yarite is offline Junior Member

anyone play hockey

Started about five years ago. Looking for a good excersise to help with my speed and my slap shot. I know that hockey uses alot of core muscles but doing sit ups doesn't seem like it would help with my slap shot. Seen lots of articles on baseball for building bat speed but nothing on hockey. Any help would be appreciated.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    For slap shot it would be shoulders and chest but you have to be careful with weights. Hockey is all based on technique, strength is secondary. Search plyometric training. Something Mark Recchi used and he still has decent speed for his age

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    See if you also find Rod Brindmour's training routine he is an animal when it comes to training and at his age.

yarite is offline Junior Member
    as for technique, is there any video/books out there that can teach technigue? I'm 31 and most camps are for young kids.

dangeroussafety is offline Junior Member
    i played hockey for 10 years...its the best sport there is...like they previously stated...keep your abs strong as well as your obliques...pylos are a godsend...and keep getting stronger in your upper body...really concentrate on increasing the load for Bench and Military Press...hockey has a lot to do with mental speed too...how quick you can process whats comin at you and either act or react...good luck

ROUDA is offline Junior Member
    What kind of hockey do you play. foot roller or ice.
    I only consider it to be hockey if its ice hockey. if you play foot hockey you misewell play tennis

ROUDA is offline Junior Member
    If you play ice hockey witch I hope you do the most important thing for someone your age is to get on the ice as much as you can. Im 21 and still playing semi pro in pittsburgh based team. When Im going to prepare for preseason training I will get on the ice every morning for at least an hour. another thing that you have to do when your on the ice is use your time smart cause theres not that much of it.

Thread Information