Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mealticket is offline Senior Member

Can i 28 yrs old walkon a division 4 team?

I got a bet w/ a friend that says i couldn't walk on to a division 4 football team. 10 grand.
    Nvr played in highschool or college................but i know i could walk on. What do yall think......ever hear of someone that old walking on?

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    I suppose it's possible. I am considering playing for FSU. Before you laugh, they've got a satellite school in Panama (the country) and their team is the 2004 National Champion. I already spoke with their athletic director and it's just an issue of whether I'm going to go or not. I'm 24 and never played a down in my life.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    is there an age cap for college ball?

1819 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    is there an age cap for college ball?
    there is but it can be waived on a case by case. a year or two ago some 39 year old dude wanted to play with lou holtz and they were waiting for ncaa approval. i dont remember what became of it. also i remember some like 65 yr old guy playing for a junior college somewhere. i know in hockey there have been some late 20's early 30's guys play on some junior college teams but not at the higher levels.

thndrgod33 is offline Associate Member
    yes you can play, im 24 and walked onto a d3 lacrosse team, it dosn't matter how old you are. once you play in your first college game, the countdown begins then you only have 4years of eligibility. there is a 39 year old on south carolina's football team

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    I wouldn't try pro.. i'm 44..

but i got an invite to play semi pro..

the oldest here locally is 42..

but.. no pay.. no medical.. no glory..

i'm going to pass..

but for you...i'd say go for it.. depends on the position you are going for..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

elicotton is offline Associate Member
    I asked the same question when I saw the 39 yr old walk on @ SC...was told by a high school coach that eligibility clock starts ticking when you first register as a full time student at a college. TGod33's explanation sounds more likely though.

thndrgod33 is offline Associate Member
    yea, you can be on a team and never play and it doen't count against your eligibility, but if your in for 1 play in a regulation game it goes against your eligibility. also you have 5 years to play 4 years of a sport, so technically you could sit out a year

football65 is offline New Member
    we got a freshman this year that went to the marines for a bunch of a years, has a wife, kids- i think hes 26.

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I dont think there is an age limit..

you only need to be a full time students and you have your 6 years eligibility.

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    I heard it's a lot harder for a guy to walk on...true?..and how do they determine what position you play...or do you get to pick?

freedomfighter06 is offline New Member
    yall are in for a ride if you think you are gonna walk on to a D1 oe even 2 school. D3 and 4 maybe. I have played football all my life and from Pop Warner to Pro its harder every year. Sometimes I dont even think I can make it out of bed to get to the net practice. You got to have it in your blood and you have to be pretty much crazy and willing to sacrafice your long term health. Highschool was hard for me and pro is pretty tough mentally, but College is the toughest by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar. I played for MAC 10 school and I was bigger than most of the seniors my freshman year and got the sh*t beat out of me everyday in practice. I thought I was a big bad a** because I was all league in highschool. Its not fun.... the 90 degree days where you practice from 5am to 11am eat lunch then go back until you puke your lunch up. Go home, try to stay awake enough to study.....its hell on earth if you ask me. But come game time...its all worth it. Not saying any of you cant, but make sure you are willing to give up all your time and make a 110% commitment to the team and school. There aint gonna be no " I play college football " prancing around all the time. Bide, you may still go party but your performance will flounder and you will get the
    " See me after practice, we just cant have this, see ya later " talk. Seen it a hundred times.

Best advice I can give you. Run until you puke 3 times a week and if you can muster the strength to still lift you have a chance. I am still playing at 25. I have almost 17 years under my belt and I still LOVE it!!!!

You just gotta have the passion and heart. If you got that, you are considered a freshman "attainable and trainable".

GOOD LUCK and I am not trying to discourage. I just hate seeing good talent go to waste.

FF06

PS - Walk ons get treated like a bucket of dog shi*. Be prepared for hazing to be tough. These guys bust their a**es to get a full ride and keep grades to keep that ride. They dont want no walk on taking their position. You will be an enemy until you can prove yourself.

FF06

Cdub is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thndrgod33
    yes you can play, im 24 and walked onto a d3 lacrosse team, it dosn't matter how old you are. once you play in your first college game, the countdown begins then you only have 4years of eligibility. there is a 39 year old on south carolina's football team
    HE caught a pass last week for 8 yards. He has 6 kids.

Wow...thats awsome!!!

1819 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomfighter06
    PS - Walk ons get treated like a bucket of dog shi*. Be prepared for hazing to be tough. These guys bust their a**es to get a full ride and keep grades to keep that ride. They dont want no walk on taking their position. You will be an enemy until you can prove yourself.

FF06
    brings back memories i was in school on a free ride and still got treated like sh*t when i got there. i thought who the hell i was. the same m fers that were suckin my di*k, while i was being recruited, were the ones who made my life a living hell the first few weeks. i even had the balls(lack of brains) to tell my coach i thought he had the wrong guy one time when he was yelling at me. he took me in the office after practice and i was pretty sure i was gettin thrown through a window. it was real bad in the pro's but only for a short time. we all had a job to do there. the guys on the scout team(practice squad) were the guys i felt for. those boys had it rough.

It aint no joke either......Its fun, but its alot of work and dedication. I have seen full grown 300+lb lineman in tears from it.

FF06

TheNextBigThing is offline Associate Member
    My buddy plays at a D3 school and they have the oldest college player right now. ESPN was over there for a little while doing a thing on him. I can't remember how old he was but I remeber my friend telling me that he was like white haired (also that he sucked a$$). Most schools at that level will take walk ons, so I would absolutely take that bet.

Vegas67 is offline Member
    Sure you could walk on at that level with no experience. The starters need live tackling dummies that coaches dont mind injuring. (More realistic then sleds) However, good luck.

Hooksetter is offline Associate Member
    If you have decent size, strength, and speed its easily attainable....Division 4 must be like high school.. I had some buddies who played with me in high school and were absolutely horrible and play division 3. I mean there coulda been someone that had never played before just walk out to our high school practice and been better than them. I guess it depends on how prestigious the division 4 school is but my guess is that if you even have a spec or athleticism you could. If your fast your gonna make it easy. Speed kills and every football program will take a chance on a guy with speed.

monobravo is offline New Member
    Yeah I live 10 mins from USC, and know the guy that walked on at 39. Gave me much hope actually. I Soon will go into training to Walk On there in 2 years. Walking On I know is tuff, and is easier said then done. You have to be better than the scolarship players or as good to even start. Coaches are looking for speed, strength, and your agility. I have a guy thats helped College players become first round draft picks in the NFL, training me to be a walk-on. Its possible, look for a high school football coach that can help you train or a trainer that is experience with college athletes. Its very possible if its in your heart, not in a bet.
    Last edited by monobravo; 10-03-2005 at 02:21 PM.

junit37 is offline Junior Member
    WTF is Division 4? There are only 3 divisions of college football. Even if the competition is garbage, the only way you will make any kind of impact is if you are freakishly fast. At 28, you are more mature than everyone else, no doubt. However football maturity and life maturity are two different things. Football is a unique game and very complex at so many levels. To think that never ever playing organized football and thinking you are going to actually understand wtf is going on out there is an insult to all those kids that have been playing since they were little. I'm not hating, but believe me, unless who have played serious football you have no idea the commitment that comes along with your decision to succeed.

DwinsChamps is offline Associate Member
    It's pretty much impossible, as Div. 4 doesn't exist. However, there are literally a shitload of Div. 3 football teams, and their rosters aren't too hard to make. A kid from my highschool team who NEVER started a game walked onto Wisconsin Whitewater, the Div. 3 runner-up's. I say take the bet.

DBflash21 is offline Member
    First of all I hope you are joking, this is the most rediculous thread I've ever read. Second of all there is no such thing as Division 4 college football, there is D1 A, D1-AA, D2, D3, and NAIA, no such thing. I've personally played Division 1A football, and you don't just "show up" and play.

Quote Originally Posted by ginkobulloba
    I suppose it's possible. I am considering playing for FSU. Before you laugh, they've got a satellite school in Panama (the country) and their team is the 2004 National Champion. I already spoke with their athletic director and it's just an issue of whether I'm going to go or not. I'm 24 and never played a down in my life.
    FSU as in Florida State? and I will laugh, because that's the biggest joke in my life if you've never played a down in your life. I don't care how big or strong you are, if you've never played a down in your life you will get crushed, I promise. You WON'T last!

Quote Originally Posted by mealticket
    I heard it's a lot harder for a guy to walk on...true?..and how do they determine what position you play...or do you get to pick?
    You think?....yea you just go out there and say I will play QB, that works well at a lot of D1A colleges, try it... I really hope you are not serious.

Quote Originally Posted by monobravo
    Yeah I live 10 mins from USC, and know the guy that walked on at 39. Gave me much hope actually. I Soon will go into training to Walk On there in 2 years.
    Good luck considering USC is the best college program in the nation, and will be sending numerous players to the NFL. Some random walk on not only will never see the field, he will be injured, like I said I don't care how big you are, because there are always those kinds of guys, football is different, you have to be an ATHLETE, not a weight lifter.

I'm not trying to be some mr. knowitall, but I do have experience, and it's VERY tough, If you go for it, be prepared to be treated like $hit and used as a tackling dummy, and scout team bi.tch. All and all, good luck, and be prepared...

Logan13 is offline Banned

D4?

Quote Originally Posted by Mealticket
    I got a bet w/ a friend that says i couldn't walk on to a division 4 football team. 10 grand.
    Nvr played in highschool or college................but i know i could walk on. What do yall think......ever hear of someone that old walking on?
    D4, is that NAIA or JUCO? Not familiar with this...............Either way, we are not getting any younger bro, go for it! Don't want to "wish" that you would have in the future.

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    there is no D4 ... wtf are u guys talking about ?

u might mean a juco team

swingbatta is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBflash21
    Good luck considering USC is the best college program in the nation, and will be sending numerous players to the NFL. Some random walk on not only will never see the field, he will be injured, like I said I don't care how big you are, because there are always those kinds of guys, football is different, you have to be an ATHLETE, not a weight lifter.

I'm not trying to be some mr. knowitall, but I do have experience, and it's VERY tough, If you go for it, be prepared to be treated like $hit and used as a tackling dummy, and scout team bi.tch. All and all, good luck, and be prepared...
    yeah u make some good points...

he was talking about USC (South Carolina). They did have a walk-on their team this season who was 39.

check it out
    http://uscsports.collegesports.com/s...sby_tim00.html

[QUOTE=swingbatta]yeah u make some good points...he was talking about USC (South Carolina). They did have a walk-on their team this season who was 39.[QUOTE]

South Carolina, or Souther California, still D1A, read up a couple post's and freedom is exactly right. I've been playing my whole life (Since 3rd grade) and it's experience that you need. That's why it never works when they bring out a track star because they've never played before, and it doesn't matter how fast they are... Except for Teddy Ginn Jr. on Thee Ohio State Univ. I'm not trying to discourage anyone, but just stating the obvious. Good luck, and be prepared to be a scout team tackling dummy... we always love those walk ons haha...

allen70 is offline New Member
    If youre decent size and somewhat athletic I don't see why you can't walk on to a division III school with the proper amount of training. Everyone is talking about never playing a down, but Gates from the Chargers never played football, he was a basketball player and he walked on as Tight End for a Pro team. There are some old guys in college football and a young kid walked on to penn-state without ever playing. Have an idea of what position you want to play train for that position and good luck. I am going to be playing Division I-AA ball hopefully next fall, but I am 18.

Maybe Division III, but someone talked about walking on at Florida State, and never playing a down, tell me if you think that would work? Antonio Gates is a rareity, and very successful, but that doesn't happen much, or at all in most cases.

pioneer is offline Banned
    no age limit, but have you enrolled full time in a Universtiy? If so your 5 year clock starts the day you are enrolled fulltime, athletics or not

SteelTrain62 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mealticket
    There's no such thing at division 4....d1a, d1aa, d2, d3 and NAIA...so i think you lose the bet by default

Football_Bill is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    but i got an invite to play semi pro..

but.. no pay.. no medical.. no glory..

i'm going to pass..
    NO GLORY? I play semi pro, and true there is no pay but there is plenty of Glory. Why else would one play for no cash? Because of the love of the sport, and the glory. For a lot of the local kids, you are the closest thing to a Pro Football player they will ever meet.

As for walikg on at 28, I am 28 and if I could afford it I would. But if you never played a down in your life, save your body and stick with lifting. There are a lot of little techniques and skills that take years to hone.

Cdub is offline Associate Member
    d4 is like highschool ball. I mean the losing highschools at that

TENNISADD2005 is offline Junior Member
    There is an age limit for DIV I and not the other Divisions

The USC now 40 year old player got cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse because we was in the US Military which does not count towards his maximum age eligibility.

I hope a mod closes this thread.

TENNISADD2005 is offline Junior Member
    I hope a mod closes this thread.
    I second that

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    Maybe Division III, but someone talked about walking on at Florida State, and never playing a down, tell me if you think that would work? Antonio Gates is a rareity, and very successful, but that doesn't happen much, or at all in most cases.
    I guess you didn't read my post clearly. I'm not talking about FSU in Tallahassee, this is a satellite campus in the country of Panama where they play in a league against other college teams in that country. I'm not crazy enough to think I could play for the real FSU without ever playing a down.

Quote Originally Posted by ginkobulloba
    I guess you didn't read my post clearly. I'm not talking about FSU in Tallahassee, this is a satellite campus in the country of Panama where they play in a league against other college teams in that country. I'm not crazy enough to think I could play for the real FSU without ever playing a down.
    Satellite campus in Panama? how the hell is that related to FSU? well whatever, good luck, nobodyd really follows satellite football...not sure how competitive that is

DwinsChamps is offline Associate Member
    Pleeeeeeeease let this thread die!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information