Thread: Power Clean

fballhoss51 is offline Senior Member

Power Clean

guys, i want a high power clean, and im ****in terrible lol, i just started back up after not doing htem for 2 years, (started back up like 2 months ago) and my clean is at 250, now i used to drop and front squat tha bar back up, but now im havin trouble doing that

could someone give me pointers on lets say "the perfect clean"

HUGE GUY is offline New Member
    I don't know about everyone, but some things that I had trouble with right when I started using them:

-keep the bar as close to your body throughout the movement as possible
    -start the bar up with a shrug and jump, not your arms
    -drop as far under the bar as possible, you may have to practice with a super light weight to do this right
    -during the "catch" part, try to keep your elbows up as high as possible

...hope that helps a little.

SprinterOne is offline Senior Member
    250 is terrible? How much do you weigh?

i weigh 205, my friend who weighs 190 cleans 295, id like to get my clean to 315+, im sure it will eventually get there but id like to get it there w/o gaining lots of weight so my clean will be high b/c of my power not b/c of my weight, my clean 2 years ago was 250 and i weighed 180 so i kno i can get it up there

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fballhoss51
    i weigh 205, my friend who weighs 190 cleans 295, id like to get my clean to 315+, im sure it will eventually get there but id like to get it there w/o gaining lots of weight so my clean will be high b/c of my power not b/c of my weight, my clean 2 years ago was 250 and i weighed 180 so i kno i can get it up there
    your right it has mostly to do with speed...work on dropping under it and work on bar speed

I'm confused, are you doing a power clean or a clean? You can lift a lot more weight doing a clean then a power clean due to the distance the bar has to travel.

clean = power clean
    hang clean is tha one that isnt from tha floor

Yes, a hang clean is not from the floor but a power clean and a clean are different. A clean is when you squat to the bottom when you catch the bar, the power version you use a quarter to half squat during the catch. Thus, the bar travels less distance in the clean version therefore more weight can be lifted. So, are you talking about power cleans or cleans?

basically, get tha bar to ur neck and hold it there for 1 second and that is my clean lol, if i can do more weight squating to tha floor then ill do that if half squating will do it then i will do that

Are you actually racking the bar on your shoulders? You really shouldn't need to hold the bar much with your arms if you are racking it properly. And yes, squatting to the floor will allow more weight to be lifted ASSUMING you get under the bar as quick as possible. The key is to lift the bar over the smallest possible distance.

Here is a description of the clean and jerk. You can ommit the jerk part of the lift.

http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/simonton/wl/cj.html

o ye i got tha racking part down easy, just getting it on my shoulders is tha problem, its probably just gonna take me some practice and time to get used to squatting again...b/c it is a bitch

lineclogger is offline New Member
    lol at my old highschool we use to not drop under the bar (so we'd stand straight up) i think the school record was 210 haha yea i wish i had known the tec. on how to do it properly before i graduated
    Last edited by lineclogger; 08-07-2005 at 12:09 AM.

JJEB2 is offline Member
    there are many progressive steps that you can take. i learned to drop under the weight and front squat it up as well. first incorporate front squats in your workouts atleast once a week. then you can start progressively with clean pulls. these are very good on getting the feel for the weights again. the clean pull is basically a clean but you just dont get under the bar. then work your way to either hang cleans or power cleans. i personally do hang cleans. do lots of plyometrics and get more explosive. try to loosen up your hips and lower back.

follow the advice that HUGE GUY gave you. its all about practice. you need to start out lighta nd work your way up.

I need work on my clean 2 its been a few years use to clean about 250 at 175 now iam 215 and tried to do cleans the other day and barley got 225 horrible form i guess

dans is offline Junior Member
    It is all about bar speed at first, and then quickness to drop the hips.

Thread Information