Baller9 is offline Associate Member

Explosive Starts

I'm looking to improve my first 3-4 steps in the 60 yd dash. For baseball we start from a base ste****g start. My acceleration and top speed are both pretty good, but sometimes I feel like the transition from stopped to acceleration is in slow motion.

My plan is to start upping my clean routine.

Does anyone have any suggestions for drills and/or focus points for form?

Thanks.

Big M is offline Associate Member
    but sometimes I feel like the transition from stopped to acceleration is in slow motion.
    I know all about that my friend Had the same problem. Do explosive squats (deep) Just do 2 realy explosive sets of 2 reps with a weight that you could handle for 4reps. Drive the weight up as fast as you can. This will make you explosive in the start. the reason for just 2sets is that you can train more often I did it EOD (still do) has helped me alot!!

Another thing you can try is "standing long jump from the blocks" try to improve the distance you can jump out of your blocks (just dont do when racing

bbplayer9 is offline New Member
    [QUOTE=Big M] Do explosive squats (deep) Just do 2 realy explosive sets of 2 reps with a weight that you could handle for 4reps.

you got anymore exercises?

awesome...liking the deep explosive squats...

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Power Cleans.

plyometrics...do a search on the internet.

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    do rubberband pulls coming out of the blocks this works on the driving phase, you want to pop out and drive forward, diving out, you have to train your feet to catch up to the dive out

'Rubberband Pulls' meaning resistance from a partner or accelerations with a partner? I.e., does the partner slow you down or speed you up?

Thanks for the focal point on popping out and driving forward, that makes sense, but my feet are definitely not catching up yet.

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    your partner is holding the rubber band behind you, and you drive out of the blocks in a diving motion, your start will be faster once your feet catch up, this usually takes 1 to 2 months of block training

dont do this again

buckeyefootball4 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big M
    I know all about that my friend Had the same problem. Do explosive squats (deep) Just do 2 realy explosive sets of 2 reps with a weight that you could handle for 4reps. Drive the weight up as fast as you can. This will make you explosive in the start. the reason for just 2sets is that you can train more often I did it EOD (still do) has helped me alot!!

Another thing you can try is "standing long jump from the blocks" try to improve the distance you can jump out of your blocks (just dont do when racing

i use the jump start when racing and i love it but u got to be strong... 550lb squat..

Thread Information