alex33 is offline New Member

Strength on athletics?

How do sprinters work out in the gym?

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Do low rep squats.

SprinterOne is offline Senior Member
    It depends on how developed you are. The main thing for sprinters is to get stronger. But if you have a sprinter who has never lifted weight you need to work on other things first. Also, where you are in your periodization will determine how you lift.

Might be better to check out www.elitetrack.com, tons of good info on there.

Go Canucks Go is offline New Member
    Hey,
    Muscle lesson, you have 3 types of muscle fibers in your body, fast oxidative slow oxidative and fast glycolytic, well a few in btw but they're not important. Depending on how old you are you can have some shift in the make up of muscles, how ever it is limited. What happens in muscle contraction is from 10-15 seconds you use fast glycolytic because of the energy used and contraction force, after 10 seconds however your oxidative muscles kick in and glycolutic shut off. These muscles are specially developed to increase muscle contraction time. So, moral of the story is if you want to become a sprinter work on quick muscle contractions over a short amount of time (less than 10 sec) for a good start and for the endurance part train low weight with as many reps as possible sustaining contractions over a long period of time which will help you finish a race strong.
    Go Nux

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    come train w me and i'll show you

Badgerman is offline Banned
    Meal ticket......how long do you have to hold maximum sprint speed??

it's all realative to who i'm racing but the shortest might be 3-6 secods and longest night well be over 30 seconds.
    If im doing a keirin then w/ approx 635 meteres the motorcycle pulls off track @ 30mph..............if someone jumps right then then you're on their wheel holding it till maybe 250-150 meters left...so then you jump again..........
    sprint cyclings a bitch because i have to train like sprinter for the power and speed and jumps but also have to train for endurance to make sure i have the lungs to finish the race.
    The hardest event i have is the Kilometer....standing start. approx1:05-1:10 of absolute pure pain....100% all out......this is the pain threshold i hold EVERYTHING i do to. Nothing has ever hurt more than running this event....not even passing kidney stones

Cdub is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alex33
    How do sprinters work out in the gym?
    My main goal in the weight room is for power and strength. I do all my complex lifts with heavy weight and low reps(deads, bench, cleans, squats) I do arms just for beach muscle for the ladies, so on those workouts i do them like a bodybuilder. A sprinter needs to be as strong,powerful, and light as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdub
    A sprinter needs to be as strong,powerful, and light as possible.

ABSOLUTLEY.....the ONLY thing that matters is power/weight ratio!!!

PLYOMETRICS, DEEP SQUATS. The cure to all your sprinting problems. Good Luck.

Thread Information