CRUISECONTROL is offline Post Whore Extraordinaire Cruising On Autopilot

Decreasing 40 time!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it possible for a person who's stats are 6'3" 235 lbs currently running 5.0 to 4.9 in the 40 yard dash to be able to lower time down to 4.6 or lower without comprising size.........

What would be some exercises or other recommendations...............

The question proposed is for my little brother 19 yrs old...........Plays football for a division 1a school and needing to lower his 40 time to be more competitive.........

SprinterOne is offline Senior Member
    Well, considering TO is 6'3, 226 I am going to go out on a limb and say yes, you can lower his 40. Seriously though, his 40 should be able to go down quite a bit, and if he is gonna play pro probably will need to.

I would have him do explosive lifts (power cleans, power snatches, squats, deads, bench, jerks, etc.). As he gets stronger you can add in plyometrics. He also needs to be sprinting. He needs to do very short acceleration runs (5-10y), middle speed runs (15-40y) and longer endurance runs (50-150y) all at 95% or higher of his max. Also, as he gets closer to his 40 timing day I would practice starting technique and do some starting runs. On his non-sprinting days he can do some skill work at a light pace (75% speed).

As for the program, I prefer a short to long approach. The intensity should always be >95% or <75%. Depending on the length of time you have to improve it would determine how you periodize everything. But basically the goal should be to start with less yards (but keep the intensity in the correct ranges) and peak the yardage. Then you bring him back down and taper him just before his 40 time.

TheNextBigThing is offline Associate Member
    Yes it is possible, I am considerably larger than your brother. I used to run a 5.3 two years ago and now I run between a 4.9 and 5.0 (I actually weigh more now than I did then). Tell him to run hard and don't screw around with leg lifts. I didn't do anything differently, other than running and lifting harder. If he is at a D1 school, his strength coach knows what he is doing and he should be giving him the proper workouts. Just tell him to work hard and the speed will come.

Thanks guys, I'll do as ya'll recommended......Unfortunatly he got the size and I got the speed (mid 4.3s)........... I worked with him through HS and dropped his time from a 5.6 as a freshman to a 5.0 as a senior............ I seemed as if we hit a stopping point at 5.0............ He's doing well but I think his speed is definitly holding him back..........

Thanks for the advice I'll keep you posted

Oh yeah what kind of time frame should we expect doing the proper workout routines as listed above?

SprinterOne is offline Senior Member
    What do you mean by time frame? Like how long the workouts will take?

chest6 is offline Banned
    I think hes talking how long until 4.6..prolly a long ass time

TestTubeBaby is offline Associate Member
    40s dont require as much speed as they do acceleration and quickness. work on oly lifts, plyos, rope ladders for quickness, and some running form drills. tweaking his form could never hurt i.e. lengthening stride etc.

Bobcat50 is offline New Member
    something else to work on would be your stance and start. two very easy ways to drop some time off your 40 without doing anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by SprinterOne
    What do you mean by time frame? Like how long the workouts will take?
    Sorry I meant time frame to drop his forty to where it needs to be

Quote Originally Posted by TestTubeBaby
    40s dont require as much speed as they do acceleration and quickness. work on oly lifts, plyos, rope ladders for quickness, and some running form drills. tweaking his form could never hurt i.e. lengthening stride etc.

I worked on his form in HS and that definitly helped

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    I think hes talking how long until 4.6..prolly a long ass time
    Your right chest but hopefully not too long

TheNextBigThing is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUISECONTROL
    Sorry I meant time frame to drop his forty to where it needs to be
    To be honest, I couldn't tell you. It took me somewhere between a year and two years to drop my times a considerable amount. Of course I didn't train properly all the time. I would say that he needs at least the better portion of the school year.

skribbble is offline Member
    Your right chest but hopefully not too long

I could do it in 12 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by skribbble
    I could do it in 12 weeks.
    Are you special or is this possible for anyone to go from 4.9 to 4.6 in 12 weeks

JJEB2 is offline Member
    anyone can with the right workout. ie lifting, stretching, forms, speed training and plyos.

HUGE GUY is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJEB2
    anyone can with the right workout. ie lifting, stretching, forms, speed training and plyos.
    Well, someone in my situation couldn't. I am 6'4" and 315lbs and run a 4.9-5.0...there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to get down to a 4.6...

Thanks for the replies

Are you special or is this possible for anyone to go from 4.9 to 4.6 in 12 weeks
    Its possible if i trained them. Ive done it with alot of people. 4.8's to 4.5's in about 12 weeks max. Just got one guy from a 5.3 to a 4.92 in 6 weeks

JJEB2 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HUGE GUY
    Well, someone in my situation couldn't. I am 6'4" and 315lbs and run a 4.9-5.0...there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to get down to a 4.6...
    if you lost some weight and lost some bodyfat then it is very possible. you have long legs which can benfit you. i dont see you running a 4.5 but decreasing your time is possible i would say down to a 4.7 which is very good for someone at your size.

Bmatt618 is offline New Member
    What is a good time for an NFL wide reciever to run the 40???

JJEB2 is offline Member
    a good time 4.45 is what most nfl wr's run. here ar ethe elite ones that run 4.3. this is all done electric not hand timed

meat skillet is offline New Member
    being that size running a 4.6 is typical D1 level OLB. I use to play for Navy and ran a 4.75 and i am 6'5 235. its possible to decrease your time with just a little adjustment to your form. your technique has a lot to do with it as well as your starts. practice at least 100 starts (10 yard max) every other day.

100m champ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meat skillet
    being that size running a 4.6 is typical D1 level OLB. I use to play for Navy and ran a 4.75 and i am 6'5 235. its possible to decrease your time with just a little adjustment to your form. your technique has a lot to do with it as well as your starts. practice at least 100 starts (10 yard max) every other day.
    Small changes can make a differnce in your run, such as pumping your arms alot more

freedomfighter06 is offline New Member
    I am 6ft5 and at 263 ran a 4.784. I do alot of weighted power movements. Lunges, flexor reps, jumpings squats. Tell him to strengthen and stretch his legs. Tie a rope to his waist and the other end to an old tire. Make him run 5 40's a day EOD like that for 2 weeks. Then 1 off and repeat. Also make sure his start off is good. Proper technique is key.

FF06

dans is offline Junior Member
    It's all about training and getting with a good speed coach.

Hamstrings and calves, Hams are very important, flexibility and learning how to run loosely.

lower back is important too

junit37 is offline Junior Member
    The #1 thing that can increase speed is core. If you don't have a strong core, you will not be abe to get faster. Another thing to consider is what position does he want to play. If he is that big at 19 I would assume that he will gain weight with maturity. All this is relative to your goal of 4.6. If he only runs a 5.0 at his weight, he definitely isn't strong in the right areas. And will not be able to handle an increased body weight in the future without proper strength training. I agree with some of the others, power lifts are essential. However, make sure he has proper form otherwise counterproductive.

Thread Information