Thread: Shot...

skibo is offline New Member

Exclamation Shot...

What type of lifting can make you a better shot thrower? Like just bench pressing? What would improve your results a couple feet besides form? And also what's some good training tech.?

buckeyefootball4 is offline Senior Member
    each day you lift do a push/press/squat.. for example

3day spilt:
    mon:
    power clean
    back squat
    bench press

wed:
    power snatch
    front squats
    incline press

fri:
    3 positon power clean
    spilt jerk
    back squat

4 day spilt:
    mon:
    hang snatch
    spilt jerk
    back squat

tue:
    hang clean
    lunges
    bench press

thur:
    power clean
    clean pull
    front squats
    incline press

fri:
    db snatch
    spilt squat
    close grip

this is just a sample and very basic..
    Last edited by buckeyefootball4; 10-15-2005 at 09:32 AM.

I am not really crazy about squats :| And what's a power clean and a power snatch?

buckeyefootball4 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skibo
    I am not really crazy about squats :| And what's a power clean and a power snatch?
    well ur not crazy about throwing far....

lol... I was never crazy about squats, like I know I go the gym and everyone is like squat this and that and I am like nahhh. I don't know what to say, sorry?

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    how can you want to be a power athlete, but are to lazy to lift legs, if you want to be serious about anything that requires athletic ablity you have to lift legs, hey try bowling if you want to play with heavy balls without doing any work

redmango is offline Junior Member
    I personally gained a lot on my shot and disc throws by doing a shitload of olympic lifts such as various types of cleans and snatches. Jump squats are really good, but you have to be sure your form is good and you dont do too much weight to prevent injury. High resistance and weighted ab and trunk workouts are also very effective. For the throws, your trunk and lower body are far more important than your upper body. It took me a long time to realize that, but once i did and started focusing more on my trunk and explosive lifts, my distances started increasing rapidly. Try to do some form of clean or other explosive lifts at least 4 days a week. For your upper body, try to do your pressing lifts as explosive as possible. Isolation lifts and bodybuilding type workouts are not doing much to help your throwing. your primary concern should be trunk rotation and lower body explosivness rather than brute strength and size.

redmango is offline Junior Member
    Short sprints, box jumps, and other quickness and agility work is good too.

Well this is weird b/c I could leg press a decent amount of weight, around 800 pounds if not alittle bit more. But like last year I never did shot I was just fooling around with no form and I was getting like 26 ft. which is very weak. I wanted to get to like atleast 36 this year. But I will def. take your advice it makes very much sense thanks!

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    You need to squat, dont tell me any excuses cause its wether you want to throw farther or not. Bench press would not be of great use.

Obe_One_Kanobi is offline Junior Member
    If he want's to throw 36 feet he doesn't need to do any of the above, just buy a basic learn how to throw the shot video and with proper and if he ges anything close to the technique hell throw well over 36 feet by just doing regular lifts at the gym. He wouldn't even have to do squats. Now if he's looking to go 50's, 60's or higher then that's a different story.

Better yet.. if he throws the shot 2 times a week for at least 3 months he'll throw at least 40 feet using the standing position.

LL08 is offline Member
    O1K your back...just sending you a PM

Nicky B is offline Senior Member
    Do you use the glide or do you spin.

Thread Information