Thread: Speed Trainin

allen70 is offline New Member

Speed Trainin

What do you guys do to lower your 40 time and quickness all together for that matter. I'm not very fast and I have a lot I can approve what are the basic work outs you guys do for running? Thanks

DBflash21 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allen70
    What do you guys do to lower your 40 time and quickness all together for that matter. I'm not very fast and I have a lot I can approve what are the basic work outs you guys do for running? Thanks
    Approve? Do you mean improve? moving on...best thing to do is run something with an incline, i.e. hills, stairs, or anything that will resist you from normal running i.e. sand, or something of that nature. Next, make sure you do your legs lifts, and that you stretch a lot, speed = flexibility. If you want some further information PM me.

Harn is offline New Member
    Allen you can try some resistance speed training as well as over speed training. If you google speed training equipment you will see tons of stuff with some really good instructional videos.

lilKimmy2 is offline Female Member
    move your legs quicker...... duh

Quote Originally Posted by allen70

Speed is the product of one's stride length and stride frequency. With that said, you will need to increase your stride length with flexibilty drills and increase your stride frequency with strength training drills...actually, they are not strength training drills....they should be power training drills. In the weight room the 3 best exercises you can do for improving stride frequency are: parallel squats, stiff legged deadlifts and power cleans. Do plyometric drills on separate days. So, if you do the 3 lifts, plyometrics and alot of flexibility drills you can improve your speed. This is a very basic explanation...Speed enhancement is a science and you need to read as much as you can. Here is a sample routine you can follow, but you will need to do a lot more research as you do not know how to perform these exercises correctly. And, as I said, this is a basic explanation...so, there is a lot of details I am leaving out.

BEGINNER/BASIC PROGRAM:

MONDAY:
    Box Squats
    Step-ups
    Glute-Ham Raises
    Flexibilty Drills

TUESDAY:
    10 sets of 40 yard Sprints
    Plyometrics
    Flexibility Drills

WEDNESDAY:
    Powercleans
    Auxillary Lifts (sport specific)
    Flexibility Drills

THURSDAY:

Plyometrics
    Flexibility Drills

FRIDAY:
    Parallel Squats
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Flexibility Drills

*I cannot emphasize enoough the fact that there is increasing your speed is a very hard and will take a lot of work...not hard work, but smart work...READ!! PM if you have more questions.
    Last edited by catabolic kid; 02-04-2006 at 02:05 PM.

fatback25 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catabolic kid
    Speed is the product of one's stride length and stride frequency. With that said, you will need to increase your stride length with flexibilty drills and increase your stride frequency with strength training drills...actually, they are not strength training drills....they should be power training drills. In the weight room the 3 best exercises you can do for improving stride frequency are: parallel squats, stiff legged deadlifts and power cleans. Do plyometric drills on separate days. So, if you do the 3 lifts, plyometrics and alot of flexibility drills you can improve your speed. This is a very basic explanation...Speed enhancement is a science and you need to read as much as you can. Here is a sample routine you can follow, but you will need to do a lot more research as you do not know how to perform these exercises correctly. And, as I said, this is a basic explanation...so, there is a lot of details I am leaving out.

BEGINNER/BASIC PROGRAM:

MONDAY:
    Box Squats
    Step-ups
    Glute-Ham Raises
    Flexibilty Drills

TUESDAY:
    Plyometrics
    Flexibility Drills

WEDNESDAY:
    Powercleans
    Auxillary Lifts (sport specific)
    Flexibility Drills

THURSDAY:

Plyometrics
    Flexibility Drills

FRIDAY:
    Parallel Squats
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Flexibility Drills

*I cannot emphasize enoough the fact that there is increasing your speed is a very hard and will take a lot of work...not hard work, but smart work...READ!! PM if you have more questions.
    Good post bro! I think athletes, especially football players, spend too much time and focus on lifting and trying to get bigger and heavier rather than focusing on getting faster and quicker on the field. Here's my two cents: keep the w/o's in the weightroom short, no longer than 45 min's. Move fast, lift w/ intensity and really emhasize bar speed. In each workout take a squat, press, clean or combo of all three followed by some sport specific lifts to follow. When lifting and choosong lifts focus on speed(to be fast, train fast), compound movements and if all possible do an exercise that requires you to be on your feet (for instance choose one-legged squat over leg press or standing military press over sitting) also one- armed or legged alternating exercises are great! Try to set up your program with you lifting 3 days a week with days off in between using that time to do speed agility work and plyo. (ex. mon,wed,fri lift/ tues,thurs,sat run *you can also use sat to do any extra lifting that you didn't do during the week , more of your bb lifts if you so want them, curls, calf raises, fly's etc.) try to follow this plan as much as you can but of course adjust it for your needs and time.

On the field or track: approach your speed w/o's with the same intensity and focus you do as when you lift if not more! Understand that (assuming you are a football player i only guess b/c you mentioned your 40 time) that speed is the name of the game & its good to look big & intimidating in your pads but you can't hit what you can't catch. Work on your dynamic flexibility drills, try to get some form of resistance running, tempo runs & overspeed in each w/o. then follow that with about 3 good change of direction drills at about 3 reps per drill. and always end any speed w/o with a few good full 40yd sprints with about 3 or 5 min btween each run. this is because you always want to leave the field or track feeling fast (tough to explain but trust me) dude this shit is real vague but like the man said do some research or pm somebody or ask your coaches. also if you are a big guy then focus on your change of direction since that is more important for your position rather than straightline speed or vice versa. finally like catabolic kid said flexibility is very important and very often overlooked. in theory you could almost ditch the speed training and merely focus on dynamic and static flexibility and still improve your speed. i like to put flexibility training into a separate w/o : in the a.m. go jump on a recumbant bike or treadmill for about 15-25 min low intensity and then take another 20-25 min to stretch out. this will get the soreness out from the previous day, get you loose for your next w/o and it will also help keep your body fat levels in check.

And try this: go to a yoga class somewhere around you a few times a week and which is a good way to improve flex not to mention there are always a few hot chicks in those classes to look at if anything. and since you are taking yoga they will probably think you are some real refined and eclectic type guy. Needless to say that never worked for me though.

padik01 is offline New Member
    Yoga's great for flexibility, but I don't know about the good looking girls. When I went, I was the only guy and all the girls felt comfortable farting while stretching.

Great post though

allen70 is offline New Member
    Lmao i would cry if I heard them farting. Thanks for the posts. Yeah i'm a football player, and kinda a bigger guy 6' 235 but I play D-end and after college I will never be able to play that position at a higher level. So I figure if I start training for say linebacker now in 4 years I will be in good shape for wherever I will fit in.

Thread Information