Pitbull is offline Junior Member

Stress of competition preparion

Good day all

I would like to know how you other guys/ladies deal with the stresses of competition diet , especially the stresses it places on your relationship with your other half ?

doctorherb is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Well your spouse/gf/sig. other, MUST be supportive...When you feel like sh*t, it's hard not to lash out at others...you just got to stay focused on your goals and understand, if it was EASY, everyone would do it...The first time i competed, I was rude, MEAN, and short-fused with everyone close to me (wife, freinds, poarents, dog)....after the shows, i felt really guilty because I was able to reflect on the way I acted...that helped me later down the road, cuz I knew what to expect with the whole contest-prep concept.

SABAGOY is offline Junior Member
    I am 2 weeks out from my first show and the prep has killed me in more ways than one...I am stressed, tired, always ache and to top it off have no libido and shitty erections...but every time i look in the mirror everything feels like its been lifted off my shoulders...Through this experience i have learned that bodybuilding may seem like a sport that revolves only around you but it is far from it...effects everyone close to you.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorherb
    Well your spouse/gf/sig. other, MUST be supportive...When you feel like sh*t, it's hard not to lash out at others...you just got to stay focused on your goals and understand, if it was EASY, everyone would do it...The first time i competed, I was rude, MEAN, and short-fused with everyone close to me (wife, freinds, poarents, dog)....after the shows, i felt really guilty because I was able to reflect on the way I acted...that helped me later down the road, cuz I knew what to expect with the whole contest-prep concept.
    Aman to that, i could not have said it better...for me my wife is a National level Fitness/figure cometitor so she understands first hand how hard it gets...having a good support team is very nice, and we must not take everything personal that people say,even known it is hard at times...i used to take St.Johns Wort as it is herbal anti-depression sup., actually in germany it is a prescription drug...i have also used Bromo which seem to have improved my mood...XXL

my first show was alot like this, I was starving myself almost too much. I dont get like this anymore, I eat more carbs and look even more cut up.

kdtl61 is offline Junior Member
    I have been competing since 2000. 20 shows total. I would have made it to the first show it were not for my wife. She has made it all possible. Shopping and preparing all my food each and everyday. I try very hard to never get moody, short with her or anyone else. But most importantly her.
    Past years I have had a hard time taking care of all the extra stuff around the house. Outside maintance, indoor concerns etc.
    I have learned to not let yourself get behind on projects. If it needs fixed do it now. When you own a home there is always something to do. My wife keeps a nice home and I have a roll in that.

This year I started dieting in march for a Sept. show. For several reasons. But the #1 was to keep life easy, no extra pressure. I took care of most all spring project in sping. We have been able to out to eat a few times with friends etc.
    My goal was to make this diet and our lifestyle as simple and pain free as possible. it has worked.
    Now that I'm 5 weeks out our focus as husband and wife is all about the shows. She is up for it, I have not been a dick and in fact she is pushing me on my cardio and keeping me on the diet. She wants me to be as freaky as possible come show day. She would tell you that but in the same thought she has always worried about my health during these contest cycles. She just holds her breath on comp day and the next day is there to make sure I eat up and get back on track for the next show.

I have seen many couples break up over dieting and competitions.
    It's a shame. It's a hobby guys we have to remember that.

Good luck,
    kdtl61

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I believe the individual OWES it to his family and significant other to actively attempt to show respect when dieting.

When i started competing 6 years ago...i snapped at my family. My family quickly put me in my place. They told me frankly "We DID NOT tell you start competing..." thus, basically, they weren't expected to go out of their way to change their lives to avoid stepping on my toes...as competing was something that i'd undertaken for MYSELF.

I quickly realised that they were right. Respect those around you and they'll make contest prep easier. Even if they don't, respecting 'em will make life easier for you on a whole.

~Nark

Pitbull is offline Junior Member
    Thanx a lot for the replies so far guys , it really puts things a little more in perspective. For the first time I am also with someone that supports me in this and I want to put as little stress as possible on her and the relationship.

Thread Information