JayP40 is offline Junior Member

Rep scheme for mass

I have a question for everyone here. What is the best rep scheme for building mass?

This dumbass I lift with at the gym says I need to go with a rep range of 10 to 12 to build mass.

I currently train to failure with a rep range of 3 to 8, If I can do the weight 3 or 4 reps I decrease, 7 8 or 9 reps I increase. I feel this is the only way to train to get huge.

He is also on this routine where you train heavy for 2 weeks eating 4500 cal/ day. THen light training for 2 weeks eating 1500 cal/day. I was wanting some input here on this subject to see if this is a good principle or bad.

Also should you do negatives every week?

Please respond ASAP
    Thanx
    J

Actualllllly,
    You can build mass with rep's at 10-15 4 4 sets. I'm doing it now. I'm alittle older and do NOT want to get injured......Look at some of Arnold's old training programs.

reps

I just always tend to cut up when I do above 10 reps. I just dont seem to bulk up much when I go at higher reps

Try doing 4 sets of 15. Hit 3 excercises and work em hard. So that by the last set your ready to cry. Then eat 5000 cal's a day......You'll grow.
    Keep em base excercises. No foo foo cr@p.

reps

Ill give it a try. I didnt mean the rep scheme was dumb earlier I just meant the dumbass I workout with.

He just pisses me off b.c everything I come up with he thinks is stupid and that just pisses me off.

He trains chest/back Mon
    arms Tues
    legs/should Wed
    Then he does negatives for chest and back on Thurdays and then negatives for shoulders on Friday. I just cant figure his workout out. I just cant bench and deadlift heavy on the same day

I train back on sunday, chest on monday, legs on tues, rest on wed, shoulders on thurs, arms on fri, rest on sat, repeat

Do you think this is a bad split?

Hey Bro,

Whatever is comfortable for you! There are NO rules. Whatever feels good.

I do:
    Mon legs - abs little lighter day
    Tue Chest -Bi -Calves
    Wed off
    Thur legs
    Fri Shoulders Tris- Calves
    Sat Traps and Back -Abs

If I Im wiped after my main parts I migh do abs and calves on an off day.

WHATEVER WORKS......

Tnoel is offline New Member
    A lot of it depends on your genetic make-up. I gain mass with reps between 4 and 8. I do not make gains in mass in the 10 to 15 rep range. However, as you can see from the above post, MrM gains mass from a rep range that does nothing for me -- well maybe with the exception of legs. Play with different rep ranges and see what works best for you. More importantly, make sure your diet is in check and that you are getting adequate amounts of protein and calories to gain mass. You can train as hard as you want, but you will not see any significant gains (if any) without the proper nutrition.

nutrition

I have been eating about 3000 cal/day
    260-300 gm protein
    The rest split between carbs and fat

Is this sufficient for mass building?

NOT in my opinion.....You really want to gain mass go for 5,000 cal's a day.
    Most of us (depending on size age) use about 2400-2500 calories just to maintain.
    So if your training hard and really want to grow. Eat, Eat, Eat.

By the way, the rep ranges I do now are the first time in all my years of training that
    I have done this. I am/used to be a HIT training enthusiast. So, I was skeptical at first but doing the reps with core excercises I am showing nice growth.

One thing I've learned over theyears is that there are NO rules. Do what works for YOU.........

Peace out

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Most succesful bodybuilders go with the ~15 rep range, give or take a little, Ronnie does tons of reps. There is no cookie cutter answer for a question like that, too many factors to plug into the equation to get a clear answer. My advice is to try out the major training methods, like DC, 10 x 10 and german volume training. See what works for you, if you switch between those listed for ~2 months each routine you should experience crazy, stretch mark causing, muscle growth.

Tnoel is offline New Member
    Get those calories up -- you are not going to gain serious mass eating 3000 calories a day.

Thread Information