Thread: Contest weight?

Padawan is offline Associate Member

Contest weight?

I competed in a teenage contest 10 years ago, and got beaten terribly. I was 5'9", came in at 165 pounds. Took 5th out of 9, which bummed me out.

Now, I am considering trying to compete again. I am currently 5'10", and weigh 225lbs. Stats are:

Chest 49"
    Arms 18" cold +/- 1/8th inch
    Quads 26"
    Calves 18.5"
    Waist 36"

What would be a good weight for me to target for a small competition, say a local show? I don't want to go onstage and embarass myself again, so I will not even think about competing until I feel I have enough size to do some damage. I guess I am somewhat tall for a BB, so I am guessing 220 lean would be my goal. Any of you that have competed have any thoughts on this? Here are some pics, before and after:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Contest weight?-front1991.jpg  

Here's me now, about a week ago:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Contest weight?-new.jpg  

Side Chest:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Contest weight?-sidechest.jpg  

Dr. Derek is offline Member
    I would say that you could come in in the middle of the lightheavies (192lbs or so). You look thick and with proper dieting you could keep most of your thickness. Don't let the weight fuck with your mind, bodybuilding is all about presenting a deception of size, the more shape and symmetry you have the bigger you look regardless of the weight class. I know alot of guys that would be good middle weights but they refuse to lose the weight. It's about looking big. I get hung up on weight as well but we all do. I bought my time competing in the lighter weight classes and it was time for me to move up to the supers.

Good luck and stick with, disregard the scales until about five weeks out.

So if I cut down to 192lbs +/-, at 5'10" would I be tall for the light heavies class? At 5'10", what would be an ideal weight to compete at, not pro, but just a local contest, given my height? I know the illusion factor, because I feel like appear bigger in the gym mirrors with the excellent overhead light and huge mirrors Too bad I didn't always look like that.
    Last edited by Padawan; 06-17-2002 at 02:28 AM.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    I agree with Dr. D. Matter of fact, I'm shooting for the same weight and I'm the same height. 5'10" isn't too tall for LH especially if you're in the 190-195 range (remember, we're not talking about National caliber shows). As far as the illusion factor, stage lights make you look even bigger than lockerroom lights...especially if you are suffieciently lean

Ok, that settles it. There was a show here in town over the weekend, I think I will plan on doing it next year. One year to prepare, should be fun

I'll have to track my progress the way you have Pete. I've been watching your posts with great interest. Cheers!

Dr. Derek is offline Member
    5'10 is a good height for a light heavy in a local show. If your talking regional or national level shows then its a different story, depending on the part of the country you live in but around the Northeast, people that are 5'10 are weighing anywhere from 199-235. Good luck on your journey.

Thread Information