skribbble is offline Member

Retarded lifting program!

Im very upset at the moment. My college's lifting program blows ass. Im 100% sure that i could put together more effiecient lifting programs then they do. Bottom line here are a few things that make it retarded. Feel free to post what you guys think.

1. Training is always high reps. Targeting slow twitch muscles obviously becuase fast twitch muscles are fatigued after 10 seconds or about 6-8 reps max. The strength coach tried to tell me that fast twitch muscles were targeted after 12 REPS!!!!! I was Amazed at his lack of knowledge!

2. Everything is taken till failure! EVERYTHING! Every set of bench, every set of leg press everything! Ive always taken the last set to failure only on major lifts like this, but not every set!

3. No rest inbetween exercise and sets. I mean no rest! How are you supposed to get your creatine levels back up so you can get a glycogen flow to your fast twitch muscles!? You cant! They need at least 2-3 min rest to be ready for another set. COmplete BS

4. Workout never changes. If it does its about the same every 2-3 weeks or so. I mean come on who wouldnt get bored out of your mind?

5. No olympic lifts. Come on now its a top 25 division 1 program and they dont do olympic lifts?! What is wrong with that picture . When the strength coach was asked why there is no olympic lifts, he gave the reply "I dont do them to prevent injury." How would not doing them prevent injury? I can see if someone puts on 225lbs when they can only power clean 155 with good form get injured, but if you're being supervised and have on weight you can handle, olympic lifts should only prevent injury.

6. Leg press = favorite workout. BLAH! We dont play football sitting down, how is leg press supposed to be good? He tried to say taht leg press makes you faster... But everyset is taken until failure which almost always consists of 20 or more reps. Obviously targeting the slow twitch muscles. Keep in mind no rest between sets, they just take off 2 45 plates and make you go again right away with no rest!

7. Constant yelling from the coaches. Yes i know they should keep it under control and keep everyone focused, but vulgar quotes about someones mom becuase they cant get a 26th rep? How are you supposed to look forward to lifting?

8. Stretching or dynamic flexing before workout? Oh dont i wish they did that. My highschool team even always did that. *division 1 state champs 9 years out of 14*. Why woudl you attempt to lift if you didnt stretch out completely?

9. Punishment... Someone did dips wrong (oH god what an important exercise) The whole group has to go outside in the snow and push the sled and do pushups until they die. Great way to OVERTRAIN your athletes. Hmm overtraining leads to what... Injury, depression, loss of weight. THe list goes on and on.

10. No supplments at all. The team wont even let you take your own protein! Let alone a proper post workout shake ilke 2 scoops of whey, about 80grams of dex and 1 teaspoon of creatine like ive been taking. Although zma, hmb, are obviously LEGAL supplements to take in the ncaa, the team will not allow them. At least there is no way to check but still that is retarded.

Thats all i can think of at the moment. You guys know there is plently more Rants from me.

11. Machine squats. Team always does these. WHY? All i have read about them have led to bad news. Greatly limiting your natural range of motion and putting bad stress on your knees. Also doesnt target the hamstrings at all which are obviously the most important muscle (next to lower back) for being fast and getting faster.

LB55blitz is offline Devote Avril Lavigne Fan
    poor poor kid

JJEB2 is offline Member
    same way at my old school.

Quote Originally Posted by skribbble
    Im very upset at the moment. My college's lifting program blows ass. Im 100% sure that i could put together more effiecient lifting programs then they do. Bottom line here are a few things that make it retarded. Feel free to post what you guys think.

1. Training is always high reps. Targeting slow twitch muscles obviously becuase fast twitch muscles are fatigued after 10 seconds or about 6-8 reps max. The strength coach tried to tell me that fast twitch muscles were targeted after 12 REPS!!!!! I was Amazed at his lack of knowledge!

2. Everything is taken till failure! EVERYTHING! Every set of bench, every set of leg press everything! Ive always taken the last set to failure only on major lifts like this, but not every set!

3. No rest inbetween exercise and sets. I mean no rest! How are you supposed to get your creatine levels back up so you can get a glycogen flow to your fast twitch muscles!? You cant! They need at least 2-3 min rest to be ready for another set. COmplete BS

4. Workout never changes. If it does its about the same every 2-3 weeks or so. I mean come on who wouldnt get bored out of your mind?

5. No olympic lifts. Come on now its a top 25 division 1 program and they dont do olympic lifts?! What is wrong with that picture . When the strength coach was asked why there is no olympic lifts, he gave the reply "I dont do them to prevent injury." How would not doing them prevent injury? I can see if someone puts on 225lbs when they can only power clean 155 with good form get injured, but if you're being supervised and have on weight you can handle, olympic lifts should only prevent injury.

6. Leg press = favorite workout. BLAH! We dont play football sitting down, how is leg press supposed to be good? He tried to say taht leg press makes you faster... But everyset is taken until failure which almost always consists of 20 or more reps. Obviously targeting the slow twitch muscles. Keep in mind no rest between sets, they just take off 2 45 plates and make you go again right away with no rest!

7. Constant yelling from the coaches. Yes i know they should keep it under control and keep everyone focused, but vulgar quotes about someones mom becuase they cant get a 26th rep? How are you supposed to look forward to lifting?

8. Stretching or dynamic flexing before workout? Oh dont i wish they did that. My highschool team even always did that. *division 1 state champs 9 years out of 14*. Why woudl you attempt to lift if you didnt stretch out completely?

9. Punishment... Someone did dips wrong (oH god what an important exercise) The whole group has to go outside in the snow and push the sled and do pushups until they die. Great way to OVERTRAIN your athletes. Hmm overtraining leads to what... Injury, depression, loss of weight. THe list goes on and on.

10. No supplments at all. The team wont even let you take your own protein! Let alone a proper post workout shake ilke 2 scoops of whey, about 80grams of dex and 1 teaspoon of creatine like ive been taking. Although zma, hmb, are obviously LEGAL supplements to take in the ncaa, the team will not allow them. At least there is no way to check but still that is retarded.

Thats all i can think of at the moment. You guys know there is plently more Rants from me.
    Some things to think about:

1. Training at high reps at this time of the year can help build muscular endurance.
    2. Same answer
    3. Same Answer
    4. Bummer
    5. A great deal of NFL players would say that you are LUCKY to have a smart
    coach! These "olympic" lifts are hard on the back and knees. These body parts will take a beating during the season.(my best buddy has 2 Superbowl rings would tell you to NEVER do olympic lifts). But hell, he has really enjoyed all the damage done to his body due to some STUPID coaching.
    6. Again many D1 programs and NFL programs this is their favorite lift.
    7. Not good motivation to be sure.
    8. Many studies show that stretching prior to work-outs does jack-****. The ONLY stretch that works is a 30 second hold for at least 3 reps per muscle.
    You figure out how much time that takes!!!!Better on your own anyway.
    9. Would rather see the coaches correct the lifts than punish.
    10. can you say LIABILITY. If they promote any of the Supps and an athlete gets injured the school will then be open to a lawsuit! Sad but true.
    You as an athlete should take care of this yourself anyway.

These are just thoughts. I will not debate the points. Take it for what it is.....Just thoughts. I am curretnly training a local High School team in Strength and Conditioning. I am not saying I agree or disagree with anything. Just some things for you to contemplate. They are building a football team not a powerlifting team. I will say they DO have room for improvement, that's fer sure

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    sounds like Michigan

LB55blitz is offline Devote Avril Lavigne Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Vandoo
    sounds like Michigan
    seriously?!

no he doesnt go to michigan.

but i have been to camps at u of m. extremely impressed with their progran abd every aspect of it. theres a reason they win the big 10 most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMondodondo
    Some things to think about:

1. Training at high reps at this time of the year can help build muscular endurance.
    2. Same answer
    3. Same Answer
    4. Bummer
    5. A great deal of NFL players would say that you are LUCKY to have a smart
    coach! These "olympic" lifts are hard on the back and knees. These body parts will take a beating during the season.(my best buddy has 2 Superbowl rings would tell you to NEVER do olympic lifts). But hell, he has really enjoyed all the damage done to his body due to some STUPID coaching.
    6. Again many D1 programs and NFL programs this is their favorite lift.
    7. Not good motivation to be sure.
    8. Many studies show that stretching prior to work-outs does jack-****. The ONLY stretch that works is a 30 second hold for at least 3 reps per muscle.
    You figure out how much time that takes!!!!Better on your own anyway.
    9. Would rather see the coaches correct the lifts than punish.
    10. can you say LIABILITY. If they promote any of the Supps and an athlete gets injured the school will then be open to a lawsuit! Sad but true.
    You as an athlete should take care of this yourself anyway.

These are just thoughts. I will not debate the points. Take it for what it is.....Just thoughts. I am curretnly training a local High School team in Strength and Conditioning. I am not saying I agree or disagree with anything. Just some things for you to contemplate. They are building a football team not a powerlifting team. I will say they DO have room for improvement, that's fer sure
    In response to clear things up.
    1. Well yeah during this year it would be good. It is done all year round here though. We're not training to run a mile, we're training to run a sprint of 10 seconds MAX in a game.

2. I wouldnt fail my muscles on every set. Next time you lift, you're going to remmber FAILING at a weight. I would rather remmber Succeeding at a specific weight.

3. No rest... Yes can build endurance, but after a month or so of endurance training you dont need it anymore. Maybe a week or so every other month but not consitantly like this everytime you lift. A 2-3 min rest would be much more beneficial so you're as close to 100% as you can be when you do your next set.

4. Yup bummer lol. I just wished they would get creative.

5. Id say olympic lifts are a must. Light weight that you can handle wont hurt you. As long as you increase the weight and are able to maintain good form you wont get hurt. If you can do 175 with perfect form, but can only do 205 with decent form. It would just be wise to stick with the lower weight and make sure you have perfect form. When you do olympic lifts you're training your body for unnatural movements which will make certain ligaments stronger. I would see that on the field, you're going to experience certain movements that are not natural. Training the unnatural with oly lifts seems to me like it would be more beneficial in injury prevention.

6. It can be there favorite workout, but its stupid. Sitting down, football? Come on. Specially with high reps. Why train slow twitch muscles? Why go for as many reps as you can? There is a point that you do it so much you can actually change fast twitch muscles over to slow twitch muscles. Ill be ****ed if a division 1 college program makes me lose a step in my 40.

7. agree

8. Warm up to prevent injury? I have also read reports that it doesnt do anything but then again i have read reports where people have reported large increases in strength due to a 5-10 minute warm up. Me personally when im not stretched im a terrible athlete. Stretched out though, nobody can stop me. I hate feeling tight.

9. Yes correct lifts. No reason to punish, people will be afraid to do an exercise im sure. Always 2nd guessing their form and im sure will just change their form so many times over and over because they do not knw what is right or wrong. No reason to punish by running or something, you would just over train your athletes and you can research overtraining and see that it is definatly horrible.

10. Im not saying they should give us sups but not tell us we arnt allowed to. Everyone is over 18 years of age.

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by LB55blitz
    seriously?!

no he doesnt go to michigan.

but i have been to camps at u of m. extremely impressed with their progran abd every aspect of it. theres a reason they win the big 10 most of the time.

sounds similar, I have 3 friends that went to Mich that is what they reported.

Well like I said I'm not gonna debate. Good luck to you.

BTW keep those Olympic lifts up throughout your football carrer and keep my PM handy, as I know one of the top spine surgeons in the country that will fix you when you do eventually screw that back up. Unless of course you have incredible genetics.

Peace out.

thanks! yeah chiropracter has had my attendance before

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    Now, that (#7) was funny. Apprently, these coaches have a military background.

If you feel strongly about this, then send an email to your coach. In it, write exactly what you wrote in the first post. Put the coaches full name in the subject line so he knows that it was meant for him and doesn't mistake it for spam.

If you don't know his email address, mail a letter to his department.

It might not make him change everything, but it might make him rethink a few things.

OR...just walk up to him and tell him face to face in his office when you and he are alone--so that you're not putting him on the offense in front of his or your colleagues.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by BASK8KACE; 02-24-2005 at 04:47 PM.

After driving home and preparing for my work-out I do have to admit that I do have my boys do quite a bit of strength work as well as speed work.

Well as I said good Luck, I'm off to do front squats, and quads!

football65 is offline New Member
    Our Program is basically same thing as Colgate (if anyone is familiar with it). We share the same principles etc since our S&C coach interned there for like 4 years, so its all the same stuff. Its a lot of olympic lifts- cleans, snatches, power presses,etc and squats (both back and front). There isn't all that much emphasis on bench press (as in go heavy - 3 reps and under), we test in hang clean and squat. I like the program, ive gotten good results off of it in my first season of college. Its all about free weights, we only have a few selective machines (lat pulley, bear squat, jammer extensions, neck machine).
    Last edited by football65; 02-24-2005 at 09:59 PM.

football65 is offline New Member
    btw - sounds like penn state you described

z-overcome is offline New Member
    doesnt sound like a michigan at all

late ass bump i know, but im writing a paper on this topic and needed to find it hahaha

truck is offline New Member
    I agree and disagree with your Ideas. Basicly its up to you what you like and dislike, to each his own. I quit doing power cleans and all other olympic lifts. Didn't stop me from growing or getting stronger. Leg press for me Is about the best lift in the universe easy on the knees and they make my legs grow like trees and the overall leg power I have is pretty good, especially after 5 knee surgeries. Lifting to falure all the time I agree is stupid, but good for a short period of time. This is why i like the summer and my coach. as a team we only lift for 2 months together then we are on our own to lift and then we do speed and agility work outs together from then on. As long a you lift and keep lifting you'll get bigger, faster stronger no matter the movement as long as you are hitting the eccential muscle groups. Lifting and running doesn't make a good football player, they can only make a good football player better.

keith hackney is offline Associate Member
    thats a bummer man. you know its ****ed up when they have everyone on the team training the exact same way.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    olympic lifts rule

Quote Originally Posted by truck
    I agree and disagree with your Ideas. Basicly its up to you what you like and dislike, to each his own. I quit doing power cleans and all other olympic lifts. Didn't stop me from growing or getting stronger. Leg press for me Is about the best lift in the universe easy on the knees and they make my legs grow like trees and the overall leg power I have is pretty good, especially after 5 knee surgeries. Lifting to falure all the time I agree is stupid, but good for a short period of time. This is why i like the summer and my coach. as a team we only lift for 2 months together then we are on our own to lift and then we do speed and agility work outs together from then on. As long a you lift and keep lifting you'll get bigger, faster stronger no matter the movement as long as you are hitting the eccential muscle groups. Lifting and running doesn't make a good football player, they can only make a good football player better.
    training like this can make fast twitch muscle fibers convert into slow twitch muscle fibers aka making u slower and less explosive. Speed is the name of the game. So no you wont get faster lifting like this. Everyone i have talked to gained .2 on their forty after coming to the school. Yeah it will make u bigger but in alot of cases everyone also gets weaker on this program. Training for size and training for strength and speed are generally very different approaches with the training philosophy.

JJEB2 is offline Member
    training like this can make fast twitch muscle fibers convert into slow twitch muscle fibers aka making u slower and less explosive. Speed is the name of the game. So no you wont get faster lifting like this. Everyone i have talked to gained .2 on their forty after coming to the school. Yeah it will make u bigger but in alot of cases everyone also gets weaker on this program. Training for size and training for strength and speed are generally very different approaches with the training philosophy.
    you have a certain amount of fast twitch slow twitch fibers in your body. its not making on turn into another kind. it is predetermined through gentics and how you utilize these fiber types. you cant make slow twitch fibers all of a sudden turn into fast twitch fibers through explosive lifting. its taking the fast twitch fibers you already have and utilizing them to their full potential through proper training.

truck is offline New Member
    I totally agree but don't forger your muscle have to last the whole game not 10plays. Every workout we had for 2 month simulated a game on leg days over 300 reps total on legs. Insane Yes, but in the long run makes you hella strong and ready to last the whole game.

bball_playa is offline Associate Member
    i felt the same in college. they felt if they killed us that would be the best way to make us huge. i never got huge only worn out

Thread Information