Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Redz122 is offline Associate Member

Why do you compete?

What is your reason(s) for competing? The majority of us don't place high after a competition and after all that money spent on gear and food to diet for a show, what use is there when your income is hurt by this sport?

Training is what I live for. The intensity, the drive, and the discipline all make me feel like a more complete soul.... The phsical and mental challenge is wonderful as is meeting so many fun and interesting people.

syd
    syd is offline Junior Member
    i have not competed yet...but plan too.

to pursue a dream is something very few do...dont ever sell yourself short...but what the hell do i know.

You know to follow your dream.........

Train Hard, Eat Big, Sleep Right and.......................Achieve!

I want to be the biggest, strongest mother****er in the universe...I want Scott Steiner to tremble at the sight of mt massive peaks and bow down and kiss them

MrMent1on is offline National Level Bodybuilder
    saturday march 19, was my first competition, I told myself that i'll decide if I like it or not i norder to continue. Well I got one 1st place and two 2nd places and I loved it. cant wait to get back on stage. I loved it so much that after that show I decided to do another in 2 day march 26, wish me luck.

Steele is offline Member
    i compete b/c i don't lift weights to get stronger, in fact i never have. i began lifting weights in pursuit of the greek god look. long story short i lift to look muscular and proportioned. that is bodybuilding. so, i did a show and now i am hooked. -STEELE

doctorherb is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    i did a show and now i am hooked. -STEELE
    it is addictive....I love being on stage

lil'Taylor is offline Tied up by WEBB
    I've done other competitions (like pageants and stuff) before, I've been athletic and trained all my life, my first competition is in June and I feel like this is what I was meant for. It's like combining the two!

My parents think that ppl who compete, especially figure, is just out to be seen and drooled over. It's really hard to convince them otherwise and that makes competing 100% harder without their support. However, my reason for competing is because although I was always good at the other, i never excelled. I feel that this is where i can excell!

Got hooked even more after I did my november 2005 show and walked away with 5 trophies all first places and overalls.. Quest is for my pro card now. July 15 2006.

HUNTER1 is offline Member
    good luck to you bro! you can do it

getnlarge18 is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'Taylor
    I've done other competitions (like pageants and stuff) before, I've been athletic and trained all my life, my first competition is in June and I feel like this is what I was meant for. It's like combining the two!

My parents think that ppl who compete, especially figure, is just out to be seen and drooled over. It's really hard to convince them otherwise and that makes competing 100% harder without their support. However, my reason for competing is because although I was always good at the other, i never excelled. I feel that this is where i can excell!
    Taylor,

Don't let the ignorance of others determine the happiness that you find for yourself. I had no support from friends or family for a long time. My dad views this as "strutting around onstage in a bikini for a bunch of perverts". In fact, my family has never seen me compete. This year I finally got sick of it and sat down for a serious conversation. I told my mom that I take figure much more seriously than she thinks. I explained that I view it as a second career...that I plan on making a name for myself in this industry, and that I am pursuing my pro card. I think explaining to her how much sacrifice I really HAVE made was kind of an eye-opener. They'll be going to my show next month...and since it's a BIG show, they'll definitely get a taste of the BB world! Point is...I never let their doubts stop me from achieving my goals. You have to do what you love.

Fjock is offline Associate Member
    100% addicted to the sport. Shaping my body has become my life. And i know i got what it takes to do whatever I need to win. I was made for this shit

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMent1on
    Got hooked even more after I did my november 2005 show and walked away with 5 trophies all first places and overalls.. Quest is for my pro card now. July 15 2006.
    Keep us posted bro. You won novice/open/and nationals all in one year?
    You da man!

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by syd
    i have not competed yet...but plan too.

to pursue a dream is something very few do...dont ever sell yourself short...but what the hell do i know.
    im with that guy

Baba is offline Associate Member
    honestly I believe I have what it takes. I'm also a bodybuilding freak and I see those guy looking great and having fun on stage. I just wanna be part of that.

syd, SVT, Baba, stop talkin the talk, and walk the walk....If you never compete, you'll regret it in your old age....Do it! You wont regret it...

Quote Originally Posted by IBdmfkr
    Keep us posted bro. You won novice/open/and nationals all in one year?
    You da man!
    And I'm still not a MOD, lol.

You're not around enough, must be off training while we're here chillin lol
    -B D
    DO NOT ASK FOR A SOURCE, NONE SHALL BE GIVEN.
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]
    If asking cycle advice Post up Stats/previous cycle experience/goals!

If asking diet advice Post Stats/current diet/goals!

“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

I B D
    AR VET

You're not around enough, must be off training while we're here chillin lol
    Sorry cant sacrifice my gym time for computer time.

You won novice/open/and nationals all in one year?
    Nationals??? I dont think so...Did you do nationals? Where did you place?

I reread the post #10. I guess he is going to compete nationals, but hasn't won yet. Still props.
    -B D
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]

I B D
    AR VET

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    I reread the post #10. I guess he is going to compete nationals, but hasn't won yet. Still props.
    If he won nationals, he would be a pro right now. He is probably nationals bound...

Nationals are in Nov. Must be talking bout the USA's, where only 2 pro cards are earned.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorherb
    Nationals??? I dont think so...Did you do nationals? Where did you place?
    He meant National level show last year, Jr. USA. this year I'll be doing two national shows for my pro-card. Team Universe in July in NYC and the Nationals in florida regardless if I earn my pro card in July. I am pro-bound I WILL earn ym pro card if not this year then next year.

He meant National level show last year, Jr. USA. this year I'll be doing two national shows for my pro-card. Team Universe in July in NYC and the Nationals in florida regardless if I earn my pro card in July. I am pro-bound I WILL earn ym pro card if not this year then next year.

what weight class? Middles?

what weight class? Middles?
    was middle, now light-heavy

Hope you've had exposure and know a few ppl. Higher up it gets, more politics.
    -B D
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]

I B D
    AR VET

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    if achieving a dream whatever it is as long as it is legit, wrong then what to live for?

Hope you've had exposure and know a few ppl. Higher up it gets, more politics.
    trust me, i know exactly what you mean, and that I have done.

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    I'm timing my first competition of May of '07. Right now I'm 6'0 225 at about 19%.... do you think it's possible to get into competition shape in a year since i'm really starting to dial in my diet and cardio?

DieselNYC80 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SVTMuscle
    I'm timing my first competition of May of '07. Right now I'm 6'0 225 at about 19%.... do you think it's possible to get into competition shape in a year since i'm really starting to dial in my diet and cardio?
    At your height and current weight you should concentrate on gaining more mass. Dont worry about diet quite yet and just grow. It stake roughly 3 months to get in contest shape if you are not to fat so you have a lot of time to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by DieselNYC80
    At your height and current weight you should concentrate on gaining more mass. Dont worry about diet quite yet and just grow. It stake roughly 3 months to get in contest shape if you are not to fat so you have a lot of time to grow.
    listen to the man, couldnt have said it better. if you were to strip down to competition shape right now, lets say 4% BF. you would weigh in at about a buck 75 to 180, and 6' 180 is not a good look. i would shoot for at least coming in around 198lbs the lightest. so get up to about 250lbs without adding fat ofcourse and work from there. attainable in 1 year.

Big Bapper is offline Member
    And I'm still not a MOD, lol.
    Well I put your name foward in the rescent post in the AS fourm, his comp track record speaks for itself. Who better to be a MOD than a top amauter who will be pro come July. Best of luck with your prep big man.

Competition makes you feel like you are part of a sport, its not just a hobby anymore. I done my first show nearly a month ago now, was very nervous I was in a line up of 17 compitors. But when my name got called out for the top 3 for the pose down at the eveing show. Something happened like a switch being turned on in my head, it was like I was in another world. Like an altered ego, it was a great buzz. Looking foward to my next show and I know there will be no nerves, i am just going to enjoy the Buzz. I think comps are good for your Bodybuilding after all the hard work we put in building ourselves up. I think there would be nothing worst than looking back when you are 60 and saying I wonder what I could of done if I had competed.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bapper
    Well I put your name foward in the rescent post in the AS fourm, his comp track record speaks for itself. Who better to be a MOD than a top amauter who will be pro come July. Best of luck with your prep big man.
    Thanks bro fo ryour kind words. I do what I can to hell out my fellow brothers.

I'd say VET before Mod as his time is limited.
    -B D
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]

I B D
    AR VET

Bump for MrMen1on for vet status. Respect

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bapper
    Who better to be a MOD than a top amauter who will be pro come July.

Funny how some peeps think it's that easy to get a pro card...Especially after only one year of competing...the last person to do that was Jay Cutler....Not to mention the fact that the LHW class is a mofo....BTW ment, you going drug free for the Team Universe?? It is a drug free show you know...

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Funny how some peeps think it's that easy to get a pro card...Especially after only one year of competing...the last person to do that was Jay Cutler....Not to mention the fact that the LHW class is a mofo....BTW ment, you going drug free for the Team Universe?? It is a drug free show you know...
    I was thinking all of the same things.

I attended nationals this past year in atlanta, and let me tell you ALL of them boys are LEGIT. They are all HUGE all over. the lightweights looke like heavies and the lightheavies look like super's at a state level show. It is crazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information