scrapakilla is offline Associate Member

question about walkin on

I am currently graduating high school and played in north florida against some of the best competition in high school ball. I played linebacker and was a standout but was only 6 foot 180. I am currently 6 foot 190 with my stats
    40-4.6
    shuttle-4.6
    bench-325
    squat-425
    clean jerk- 225
    dead-450
    i dont know my vertical but i can dunk a basketball so i believe its pretty descent.
    These numbers are very accurate, even though my size i believe i make it up with my strenght, as i was pound for pound the strongest on my team and overall with the exception of a few lineman. I am all natural and have a great diet i got from the boards, and am currently training hard.
    If i can get my 40 to about 4.55 shuttle at about 4.4 bench to go about 350 squat 500, clean and jerk to 300 dead to over 500. and my weight to about 215, you think i can walk on to a d1 school. Im not lookin to start right away my short term goal is to make the team. Also the team i am lookin to make is not what you would call a top 25 school but none the less they are d1a. I am not goin to be able to walk on until abotu 9 months from now, and the reason i wrote these numbers is because i believe they are all obtainable goals if i keep up my training regimen. My pro shuttle isnt where it should be but to be honest ive only been training with it for a little over a week so i believe i will get to 4.4 or better. By the way im gonna go out for strong safety, i hit like a linebacker but to be honest i just dont have the build to be a 235 plus type of guy. I am 190 and am pretty jacked to begin with so 215 is about is big as i think i can get for now .

Please give me some feedback positive ot negative i wont get mad. thanks

skribbble is offline Member
    215 and fast as hell would be fine. Ever think of playing strong safety? Div1a school should be easy to walk on at. Pretty much if you're fast they will take a chance with you. As for your shuttle, im sureu have bad form with it which is why its so slow. Learn the form and learn how to lean and stuff and im sure you will do alot better. I have a friend that runs a 4.98 in the 40 but his shuttle is a 4.0 and hes only 6'2"

Ravi is offline Junior Member
    Where are you going to try to walk on at? FSU?

He says the team is not a top 25 team

cdogge is offline Associate Member
    Hey bro, Honestly I think most of the players are natural size if you know what I mean...Yeah you can gain the weight but you probably won't be the same athlete as you were....It sounds like you would make a good Strong S or Free S..And if you can catch then a wide out...

ucf, so its not liek they have top guys comin in anyways, they were 0-10 i just dont want my football career to end. Also i never played s safety, and im remindin u i am not at any of these numbers yet, but i honestly know that i will be because i work very hard and am dedicated, and my diet is very good. im glad to here positve feedback from you guys it sure helps

football65 is offline New Member
    numbers look good; is that handtimes or electronic? keep working on those cleans and squats and work on that shuttle. Im suprised youre not getting recruited anywhere considering those #'s and being a standout in florida. Send tape out, make contacts, more important talk to your high school coach. The shuttle is also about technique, i have shitty technique and i ran a 4.76 electronic so im looking to run around a 4.5 in august when we test again (6'5 300lb OT)

thats pretty impressive, no those are hand times id love to fuid a place to do it electronically i guess im just gonna have to wait till tryouts, but i know my 40 is close to accurate because i ahve raced kids who have been times electronically. I dont know about the shuttle though but i slip and stuff while i am doin it so hopefully with practice ill be able to nail come tryout time.

keithquig is offline Associate Member
    i really belive that what coaches really look at for walk ons is their drive and work ethic bc really all the walk ons are ussually scout teamers. and if u have some skills then u might have a chance of actually playing....did u not get any offers to go play at any small school or JCs
    Last edited by keithquig; 05-06-2005 at 07:46 AM.

I did but i have decided to go to the best school i can academically. And if i can play ball there then that will just make it even better but i was not willing to sacrifice my education to play ball. Also if what you say is true then i should be alright cause i get up every time if you know what i mean and i give it full speed every play, and i got the skill and ill be happy with the scout team i still get pads, thats the way i look at it.

You can def go to better academic schools, there are a ton of 1-AA schools that are top schools and good football. What kind of grades you have in HS? I was getting recruited pretty high in the IVY with just a 1160 SAT and 84 average.

well i didnt get any offers from any schools better then ucf, not sayin that ucf is great academic school casue its not. It is defintily a respectable university though and i was looking for a large campus atmosphere and its in state there were other factors too but walkin on is gona be my best option. i wish i could have had some ivy league offers i would have takin them in a second did you send them tapes or did they come after you

Many schools called me/visited me but i sent tape out to a good amount of schools. If schools arent calling you and you know you can play start sending out tape.

also: i know what you mean, i didnt get offered a full scholarship or anything, im at 1-AA right now but its not full scholarship football; it will be in a few years.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    UCF may of been 0-10 last year, but they have recruited fairly well from what I have seen and heard... good luck though, anything is obtainable if wanted badly enough!

dmcf99 is offline Junior Member
    your shuttle needs work, try to get to around the 4.0-4.2 range and you'll be set.... try and work on ur clean too. oh and no f**king way could u ever play linebacker in college...even d1-aa, not to be an ass or anything, but be real man, i entered my first year of college as a corner at 6'2", 205lbs

keithquig is offline Associate Member
    this kid got signed by ucf hes about ur size cory hogue is his name http://ucf.rivals.com/viewprospect.a...1&pr_key=26663
    they also signed 8 LBs
    Last edited by keithquig; 05-08-2005 at 01:15 PM.

i know, thats why im gonna try to play safety cause my size, and i noticed how many lbs they signed. I think id be better if my coach let me play there to begin with but they wanted me at lb cause my strenght and my hitting ability. they put like a light quick kid at safety but i make real good angle tackles so i think the transistion wil be natural for me. But honestly im just shootin for the scout team, and if i dont make it there is always next year, and ill jsut train harder. But my attitude and discipline is too good for me not to make it but you never know

2davidbostonjr1 is offline Junior Member
    have u talked to any coaches at ucf email them and try to get in touch the head coach is a aass hole just to give u a heads up but go to ucfs website get ur positions coach number and email and try to give him info and let him know u want to walk on and get feed back shit u might even get a summer work out if u send them film and they like it. but u have to reamber college isnt just a number game if it was i woulda went to USC, number are a big part but preformce is the biggest they want someone who can come in and step up and do something they look at a ton of little things foot work and everything if i was u i woulda been looking into juco shools i went to a d3 school cause it was close to my home town and they took care of me finicaly i went there for a year a figured out that i could play at a higher level now im at a d1aa school. just keep working hard and try and contact the coach if u wana "walk on" aka pratice tackling dummy or play u will beable to walk on there easy u just need to prove to them u want to be more then a walk on ur ur be stuck getting lit up for the next 4 years.

speedtraining is offline Senior Member
    Don't walk on bro I've seen walk-on's they get pushed over no matter how hard they work...it will be a waste of your time, a scholarship player can make a million mistakes and they still wont give you a shot.

between my lifting and my speed training i am finding it hard to take a day off. Do you guys find this bad. The only way i can take a day off is if i make it into an 8 day split and alternate days every week which would be a pain in the ass. So anyone think it would hurt my gains if i never have a flat out rest day. I lift 4x per week and run agilities and sprints 3 times, thanks.

speedtraining is offline Senior Member
    you need a break...and I don't see why you can't run and lift on the same days..listen to your body if you feel run down take a day off if you don't then don't

Quote Originally Posted by scrapakilla
    between my lifting and my speed training i am finding it hard to take a day off. Do you guys find this bad. The only way i can take a day off is if i make it into an 8 day split and alternate days every week which would be a pain in the ass. So anyone think it would hurt my gains if i never have a flat out rest day. I lift 4x per week and run agilities and sprints 3 times, thanks.
    overkill. Lift 3 days and run 2. Rest = more important or else you wont even get near your full gains from each lift. Lift monday wensday and friday, Run on tuesday and thursday. Saturday do some kind of active rest, hit up a tredmill for 30-45 minutes or just go run around and toss a football around. Sunday = nothing, stretch and eat well and take it absolutly easy... NEVER NEVER NEVER RUn and lift on the same day! RUnning before you lift will kill your lift. Running after you lift will starve your muscles. If you want a 12 week workout pm me and ill set you up one and we can take care of payment. I personally ran a 4.48 and 6 weeks later ran a 4.38 from this workout. I get stronger each week, put on 6 reps to my 225, the gains are just unbelieveable.

Thread Information