Thread: Cutting water

demetri is offline Member

Cutting water

I'm looking for a good water strategy for my next contest.

The last contest I did I started tapering my water 7 days out. Monday I went with 5 liters of water then down a liter a day. Saturday was no water and contest day (Sunday) I just sipped on a half liter of water all day.

I also took some herbal diuretics (dandilion root and some other herbals in the mix), sat in the sauna for 30 minutes a day too. I manged to loose about 10 pounds of water.

A friend of mine thinks that tappering the water is nuts. He increase his water intake and then cut it down to nothing 24 hours before the weigh in.

Any opinions out there?

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    This is what i see working for most ppl:

Sun - THrus 12 L of water, Friday 4l with just sipping after that if needed, but some much depends on carbing up or not, if you using diaredics etc.

Dr. Derek is offline Member
    cutting water 7 days out is not good, you need water throughout the last week. This is what I would typically do. when I start carb depleting I would drink three gallons a day all through the carb depletion process. When carbing up I start to reduce H2O intake, 1 gallon 1st 1/2 gallon the second day and 18 ozs the last day. But I use diuretics so it would be a different strategy if your going clean.

IMO your body needs some water as it is used in the transportation of glucose to the muscles while carbing up. Water is the trickest part of BB, if you figure it out your on your way to a successful showing.

Originally posted by Dr. Derek
    But I use diuretics so it would be a different strategy if your going clean.
    What do you use for diuretics? How do you use them?

well there are several different stategies that have proven efficient. I have yet to nail it down, however I will give you my scheme. IMO Mike XXL has nailed it down for his body type so it would be good to drop him a PM if he does not respond and get his imput. This is what I do.

I start with aldactone 5 days out, increasing slightly until day four then I will take dyazide in 8 hour intervals until the show, now dosage is going to be based on your BW, dieting scheme, and water intake. I suggest you really reasearch this topic as it is one of the most dangerous aspects of our sport. I will also keep injectable lasix on hand in case I see my body starting to spill over, this is very very dangerous and I would never recommend you do it, but there you have it diuretics by DR. D

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Diuretics installment by MIKE_XXL

This is what i did for my last show (you are from Canada, i can't believe i am giving you my secret, i might be competing against you one day...LOL...) but anyway, what i have done as far as the water consumption goes, i will drink about 2 gallons (8 liters) of water starting monday all the way to thursday, on friday i would drink 4 liters but all of it before 1:00pm. The diuretic i used was Dyiazide i used 50mg at 11:00 am, then again at 5:00 pm and last time 11:00 pm. I did not sip any water however after 6:00 pm on friday i started eating steamed veggies and steak, the steamed vaggies are relatively high in water, so they kept me well hydrated and my muscle bellies full. Saturday morning i took 50mg of diyazide at 6:00 am, and after that just waited to dial in for the 11:00am prejudging. All of this is assuming the show is on saturday morning and also one big factory in all of this is the foods you are eating, the carb up and fat loading, because it can all have big impact on the final results. It took me 4 shows to finally figure out what works for me, it was mostly trial and error, and help from great people on this board (Dr.D, Primo and E_C to name a few...)

Good luck Bro, PM me what show you are doing...XXL

primodonna is offline Female Member
    Diuretics installment by primodonna...

Don't start aldactone 7 days out
    What happens here, stays here

Thanks everyone for your great info. It's hard finding reliable information about diuretics. Most people usually screw them up and blame the diuretics.

I was toying with the idea of trying injectible lasix this time around. Mostly because I've read that they work within 5 minutes and only last for 30 (assuming that you dose correctly).

Mike_xxl, no worries about competing against me. I'm happy being a light weight, makes it fun when I pick on the heavy weight in the over all

Originally posted by demetri
    I was toying with the idea of trying injectible lasix this time around. Mostly because I've read that they work within 5 minutes and only last for 30 (assuming that you dose correctly).[/B]

Some of the effect while always remain for awhile, and it is most often the elctrolyte iinbalances that kill you. so be careful.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    This guys are spot on, but i found by cutting too much water, it does make the carb up very hard, not enought water and you don't fill out or pull sub Q water in, too much and it spills over, ideally if you have time might pay to do a few test runs.

Injectable lasix is very hard to get timing right, it pulls all the water from organs etc.. 1st then sub q, very easy to be flat if timing if off because to want to be starting to fill out again(that is water coming back into muscles/organs) but not sub q, I have yet to see anyone time lasix correctly. Adactone/Dyz... or demax seems to be easier route to take in terms of timing.

dieslgrl is offline Female Member
    I took 50mg aldactone Sunday and Monday, up to 75mg on Tuesday, and then 100mg on wednesday, then 1/2diazides every eight hours starting Thursday morning... 1/2 the morning of the show, and 1/2 after prejudging.
    dg
    chemical child

Originally posted by dieslgrl
    I took 50mg aldactone Sunday and Monday, up to 75mg on Tuesday, and then 100mg on wednesday, then 1/2diazides every eight hours starting Thursday morning... 1/2 the morning of the show, and 1/2 after prejudging.
    dg
    for christ sakes how were ya feeling on saturday????? Shit

Thread Information