clampitt is offline Junior Member

How To Become A Better Tackler?

i know you just gotta want it more and all that...BUt does any have any good tips to get better form and become a better overall linebacker/ TACKLER?

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by clampitt
    i know you just gotta want it more and all that...BUt does any have any good tips to get better form and become a better overall linebacker/ TACKLER?

Practice and in-game experience........ I played in high school and it was the first time I ever played....... I started my sophmore year. I couldn't hit / tackle for **** even though I was a fairly big guy..... basically the only thing that got me hitting harder and making more tackles was in-game experience and tons of practice. By my senior year I was one of the hardest hitting guys on the team and i wasn't even close to being the biggest..... what position do you play? I was a middle linebacker. There is no way I could play college though..... don't have the tallent.

YEAH....i am an undersized MLB..

But for some reason...this last year ( my senior year) i couldnt tackle for ****. I guess i could blame it on coaching and that we hardly ever practice tackling or drills or anything.. '

But i was a much better linebacker my junior year.. with about only half the muscle.

I take it you want to play college ball?

First thing always starts in the weight room,,,,,,,Lower Body strength and core strength is critical... Close grip bench is another essential.

Now the crazy part....Buy a helmet for yourself and practice by putting metal trash cans against a wall. Then back up 5 yards and smash em. with the helmet.....Face mask to can....I know it sounds crazy but it works......Hand and forearm strength is important as well......Try it, I swear you'll thank me.

JJEB2 is offline Member
    to be honest you have to keep a low center of gravity. keep ur head and eyes up. some people get hesitant and some try to explode through a person. i say always go full speed. watch the runners hips bc that is the main part of the body. i go head up into chest or helmet to helmet. if you watch ray lewis he tackles chest up but he is strong enough to do that. helmet to chest and thrust the hips. so cleans and plyos would be best to help explosion.

Helmet to Helmet???? In tackling?

I'v coached the game for 15+ and never heard that one....

JJEB2 is offline Member
    when i take on a fullback i take it on helmet to helmet and create seperation. u take it on with the inside shoulder so he cuts it in. really on tackling u want ur head to be on the ball. i have played football for 11 years and have been taught differently by many coaches.

Too true.....coaches coach differently.
    But, to add to your own statement about a "low center" of gravity, unless your attacking the hole at a FULL close at which you "react". Otherwise I prefer the High Tackle stand up for the first hit with additional hits to strip the ball. Or, to get lower than your opponent and thrust through the hips. I have seen many linebackers flatbacked by a fullback with a 5-7 yard head comin into the line and the backer end up lookin at sky. LOL I want separation coming off a block in whic case we would teach "hat and hands". I want my tacklers to A. Make sure of the tackle B. Make sure of the tackle. The problem with MOST high-school or JC players is that they DO NOT KNOW HOW to use the helmet properly and screw up their necks and backs.

SickNasty is offline Associate Member
    i missed 2 tackles my senior year, first thing first dont make it harder than it is...

i just lead with the head all the time, you smack them in the head and stops the feet solid. and then squeeze the arms around driving the legs to bring them down. we worked this as freshmen coming in with head up eyes on the target and pop! then we would actually have to lift them off the ground and then pile drive them driving the legs

sometimes if the are a big load people try to cut grass. or go to the knees, DONT EVER DO THIS if they are any kind of running back you will get embarrassed as they step over you or juke your ass, go helmet to helmet, eyes on their core,and get both arms around grabbing cloth and spin (crocodile death spin), it works every time disorients the runner and takes them off balance so they go down.

ALso if your facemask isnt getting bent your not doing it right.

yeah. i love going helmet to helmet. and i must be doing right since...at the end of the season, i could stick my fist through my facemask it was bent so bad.lol.

ChemDietMIC is offline Junior Member
    watch the hips, never stop driving the legs, get as low as possible with out losing your agility

chinups Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by clampitt
    Wall sits, I think these are important so you breakdown and keep your head up. Its like doing a squat but staying in the halfway pt with arms out and head up, stay as long as you could. That is if you are talking about open filed tackling

skribbble is offline Member
    Make your hips sick. Do everything you can to get sick hip strength. Also do balancing drills. I for one can stand on a yoga ball and squat on it. Then again my balance is nothing short of amazing. Not trying to brag but balance makes a ton of difference, that way when the back changes directions, you can use your balance to get heading in the opposite direction like he is.

playa4933 is offline Associate Member
    in middle school i was like praised for tackling starting with my arms behing me, then while im hitting the guy wrapping up. When i got to high school they thought that was **** so i tackled for **** the entire year. Now im supposed to hit with my hands close together at my chest, kinda like when some receivers line up how they have their hands. I am workin with power snatch, hang clean, **** like that for explosiveness. When you are down low about to hit a guy, and you explode into him from that position, he goes down hard.

Edit: my neck gets ****ed up, even when i hit the guy in the right possition, what kind of pad can i get to help this. Like a butterfly restrictor, roll, cowboy collar, which is best.
    Last edited by playa4933; 01-26-2005 at 05:42 PM.

butterfly looks the coolest thats what D. Johnson from U of Texas wore

ValleyLabel is offline New Member
    Its all about getting low and exploding up, back straight knees bent, after lots of practice you can do this at full speed. . . .Do lots of lower body workout power cleans will help and just get nasty about it

Thread Information