Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member

Picking 1st Comp?

What is the best way to pick your first competition? I do not want to enter a comp and get totally blown away once I get there. So any help or pointers would be appreciated.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    compete in a natural drug tested show to start and go from there...i just competed in an ANBC show and did well with it... pretty fair judgement and not much for cheaters....if you are going to compete natural make sure you ARE natural though.

Like totally natural? Are natural long enough to have 'whatever' out of your system? You got any pics from your show?

BIG R is offline Member
    Hyper

I chose my first competition a year out!! I watched my friends compete in 99' and then I Trained hard as hell to fix my week points. I was lucky enough to have some help from an experienced competitor that won lots of his own competitions. I was involved with the posing aspect for a long time before the whole thing went down. AR is a good place to start only you need to find someone from your local place to teach you all of the good stuff. But most of all I think that I wanted to win........BAD! So I made that a reality.

R

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

i'm scared as hell right now

to have my doors blown off come august when i do my first one. everythign is new to me. i'm gonna talk to gaspari and see what he can swing for me with advice. who knows? i have been attending shows lately to see what i'm looking at as far as competition. who knows though....
    i'm gonna bring my best game i can and let everyone else figure it out. it's gonna be my first one so if i get killed, **** it. i don't expect to get blown away. i told myself first one is a learnign experience and go to win.
    anyone who wants to throw advice my way by all means hit me up!!!

It is weird having people at the gym telling you that you need to compete and all this junk. I am trying to get my 2 buds to do it with me. The show is in late May early June. Training is perfect, SC would be contacted for my dietary approach. I just don't know what to expect and really not into getting bent over onstage for the first time. Of course I want to win, but my main concern is to not make an ass out of myself.

BIG R is offline Member
    Party and Hyper,

Dude, I was totally stoked that my family wanted to go along with my cousins and some of my coworkers were going to see me. But then the question set in that..."What if I got my ass KICKED?" At one certian point I only was looking at saving face and trying to place like 3rd at least and not get cut.....................

So I busted my ass off with diet (always the hardest part) and training for 4 months in the end I kick some ass and place 1st my 1st time out. You got to get that sence of urgency about getting your ass kicked, and then things will fall into place. I was freaked-out now that I look back on it.....I must have made so many mistakes but I forest Gumped my way to Victory! Hahahahaha.

I will be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability. After the 1st one I began to like it. Now in the open class its a bitch looks like I either need to get 2-3 inches shorter or gain 20 and move up. Open is evil with stone-faced killers at your back.....you've got to be good!

R

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    What is the best way to pick your first competition? I do not want to enter a comp and get totally blown away once I get there. So any help or pointers would be appreciated.
    Well, for me, I wanted to compete for the longest time but I kept saying I needed to get bigger. Finally I said I should just do it. I was not sure what to do and which contest to do first. Of all shows to pick I picked a national qualifier to do for my first show and I ended up placing well and qualifying for nationals.

Your best bet is try and find someone local who competes who can offer you help. I know a few pros here in NYC and they offered to help me. I had someone to help me with my diet, training, cycle, posing, mandatories, posing routine ... pretty much everything.

So again, just pick a date and just do it. If you train hard, stick to your diet and take things seriously everything will come together when you get on stage. It's a great feeling being up there.
    Last edited by Carlos_E; 12-01-2004 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by partyboynyc
    to have my doors blown off come august when i do my first one. everythign is new to me. i'm gonna talk to gaspari and see what he can swing for me with advice. who knows? i have been attending shows lately to see what i'm looking at as far as competition. who knows though....
    i'm gonna bring my best game i can and let everyone else figure it out. it's gonna be my first one so if i get killed, **** it. i don't expect to get blown away. i told myself first one is a learnign experience and go to win.
    anyone who wants to throw advice my way by all means hit me up!!!
    Go into the show with the attitude you're going to win and as long as you put your all into it and are discipline you will place well. I did not cheat my contest diet... NOT ONCE!!! In my head I kept thinking if I eat this the person who beats me probably didn't... If I go out partying, the person who beats me probably wouldn't... If I skip a workout the person who beats me probably didn't... ect.

During contest prep I think everyone has to have a coach. You need a second set of eyes to look at you and judge your progress because due to the diet, cardio and lack of energy you will not be thinking straight and will most likely make poor decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG R
    I will be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability. After the 1st one I began to like it. Now in the open class its a bitch looks like I either need to get 2-3 inches shorter or gain 20 and move up. Open is evil with stone-faced killers at your back.....you've got to be good!

R
    We will be in the same weight class Junior Nationals and Nationals.

BIG R is offline Member

Talking 1st comp.

NO BEER!
    :spudniksh NO BEER!
    AGAIN, NO BEER!

R

After reading the helpful posts, I think I am going to "man up" and do the May/June show. I am wanting to start the diet Jan 5th. That would be approximately 20 weeks out. I am bulikng right now and at 12%. I lose fast very fast when dieting, so do you think 20 weeks is about right. I am looking at about 20lbs of fat to lose to put me right at 4% then do the contest prep. I am from Kentucky, we are famous for KFC and tobacco, not bodybuilding, so finding a local to help me out is slim!!! I'll manage.

BIG R is offline Member
    Kentucky,
    Kentucky,
    Kentucky,

I dont know any competitors from Kentucky. Sorry. I'd introduce you to some cool people but only in Texas.

Duckhombre is offline Associate Member

El Paso Area?

Looking for some help around here. First comp July24.

BIG R is offline Member

Comp in TX?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhombre
    Looking for some help around here. First comp July24.

Duck,

Are you South, East, North, or West TX? Texas has pleanty of Competitions that the NPC holds every year.

R

Thread Information