Thread: Football advice

OLine78 is offline New Member

Football advice

Hi guys, I play centre for an up and coming amature football team in europe, I'm 27 and have only been playing for 2 years and whilst I used to be in good shape a snapped ACL caused me to give up everything for about 5 years [partly due to having to wait years for an opperation and partly because I became a a bum and sat around all day taking drugs and eating crap]

I'm 6'2" and 276lbs but I'm carrying about 25% bodyfat [like I said 5 years of being a bum] my aim is 300-315lbs and 10% bodyfat but anything under 20% and I'll be happy. I'm working on sorting my diet at the moment, and i'm making improvements.

My primary goal in improving my strength. I'm ok, but not great, with my legs I can press 440lbs on the iso leg press (220lbs on each leg) I could do more with my right but I'm trying to keep it balanced with my left which never fully recovered from the 2 operations. My upper body is far too weak at the moment, I can only rep 180lbs on the bench.

This is the workout I'm using at the moment and I'm slowly getting gains but we're going up a division next year and will be compeating agains the best in the country and in a few years against the best in europe. I'll soon be up agains ex-collage and ex-nfl/nfle players so I need every advantage I can get.

Any advice you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Monday WORKOUT 1 + WORKOUT 3
    Tuesday WORKOUT 2
    Thursday WORKOUT 1
    Friday WORKOUT 2 + WORKOUT 3

WORKOUT 1

EXERCISE SETS REPETITIONS
    BENCH PRESS 4 10/10/8/8
    INCLINE PRESS 3 10/10/10
    INCLINE DUMBELL 3 10/10/10

DEADLIFT 4 10/10/8/8
    BENT ROWS 3 10/10/10
    GOODMORNINGS 3 10/10/10
    LAT PULLDOWNS 3 10/10/10

WORKOUT 2

ISO LEG PRESS 4 10/10/10/10
    LEG EXTENTIONS 3 12/12/12
    LEG CURLS 3 12/12/12
    CALF RAISES 4 15/15/15/15

HANG CLEANS 4 10/10/8/8
    SHOULDER PRESS 3 10/10/10
    SHRUGS 4 10/10/10/10
    PLATE PRESS 3 10/10/10

WORKOUT 3

CRUNCHIES 3 30/30/30
    LEG RAISES 3 15/15/15
    SIDE TWISTS 3 10/10/10
    BACK EXTENSIONS 3 10/10/10

Drop the ISO LEG PRESS and do squats

Due to transport problems I have to go straight to the gym from work, which means I have to go on my own, so I have no one to spot me. I've tried using the smiths machine but I just can't get the hang of it, It just feels really wrong. I should be getting some help next Monday from some of the other players so I should be moving to squats soon.

Quote Originally Posted by OLine78
    Due to transport problems I have to go straight to the gym from work, which means I have to go on my own, so I have no one to spot me. I've tried using the smiths machine but I just can't get the hang of it, It just feels really wrong. I should be getting some help next Monday from some of the other players so I should be moving to squats soon.
    I never use spotters......dont you have a power rack???? or a squat rack???
    Safe to squat alone in either one.

Like I said I should be using the smiths machine soon for squats so it'll all be good

buckeyefootball4 is offline Senior Member
    Hi guys, I play centre for an up and coming amature football team in europe, I'm 27 and have only been playing for 2 years and whilst I used to be in good shape a snapped ACL caused me to give up everything for about 5 years [partly due to having to wait years for an opperation and partly because I became a a bum and sat around all day taking drugs and eating crap]

I'm 6'2" and 276lbs but I'm carrying about 25% bodyfat [like I said 5 years of being a bum] my aim is 300-315lbs and 10% bodyfat but anything under 20% and I'll be happy. I'm working on sorting my diet at the moment, and i'm making improvements.

My primary goal in improving my strength. I'm ok, but not great, with my legs I can press 440lbs on the iso leg press (220lbs on each leg) I could do more with my right but I'm trying to keep it balanced with my left which never fully recovered from the 2 operations. My upper body is far too weak at the moment, I can only rep 180lbs on the bench.

This is the workout I'm using at the moment and I'm slowly getting gains but we're going up a division next year and will be compeating agains the best in the country and in a few years against the best in europe. I'll soon be up agains ex-collage and ex-nfl/nfle players so I need every advantage I can get.

Any advice you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Monday WORKOUT 1 + WORKOUT 3
    Tuesday WORKOUT 2
    Thursday WORKOUT 1
    Friday WORKOUT 2 + WORKOUT 3

WORKOUT 1

BENCH PRESS 4 10/10/8/8
    INCLINE PRESS 3 10/10/10
    INCLINE DUMBELL 3 10/10/10

DEADLIFT 4 10/10/8/8
    BENT ROWS 3 10/10/10
    GOODMORNINGS 3 10/10/10
    LAT PULLDOWNS 3 10/10/10

WORKOUT 2

ISO LEG PRESS 4 10/10/10/10
    LEG EXTENTIONS 3 12/12/12
    LEG CURLS 3 12/12/12
    CALF RAISES 4 15/15/15/15

HANG CLEANS 4 10/10/8/8
    SHOULDER PRESS 3 10/10/10
    SHRUGS 4 10/10/10/10
    PLATE PRESS 3 10/10/10

WORKOUT 3

CRUNCHIES 3 30/30/30
    LEG RAISES 3 15/15/15
    SIDE TWISTS 3 10/10/10
    BACK EXTENSIONS 3 10/10/10
    SHITTY STRENGTH PROGRAM WHERE IS THE SPEED, AGILITY AND CONDITIONING??? TRY M-W-F HITTING A EXPLOSIVE/SQUATTING/PRESSES/PULL/CORE MOVEMENT EACH WORKOUT.. FOR EXAMPLE:

MON:
    HC
    BSQ
    BP
    PULL UPS
    HANGING LEG RAISES

WED:
    PC
    1 LEG SQUAT OR SPILT SQUATS
    INCLINE PRESS
    CLEAN PULL
    MED BALL SITUPS

FRI:
    SPEED SNATCHES
    FRONT SQUATS
    CLOSE GRIP OR 1 DB BENCH
    1 ARM DB ROW
    RUSS TWIST

THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE AS U KNOW EVERYONES BODY IS DIFF.. M-W-F ALSO WOULD BE THE DAYS YOU WORK SPEED/AGILITY AND LOW INTENSITY PLYOS SINCE YOU ARE A BIG GUY.. TUE/THUR WILL BE UR CONDITIONING DAYS TRY DOING TEMPO RUN FOR EXAMPLE 30X50@30SEC REST WITH PUSHUPS IN BETWEEN EACH REP OR 20X100@45SEC REST...

Like I said I should be using the smiths machine soon for squats so it'll all be good
    Smith squats are not squats!!! why would you use the smith???
    If you are training for a sport then do real squats.

Because we've just finished our season I'm concentraiting on strength, In January I'll be adding 2/3 days training with the team and my lifting will change too. I know that I would benifit from spending more time training and spending more time working on my conditioning but I work a full week and as it stands and struggle to have any free time as it is. I need to find a balance that alows me to have a relationship with my girlfriend and play football.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone_Biggums
    Smith squats are not squats!!! why would you use the smith???
    If you are training for a sport then do real squats.
    Mainly it's a confidence/experience thing, I'm not happy with the idea of doing squats without someone to spot me at the moment. I'm sure it will come with time.

Don't get me wrong I really appreciate the advice I'm being given, and I am going to review my workout taking all this into consideration.

Thanks guys

Because we've just finished our season I'm concentraiting on strength, In January I'll be adding 2/3 days training with the team and my lifting will change too. I know that I would benifit from spending more time training and spending more time working on my conditioning but I work a full week and as it stands and struggle to have any free time as it is. I need to find a balance that alows me to have a relationship with my girlfriend and play football.
    ok thats understandable, but u decided to play the great game so make the time and train right.... if u dont have time to run u still need to make sure your at least during a dynamic warmup and jumprope daily bc its all about beening an athletic/mobility etc.. if you really wanted to focus on strength you may want to bump ur lifting up to 4x per week using the same format...

mon:
    hc
    bsq
    fsq
    bp
    pullups
    med ball situps

tue:
    snatch
    stepups
    rdl
    bp
    lat pulls
    arm circuit
    hanging leg raises

thur:
    pc
    clean pull
    bsq
    gm
    incline
    russ twist

fri;
    db snatch
    lunges
    glut ham
    1 leg hypers
    chinups
    farmers walk
    med ball throws

once agian just an example... if u have more questions hit me up later i have to go train.. this is the same format that USC/TENN/MIAMI AND LSU ETC IS USING.. ITS DIFF BUT IT WORKS.. BC WHEN U PLAY SPORTS U JUST DONT USE UR CHEST ONE DAY THEN LEGS ONE- U USE TOTAL BODY EVERYDAY
    Last edited by buckeyefootball4; 11-28-2005 at 09:57 AM.

Thanks again guys, I'm going to stick with my workout for another few weeks because then I'm going to need to change things up anyway, so I'll give your suggestions a try. Also I'm going to try doing squats tomorrow and see how it goes, I'll put a light weight on and see if I can get the hang of it. My car should also be back on the road next weekend which will make it much easier for me to train more often, at the moment I don't get home untill about 9 on a training day but with the car I can be back by 7 so life will be easier.

junit37 is offline Junior Member
    I agree with Buckeye, the BB workout is not going to get it done. 3X per week is perfect for football. Hit full body everyday, and use your off days as recovery. You are playing an explosive sport, you have to train like it. If you want to be successful you have to do squats, no excuses. Smith machine is not functional. And also, you are not going to be able to be 315lbs and 10% bodyfat. It's just not a realistic goal for where you are at. Just concentrate on getting explosive and work on doing footwork. Lineman always overlook the importance of quick feet.

I've had the whole "quick feet" thing drilled into me from day one, it's one of the area's where I'm weakest. Apart from skipping what drills/exerises are good for improving this

I've had the whole "quick feet" thing drilled into me from day one, it's one of the area's where I'm weakest. Apart from skipping what drills/exerises are good for improving this
    quick feet work should be done daily as a warmup before you hit the weight, if you read my earlier post thats what i said..

BEFORE WEIGHTS:
    AGILITY LADDER/JUMPROPE/DOT DRILL
    HURDLE MOBILITY DRILLS
    CORE

1819 is offline Senior Member
    that is exactly why i suggested (in your other thread) that you not put on 30-40 lbs.

just lil advice never never change your workouts just to get bigger bc the game is about been athletic at all position, if you really feel like you need to get bigger just increase ur food intake and keep everything else the same run/lift etc..

I've switched to doing real squats, If you guys haddn't said I'd proably not have tried. I'm glad that I have because I know I'll get better results. I've been paying attention to my diet and what supprised me the most was how much more I needed to eat. It's still not perfect but I'm trying to eat the right things. My big failing is when I get my breakfast at work, I keep intending to have the poached eggs on toast but then I smell the cooking and it has to be a sausage and egg batch. Apart from that I'm mostly good, I could probably do with more fibre though so I'm going to get some brown rice.

Oh yea in my origional post i said I was 25% BF but I re calculated it and it came out as 20% so i think I remembered it wrong.

Thedudex2000 is offline Junior Member
    your a big guy height and weight, i wouldnt get too much lighter, but i would work on your speed, and explosiveness. As im sure u you have realised. sqatting is one of the most important workouts you can do as a football player. also dont forget to do powercelans, this works on all areas of strength, and explosion. you might want to consider looking into the west coast barbell style of lifting. guys have seen me on this forum for 2 years talking about west coast barbell, and many have asked me for advice on it, and they have come back to me with positive feedback. it concentrates an strength as well as explosiveness and speed. it is used by world class powerlifters all over the place. Paul Childress, who i believe currently holds the world record for the squat swears by it. i had the pleasure of meeting him,and believe me, he is a LOT of man.
    if your interested in west coast barbell, PM me and ill be more than happy to help

roger24 is offline Banned
    yeah, work on your speed. mabe try to put on more muscle

Thread Information