Thread: CFL testing

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer

CFL testing

I need to know how frequent the cfl test their players

anyone?

wildbill5252 is offline Associate Member
    They prob test randomlyduring the yr, unless they have a sufficient reason to test someone specifically.

Vik
    Vik is offline Junior Member
    i've heard they don't do any testing what so ever...but i can check on that and get back to u.

yeah heard that too, they are too poor to test

YOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

cheque drop and halo here I come

Vik
    Vik is offline Junior Member
    i got a buddy who has been playing in the CFL for three years now and he told me that there is no drug testing.

wildbill5252 is offline Associate Member
    A professional sports league with no substance abuse policy seems strange too me.

JJEB2 is offline Member
    seems great to me. hahah

Quote Originally Posted by wildbill5252
    A professional sports league with no substance abuse policy seems strange too me.

if they start testing all players at 1000$ the test, they will be bankrupt after testing the punters

DoubleL is offline Junior Member
    Why the inquiry? Are you trying out for the CFL? I've been thinking about it to further delay my entry into real life.

Fullback57 is offline Associate Member
    Vanadoo: it is true.....as of right now, the CFL doesnt drug test anyone, as the cost associated with a drug testing program is huge. Do you remeber the OL Mike Mihalic?...he played with the Ti-Cats and is now with the Argo's...he was busted with his own AAS lab in his basement (granted heat was brought on because he was also growing dope and selling X) When that bust happend, the CFL talked about getting a program, but again money wise, it just isnt in the cards right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleL
    Why the inquiry? Are you trying out for the CFL? I've been thinking about it to further delay my entry into real life.

Supposed to, i was all pumped up in November, now I have better things to do that killing people on a football field.

its a 50/50 possibility now

liztic is offline Junior Member
    hate to break your heart playa, but the cfl tests fairly regularly...especially if youre in question. check it this way, everyone in there wants a shot a the nfl, so there's a crap load of rats that will break your ass faster than a chronic to a joint. expect to be tested in training camp for sure. that's where my buddy got caught. another friends said he's been tested twice, but team mates more regular

funny, i train with a SB from the Calgary Stampeders and he said they dont test.....

liztic is offline Junior Member
    i've got friends in saskatchewan/bc/ and toronto. primarily backups but they all said that testing is regular. also a given that its early season, couple time mid season, and not so frequent come play off time......but they say the rats are the worst

OKay then I need a twin brother to pee for me!

DRUGS IN THE CFL (8:56)

Various Locations: Steroid use is happening in the CFL. Retired stars like Glenn Kulka and Vince Danielsen say they saw players taking performance-enhancing and muscle building steroids all the time. Kulka admitted that as a tackle with the Saskatchewan Roughriders he took steroids. Kulka said they helped him work harder on the field and allowed him to recover quicker after games.

Steroids are illegal to sell in Canada but players say they are easy to find and cheap to buy. They are also dangerous. Pat Clayton, head physiotherapist with the Calgary Stampeders says they can cause players to tear muscles easier, dehydrate them, make them gain or lose weight wildly and, ultimately, shorten their careers. Steroid use has also been linked to heart and liver damage and even cancer.

HOWEVER, Around Feb 2004 there was a meeting in Edmonton, where Tom Wright met the player reps from around the league to try to get a testing program in place

Clayton is openly asking why the CFL doesn't have a drug policy when it comes to steroids. The CFL says it can't operate on rumour and needs teams or coaches to come forward and complain about the problem. Danielsen says he doubts that would happen because players are under a lot of pressure to perform. Players turn to drugs because they see results and they know they won't be caught.

Because it has no policy, there is also no testing for steroid use in the CFL. In the NFL, testing is done both yearly (at the start of the season) and randomly. A player caught can face up to 1 year suspension without pay. Steroids are also banned in university-level football in Canada. Players caught using drugs in school have successfully tried out for and made CFL teams.

Clayton hopes the CFL puts a policy in place. In the meantime, he says his best weapon against steroids is education. He tries to explain to athletes the serious and possibly deadly consequences of using steroids.
    Last edited by Fullback57; 02-11-2005 at 02:49 PM.

note to self: kill that journalist and clayton

DoubleL is offline Junior Member
    I know a coach who coached in the CFL for 25 years. There is no testing policy as far as I know. If there is it is new. I may also be trying out after my collegiate career.....assuming I get an invite which I should. We'll see. The AFL is also an option fer me.

100m champ is offline Member
    The Cfl has no steroid policy.. thats kind of odd since its a pro canadian football leauge, And since football is the most widespread in steroid abuse . I bet you more than half the players in the Cfl are juicing, since theres no testing you can do whatever you want in The Cfl. Get bigger,stronger,faster and not get cought for it.

wolf97 is offline New Member
    you are all wrong, sorry. the CFL does have testing on a random basis. as well, each team has their own testing policy. they only can test for a handful of AAS. Vandoo, if you are seriously considering making an attempt at the CFL, feel free to drop me an e-mail, i have both family and friends in the CFL who are players, coaching staff and admin. I'm in T.O.

Thread Information