughts on this. Great forum indeed.
    My thoughts are the same as khabib.

Dustin poirier is the rightfully champ of the light weight division if khabib did retire. If not, the title is dustin vs khabib 2.

Dustin has recent wins over all of the top 5 except olivera. And has already offered to fight olivera for the title.
    There's nothing else he could do.

UFC 256, July 10, Sin City.

Nate Diaz viz Leon Edwards is also on the card. And for five rounds, the first time they've done five rounds on a fight that wasn't the main or co-main event.

Thread Information