Thread: breaking 9.77

100m champ is offline Member

breaking 9.77

Who do you guys think has the best chance of breaking 9.77...
    I think Aasafa Powell will break that time sometime next year. When he did run 9.77 his body started to get really tighten at the end, if he corretcs that he can probally run 9.76-9.75 again sometime next year. What yall think?

SprinterOne is offline Senior Member
    Either Powell or Gatlin. I think Gatlin may still be a couple of years away. We'll see how Powell does injury wise as his career continues. If he's healthy, I think Powell is capable of 9.75.

A little side note, but did you see his 9.99 in the semis of the GP (when he broke the wr in the finals)? That may have been the most impressive run I have ever seen. He practically jogged a 9.99.

Nicky B is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SprinterOne
    Either Powell or Gatlin. I think Gatlin may still be a couple of years away. We'll see how Powell does injury wise as his career continues. If he's healthy, I think Powell is capable of 9.75.

A little side note, but did you see his 9.99 in the semis of the GP (when he broke the wr in the finals)? That may have been the most impressive run I have ever seen. He practically jogged a 9.99.
    I agree here. The 2008 Olympics might give us some new world records in more the 1 event.

TestTubeBaby is offline Associate Member
    Asafa is a talent for sure..but Gatlin is the complete package. He is starting to look like the old Mo Greene in the fact Gatlin is getting a very consistent race pattern. He can run sub10 at will, and when pushed, go to 9.8(or below) for the win. Gatlin is the future of the sprints for years to come.

Ya gatlin is really starting to come around, Gatlin is still young and will be a serious threat at the world reccord for years to come, Oh ya and i forgot about Lenard Scott give him one more year and he will tear things up. Lenard Scott is probally the fastest man outta the blocks in the world right now, he tends to slow up a bit at the 70m mark tho which hurts him in running low 9.8's

Quote Originally Posted by TestTubeBaby
    Asafa is a talent for sure..but Gatlin is the complete package. He is starting to look like the old Mo Greene in the fact Gatlin is getting a very consistent race pattern. He can run sub10 at will, and when pushed, go to 9.8(or below) for the win. Gatlin is the future of the sprints for years to come.
    Gatlin has not run a sub 9.8 that I am aware of. His fastest time this year is 9.84 and he has only run 2 other 9.8s (88 and 89). Asafa, on the other hand, ran 4 times of 9.85 or faster. Still, I think Gatlin needs to learn to relax like Powell before he will be able to truly challenge the record. When he does, he may become the record holder, we'll see. In any case, it will be fun to watch these two guys run for many years.

i didnt say he did, im saying when pushed he has the capability to. and are you serious? gatlins style and last 30 is MUCH more relaxed than asafas entire race. asafas whole style is tense...anyone will tell you that. his stride is relatively short for his height etc..

Quote Originally Posted by TestTubeBaby
    i didnt say he did, im saying when pushed he has the capability to. and are you serious? gatlins style and last 30 is MUCH more relaxed than asafas entire race. asafas whole style is tense...anyone will tell you that. his stride is relatively short for his height etc..
    When I am talking about relaxed I am talking about his shoulders up, not their stride length. Powell's shoulders and face show great relaxation whereas Gatlin's show that he is tense. In all the videos I have seen Asafa looks much more relaxed then Gatlin at the end of the race. I have one from the Pre classic that is a head-on shot from track level and Gatlin's face and shoulders really reflect how tense he is, while Powell looks very relaxed. I think this is why Powell is currently faster than Gatlin (yes, I know he lost against him at the Pre classic) and the reason why I think Gatlin may eventually be faster than Powell.

Quote Originally Posted by SprinterOne
    When I am talking about relaxed I am talking about his shoulders up, not their stride length. Powell's shoulders and face show great relaxation whereas Gatlin's show that he is tense. In all the videos I have seen Asafa looks much more relaxed then Gatlin at the end of the race. I have one from the Pre classic that is a head-on shot from track level and Gatlin's face and shoulders really reflect how tense he is, while Powell looks very relaxed. I think this is why Powell is currently faster than Gatlin (yes, I know he lost against him at the Pre classic) and the reason why I think Gatlin may eventually be faster than Powell.
    I see what you mean powel is really releaxed its just that he tightens up towards the end of the race alot of the times besides that i think he has the best stride out there everything is smooth for powell

I'm not sure if he really tightens up at the end of the race or if he just doesn't run through the tape. He ran through the tape at the GP in Athens and we all know how that turned out.

i dunno what ur seeing bro, but me and all the sprinters on the track team have watched it several times and we see his shoulders tensing up at the latter part of the race, he could have a bit of a stronger,longer stride length/rate if he relaxed his upper body. ur arms dictate the rhythm of ur stride. thats why gatlin rushes past people in the last 10-20 carl lewis-esque style. carl was known for his stride length and relaxation that helped him surge towards the finish line. gatlin has run 9.85 with 0.2 while asafa has run his 9.77 with the maximum allowable wind..i do not think gatlin is very far off of asafa, if at all.

I guess we are watching different videos then, lol.

I never said Gatlin was far behind Powell, but I don't think anyone can say he is there yet. The wind at the Pre was +3.4 when Gatlin ran his best time of the year, a 9.84. The wind was +1.6 when Powell broke the record. Powell aslo ran a 9.84 with a wind of +1.8 and a 9.85 with a wind of +.06.

Cdub is offline Associate Member
    dont forget asafa is only 22

Quote Originally Posted by Cdub
    dont forget asafa is only 22
    Gatlin is also 22 you never know what can happen

Thread Information