Thread: dieting

Roids6 is offline New Member

dieting

Hey guys, kind of have a couple questions on dieting, and hope everyone can benefit from these. I am 5'8, 180lb, 19%bf.....ouch. I want to get that down to a lower % before I start bulking again this winter. I am thinking of competing, well it has crossed my mind anyways. I am eating at least 1g per lb bodyweight in protein, carbs at 1g per lb as well, while trying to increase healthy fats. Is this fine? Here are some questions I have for dieting right now to get my bf% down while trying to keep most of the muscle:
    - how much cardio should be done each week and for how long? ( without doing too much, and is it ok to do first thing in the morning before eating?)
    - if I am doing a normal dieting phase, how low can I get my bf%, before having to do a pre-contest diet to get it lower? ( what are the big differences between dieting and pre-contest?)

If there is anywhere I can find really good advice that would be great. Any recomendations on nutritionsts that really know there stuff??
    Thanks

Death is offline Junior Member
    One sure fire way to reduce bodyfat is to stop eating complex carbs at night time.

After about 4-5pm in the evening you should eliminate all rice, potatoes, pasta etc.....If your 19% bodyfat, by doing this you will definately start reducing you bf without losing muscle as long as your protein intake is upheld. Now you have that sorted why not introduce cardio, first thing in morning or last thing at night for 3 times a week at 30min sessions. Having introduced cardio then maybe you can look at cleaning up your daytime eating as well, reduction of fats and relying more on clean unprocessed energy foods as well as your normal protein intake. Off the top of my head, theres a step by step introduction of stages to reduce bf. Always keep your protein high to keep positive nitrogen balance and the chances of losing muscle diminishes........
    Last edited by Death; 08-15-2005 at 02:37 AM.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Death
    One sure fire way to reduce bodyfat is to stop eating complex carbs at night time...
    only relevant if he were exceeding his daily allotment of calories...otherwise...that is a fallacy...twice as irrelevant if he trains in the late evening...like i do

Quote Originally Posted by Roids6
    Hey guys, kind of have a couple questions on dieting, and hope everyone can benefit from these. I am 5'8, 180lb, 19%bf.....ouch.
    i.e. current LBM= approx 146 lbs

I want to get that down to a lower % before I start bulking again this winter. I am eating at least 1g per lb bodyweight in protein, carbs at 1g per lb as well, while trying to increase healthy fats. Is this fine?
    You should adjust your macros to your LBM not your bodyweight.

Thus you current break down would be:

Maintenance Calories:

(estimated to 150 lb LBM): 1800 kcals

protein: 1 gr per lb LBM: 150 gr

Carbs: 1 gr per lb LBM: 150 gr

Fat: remaining caloric allotment (1800- [pro kcal+ fat kcal]): 67 gr

Here are some questions I have for dieting right now to get my bf% down while trying to keep most of the muscle:
    - how much cardio should be done each week and for how long? ( without doing too much, and is it ok to do first thing in the morning before eating?)
    Cardio should be done 3-5 times per week...at 45 minutes per session...no more nor less. First thing in the a.m. is ideal...on an empty stomach preferably.

- if I am doing a normal dieting phase, how low can I get my bf%, before having to do a pre-contest diet to get it lower? ( what are the big differences between dieting and pre-contest?)
    How low you can comfortably get is individualised. The main differences between 'dieting' and 'pre-contest' is the 'focus'. Dieting's main goal is to get down to manageable bodyfat percentage (i.e. 8-10 %)...pre-contest's focus is tweaking... i.e. getting to an extremely low BF % (3-6%)and then manipulating water balance in the latter stages.

~Narkissos

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    i.e. current LBM= approx 146 lbs

Maintenance Calories:

(estimated to 150 lb LBM): 1800 kcals

protein: 1 gr per lb LBM: 150 gr

Carbs: 1 gr per lb LBM: 150 gr

Fat: remaining caloric allotment (1800- [pro kcal+ fat kcal]): 67 gr

~Narkissos
    Of note: your carb timing is set-up around when you train... Carb allotment is relegated to breakfast, PWO meal 1 and PWO meal 2...as these three meals are the times when carbs'll be best assimilated.

So if you train in the late evening...i.e. 4-8 pm...seeing that you'll HAVE to ingest carbs post-training... this puts a hole in the "no carb's after 6 p.m." nonsense that people push.

~Narkissos

mitch911 is offline Member
    150g of protein is a lil low this seems like a starvation diet

only relevant if he were exceeding his daily allotment of calories...otherwise...that is a fallacy...twice as irrelevant if he trains in the late evening...like i do
    Hey Nark, just a reminder, hes 19% bodyfat. You dont think hes exceeded his caloric limit to get that? Ofcourse he has........ and just because you train late dosent mean you have to have complex carbs afterwards.......oh yeah..... and im talking nonsense?......having complex carbs after training probably is ideal but who says your theories are written in concrete and you HAVE to?.....oh yeah, you say that dont you.....
    Last edited by Death; 08-15-2005 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch911
    150g of protein is a lil low this seems like a starvation diet
    His LBM is 146 lbs...150 grams is adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Death
    Hey Nark, just a reminder, hes 19% bodyfat. You dont think hes exceeded his caloric limit to get that? Ofcourse he has........ and just because you train late dosent mean you have to have complex carbs afterwards.......oh yeah..... and im talking nonsense?......having complex carbs after training probably is ideal but who says your theories are written in concrete and you HAVE to?.....oh yeah, you say that dont you.....

Obviously,judging from the acidity of your reply, i struck a nerve... I did not say you were talking nonsense... just that what you said has been disproven so is no longer applicable.

Anyway... i don't wish to argue with you just for the sake of arguing...thus i'll ignore your reply on the grounds that any further reply on my part will only detract from the subject of this thread.

~Narkissos

mmmmmmmm........maybe i read your threads wrong then? (dont think so) Im all for sticking to replys to the original poster. Who dispvoved my theory? mate im not trying to disprove your theory but you are definately saying that mines no good and then you dont want to talk about it after doing so..........enough said.

Of note: your carb timing is set-up around when you train... Carb allotment is relegated to breakfast, PWO meal 1 and PWO meal 2...as these three meals are the times when carbs'll be best assimilated.

So if you train in the late evening...i.e. 4-8 pm...seeing that you'll HAVE to ingest carbs post-training... this puts a hole in the "no carb's after 6 p.m." nonsense that people push.

~Narkissos
    so should I only be taking in carbs at those times, breakfast, pwo 1 and pwo2? No carbs at the other meals? what about fibrous carbs, do those carbs count or..........?

thanks

hurley11 is offline Junior Member
    I would say when you eat complex carbs really doesn't matter as much as some people are saying since it takes DAYS to digest sometimes. The main goal is to keep your insulin levels from spiking and dipping and to keep your body from going into a catobolic state (ie using your muscle for energy). Also its still not a good idea to eat carbs. simple or complex right before you go to sleep but after a workout is essential no matter what time of the day. Fibre is always a good idea especially for someone who intakes a lot of protein becasue it will keep your digestive system flowing and I also recommend flax seed oil for your omega fatty acids. Hope that helps a little.

-are carbs needed before a workout for extra energy, or only at those thre times ( morning pwo 1, and pwo 2 meals) and them only?

-and about fibrous carbs? do they count towards your daily carb intake?

Pitbull is offline Junior Member
    Change one thing at a time and see what the result is. What is you r current schedule like ? , when do you train ? , post a sample of your average days diet then maybe we can see where the problem lies. Changing too many things at once and going from 0 - 5 days of cardio is going to push you right into over training. Also what kind of work do you do - active or sitting down most of the time ?

Thread Information