Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Techniques

  1. #1
    3Vandoo's Avatar
    3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Bandit County
    Posts
    4,249

    Techniques

    Is that me or the level of technique and play in the NFL is now weak, I see players with no techniques, they go more for looks and how good they look instead of playing real football.

    No wonders, why kids destroy their football techniques when they immitate these guys.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    706
    Depends exactly what you are talking about. Mike Vrabel is one of the most fundamentally sound football players bar none. Plus he's a football genius. Coaches are even talking about him coaching after football and hes only been in the league 4 or 5 years.

    I agree it seems like they play for themselves. At the same time thats what pays the bills. Look at Keyshawn Johnson. He still gets paid and he's worthless compared to other WR's in the game. I have little respect for the showboat athletes. It all comes down to it's nothing about being a team player it's about getting paid the most and sometimes running your mouth or signing autographs during games is what it takes to get more attention.

  3. #3
    boistheman is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    290
    its all about the $$$$$...... T.O. is a prime example

  4. #4
    3Vandoo's Avatar
    3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Bandit County
    Posts
    4,249
    I mean in general the techniques of play in the NFL seem to be reduced to ****. Players not able to hold a ****ing football correctly, sheez did they forget the basic they learned when they were 6. Tackling is now ****, no one except a **** know how to perform a real tackle. Covering by DB is disgusting...

    it feels more like a fashion show than a football game.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Vandoo
    I mean in general the techniques of play in the NFL seem to be reduced to ****. Players not able to hold a ****ing football correctly, sheez did they forget the basic they learned when they were 6. Tackling is now ****, no one except a **** know how to perform a real tackle. Covering by DB is disgusting...

    it feels more like a fashion show than a football game.

    All about the money... They standout making a big hit instead of tackling him. He gets more attention. Fans want him out there. T.O...great player. ****ty attitude and very disrepectful. I see a lot of that in endzone dancing. Baseball was getting to the point of where it was impossible to pitch because of the strike zone was minimized...It's all about the fans. The amount of people that wanna see the game correctly to the amount that wanna see big plays is puny.

  6. #6
    3Vandoo's Avatar
    3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Bandit County
    Posts
    4,249
    "Don't sweat the technique"

    Seriously, the technical type of play in the NFL is totally crap and I can see it with young players imitating their "idols"

    - No hands on the ball

    - running with the football and playing with the football like its a ****ing toy

    - holding

    - cover is now crap

    - tackles doesnt exist anymore, its hit hign and fight(CRAPOID!!!!!!!!)

    - and ****ing Michael Vick, I cant stand him his wannabe ass, I hope he dies!


  7. #7
    LB55blitz's Avatar
    LB55blitz is offline Devote Avril Lavigne Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gettin lean wit it...
    Posts
    882
    it's a new type of game. a lot of it is for show and money, but hey, fans get to see what they want. im a falcons fan so i gotta like vick . he is a new breed of player and what he does is good enough to lead his team to a conference championship. i guess it all comes down to opinions. physically the players these days are more advanced, and thats hard to argue. with advances in medicine, training, nutrition, and other things that are obvious. it would be great to see a new breed team play an older team.

  8. #8
    3Vandoo's Avatar
    3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Bandit County
    Posts
    4,249
    Quote Originally Posted by LB55blitz
    it's a new type of game. a lot of it is for show and money, but hey, fans get to see what they want. im a falcons fan so i gotta like vick . he is a new breed of player and what he does is good enough to lead his team to a conference championship. i guess it all comes down to opinions. physically the players these days are more advanced, and thats hard to argue. with advances in medicine, training, nutrition, and other things that are obvious. it would be great to see a new breed team play an older team.
    the old team would win physically by toughness and discipline

  9. #9
    SickNasty's Avatar
    SickNasty is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    167
    ok seriously whats wrong with a big hit as long as he makes the tackle. I don't really know what you mean revievers in the nfl are recievers because they run clean quick routes and can catch, you dont make any sense a tackle is a tackle regardless if its high or low. I personally hate pro ball think its gay but i like to hit high and bust some heads

  10. #10
    Thedudex2000 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Land of the Ice and Snow
    Posts
    88
    In my opinion the players of today are bigger and stronger than the vast majority of players in the past. Aside from a scant few. It is true that technique has suffered because of the changes in the game, but i do believe the game of pro football is still the most exciting pro sport there is. Bar none. basketball is a bunch of 7 foot pussies standing around dunking, hockey is a joke, and the nuances of baseball are simple, another ****ing pitching change. Despite the drawbacks football whether today or yeteryear is the gretaest sport.

    dude

  11. #11
    3Vandoo's Avatar
    3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Bandit County
    Posts
    4,249
    Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty
    ok seriously whats wrong with a big hit as long as he makes the tackle. I don't really know what you mean revievers in the nfl are recievers because they run clean quick routes and can catch, you dont make any sense a tackle is a tackle regardless if its high or low. I personally hate pro ball think its gay but i like to hit high and bust some heads
    no a real proper tackle, a clean technical one will stop the player on the spot.

    you say a tackle is a tackle yes, okay you stop the opponent, but he will take yards and this is not acceptable, also hitting and tackling with no form = injury.

  12. #12
    JJEB2 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    776
    i will say as far as line play the techniques are far superior to previous years. the d line and o line just keep getting better ie locking out, moves and o line sitting back. the d lineman are getting faster then ever which is becoming a huge disadvantage to the offensive lineman. they are not getting back to their point of attack and getting beat off the ball. i see a lot of the corners unable to tackle ie putting their heads down or arm tackles. the offensive players are now getting bigger, faster, and stronger. i see guys missing tackles all the time but the level of play is at an all time high.

  13. #13
    skribbble is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Vandoo
    the old team would win physically by toughness and discipline
    I doubt it. The players today are just too fast. I would take speed over toughness and discipline anyday.

  14. #14
    3Vandoo's Avatar
    3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Bandit County
    Posts
    4,249
    Quote Originally Posted by skribbble
    I doubt it. The players today are just too fast. I would take speed over toughness and discipline anyday.

    from my experience, discipline makes you steady and win, speed is a factor that cannot be relevant to every plays unfortunately its a variable.

  15. #15
    Juggernaut's Avatar
    Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    6,545
    You can say the same thing about Basketball 3Van.

  16. #16
    skribbble is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    523
    Its easier to teach discipline then to make your team blazing fast

  17. #17
    SickNasty's Avatar
    SickNasty is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Vandoo
    no a real proper tackle, a clean technical one will stop the player on the spot.

    you say a tackle is a tackle yes, okay you stop the opponent, but he will take yards and this is not acceptable, also hitting and tackling with no form = injury.

    ok maybe we are not on the same page, a big hit drives the ball carrier back on his ass. I think of a big hit as head up(seeing the target) head on the ball, leading with the head and wrapping up with the arms and driving through the ball carrier.

    What does form have to do with injury, seriously your just babbling. I have never been hurt tackling someone hit them up a kid hit me low when I was cutting nice low form tackle, he jacked my knee up.

    If your discussing guys that look at the ground when they try to tackle they dont make tackles anyway because they cant see. I dont understand your reasoning.

  18. #18
    LB55blitz's Avatar
    LB55blitz is offline Devote Avril Lavigne Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gettin lean wit it...
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty
    ok maybe we are not on the same page, a big hit drives the ball carrier back on his ass. I think of a big hit as head up(seeing the target) head on the ball, leading with the head and wrapping up with the arms and driving through the ball carrier.

    What does form have to do with injury, seriously your just babbling. I have never been hurt tackling someone hit them up a kid hit me low when I was cutting nice low form tackle, he jacked my knee up.

    If your discussing guys that look at the ground when they try to tackle they dont make tackles anyway because they cant see. I dont understand your reasoning.
    Im in big favor of big hits, I believe that they add to the intensity of the game and can help the defender get inside the other players heads. Of course I cannot argue with the fact that the tackle being made should be the first concern.

    Sicknasty I believe you are in highschool from what I remember. Yes you can get away with bad form and high body shots in high school. But when if you go to the next level, lets say D1 ball for example. You will probably get hurt if your tackling form is not up to par. There's a big difference when your trying to go head on with a fullback weighing 260lbs that is very athletic. Hitting is on a completely different level.

    I can see how you may possibly disagree with 3Vandoo, but just keep in mind that vandoo has been there, done that. He's experienced and knows what he is talking about. I dont necessarily 100% agree with him being against big hits and what not, but thats just my opinion and I credit a lot of that due to the fact that I have grown up in more of the new-age football era. Either way, vandoo brings up some good points on how the game has changed.

  19. #19
    playa4933 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    164
    a huge hit is the most noticable thing in a game. I have ****ty form and have been working on it, there is no real high hits for me due to that all of the running backs on my team are short, husky, powerful workhorse type or runningbacks who run up the gut. I dont get the opportunity to practice with backs me height so i have to hit low. In the pros i dont see alot of low hits at all with proper form.

  20. #20
    SickNasty's Avatar
    SickNasty is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by LB55blitz
    Im in big favor of big hits, I believe that they add to the intensity of the game and can help the defender get inside the other players heads. Of course I cannot argue with the fact that the tackle being made should be the first concern.

    Sicknasty I believe you are in highschool from what I remember. Yes you can get away with bad form and high body shots in high school. But when if you go to the next level, lets say D1 ball for example. You will probably get hurt if your tackling form is not up to par. There's a big difference when your trying to go head on with a fullback weighing 260lbs that is very athletic. Hitting is on a completely different level.

    I can see how you may possibly disagree with 3Vandoo, but just keep in mind that vandoo has been there, done that. He's experienced and knows what he is talking about. I dont necessarily 100% agree with him being against big hits and what not, but thats just my opinion and I credit a lot of that due to the fact that I have grown up in more of the new-age football era. Either way, vandoo brings up some good points on how the game has changed.

    i very do agree with you on tackling a 260lb fullback, you have to go low but i see many people go too low and cut grass, they get side stepped or hurdled. I am walking on to a d-1 this fall and understand the type of talent I will be up against.

    You didn't catch me, I was agreeing with vandoo to a part a good tackle can also be a hard hitting one, is not head on ball and arms wrapping up and legs driving through a proper tackle.

  21. #21
    3Vandoo's Avatar
    3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Bandit County
    Posts
    4,249
    Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty
    ok maybe we are not on the same page, a big hit drives the ball carrier back on his ass. I think of a big hit as head up(seeing the target) head on the ball, leading with the head and wrapping up with the arms and driving through the ball carrier.

    What does form have to do with injury, seriously your just babbling. I have never been hurt tackling someone hit them up a kid hit me low when I was cutting nice low form tackle, he jacked my knee up.

    If your discussing guys that look at the ground when they try to tackle they dont make tackles anyway because they cant see. I dont understand your reasoning.

    You thinking as a player, im thinking as a coach so we cannot reason on the same page. An improper tackle "might" result in injury, because if not done properly in the "state of the art" then you are playing with the odds of possible injury.

    But big hits take the spots, yes, but gimme a big hit done properly and im happy, gimme the biggest hit on earth done ****ty and ill be pissed.

    Also, im not reffering about the grass cutters, look at the grass and grass you shall eat . But remember some years ago when Ken Norton Jr Tackle a TB from the Raiders and twisted the TB legs and it was a ****ed up injury with the bone sticking out, it was the ugliest badest tackle ever, he just jumped upfront from above put all his weigh on the player and twisted him. It was ugly.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •